10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

Razer headset microphone not working

Hello all.

So essentially, I recently bought a Razer Kraken Pro headset and the mic isn't working. Actually, no, it is working, but only if i hold it literally half a centimeter from my mouth and even then the voice recognition is pathetic. I've tried going to Realtek HD Audio Manager and under "Microphone" changing the Recording Volume on both sliders to max. I also tried going to Control Panel->Sound->Recording->Microphone->Properties->Levels. Here, I changed both the "Microphone" and "Microphone Boost" to max.

Not only does the mic not recognize my voice with such pumped up settings, there's way too much background noise like that. I tested it on Mumble under the Audio Wizard as well as using Windows' "Set up a microphone". When i try using my old shit-quality Logitech headset or my laptop even-worse-quality microphone, my voice gets recognized just fine. There just seems to be a problem with this Razer headset apparently which honestly surprises me a lot. But then again i just could be a mong.

So if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried downloading the razer synapse software and changing the settings within that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Have you tried downloading the razer synapse software and changing the settings within that?
    Nope, i tried looking for some Razer audio drivers on their site but couldn't find any. Gonna download now and report back.

Edit: According to their site, that's a mouse/keyboard software.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-12-28 at 05:47 PM.

Sounds like a faulty set.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    I just downloaded their guide for the headset and this is what one picture there shows:

The very short manual that i got with the headset, though, says the opposite, that green is stereo and pink mic, which is actually the norm. I have in fact never heard of green being mic and pink stereo, but ignoring that, the microphone actually seems to work when i plug it in where the stereo jack is supposed to go. Unfortunately, there is no sound if i do that and plug the stereo jack where the mic one is supposed to go.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:52 AM ----------

I just tried the same headset on my bro's computer. They worked there. I then tried his headset (Razer Tiamat) on my computer and my voice did get recognized properly although the sound quality of my voice was a lot worse in comparison with when i tried my own on his computer. Which leads me to believe it's actually some sort of PC problem. The sound quality of my voice on my own PC with his headset is on par with the sound quality of my voice that i have when i use the piece-of-shit Logitech set.

So essentially it seems to me like my PC is downgrading all microphone quality to shit, and also downgrading the quality of my Razer Kraken Pro mic to utter non-existence. Just for info, the PC i have is a laptop (yeah, i know, laptops always create problems like this one), Asus G73, and i have Windows 7.

Deleted
    hey can you tell me how you fix it because i got the same problem

Also had the same problem, untill I downloaded the new audio driver. Try going on Run, type dxdiag, see what driver you have, and see if there is a new one out there.

Hey man, I really need my headset to work. What do I do in DxDiag? Please help!

I have tried the previous suggestions with no results (or not acceptable results). I don't know about fixing the problem, but here's my workaround: I just bought a USB audio adapter and the mic now works flawlessly. The specific one I got was the "Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter" on amazon. Hope it works out for you guys!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Hello all.

So essentially, I recently bought a Razer Kraken Pro headset and the mic isn't working. Actually, no, it is working, but only if i hold it literally half a centimeter from my mouth and even then the voice recognition is pathetic. I've tried going to Realtek HD Audio Manager and under "Microphone" changing the Recording Volume on both sliders to max. I also tried going to Control Panel->Sound->Recording->Microphone->Properties->Levels. Here, I changed both the "Microphone" and "Microphone Boost" to max.

Not only does the mic not recognize my voice with such pumped up settings, there's way too much background noise like that. I tested it on Mumble under the Audio Wizard as well as using Windows' "Set up a microphone". When i try using my old shit-quality Logitech headset or my laptop even-worse-quality microphone, my voice gets recognized just fine. There just seems to be a problem with this Razer headset apparently which honestly surprises me a lot. But then again i just could be a mong.

So if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi
    If you have a desktop try plugging in the headset on the motherboard mounted plugs at the back of the computer somehow it helped for me. I tried the mic boost too it didn't help.
    Hope it helps

Deleted
    Hello, I just bought the same headset and I've got problems with mic's recording quality too. After investigating a bit on forums I've found out what is the source of the problem, and it's comes from the cable's design. The problem is that the headset was designed to be used with both mobile devices and PCs too, so Razer went with the Y spliter, and since Y spliters uses a common ground cable for input and output instead of two completely separate ones cheaper sound cards and laptops may have problems dealing with it. That's why you may hear background noise, experience terrible recording quality, and-or you can actually can hear the sound of a USB port next to the Jack ports. (I could hear my mouse pooling rate..) The solutions what I've found is a cheap external USB sound card, or you could buy a more serious sound card.

Hope I could help you!
    Last edited by mmoc7f898dba04; 2014-01-20 at 12:23 AM.

The mic may "work" when you plug in the stereo as a speaker is a microphone. Plugging your headphones into a microphone socket will work as a microphone, it probably won't sound very good and may possibly be very quiet but it will always work.

The chances are your mic is screwed and you've just been using the headphone speakers themselves as a microphone. I could be wrong and it could be unrelated of course, but I've used a set of headphones in a pinch as a mic for skype on my laptop (since my laptop mic stopped working).
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-01-20 at 02:34 AM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I just downloaded their guide for the headset and this is what one picture there shows:

The very short manual that i got with the headset, though, says the opposite, that green is stereo and pink mic, which is actually the norm. I have in fact never heard of green being mic and pink stereo, but ignoring that, the microphone actually seems to work when i plug it in where the stereo jack is supposed to go. Unfortunately, there is no sound if i do that and plug the stereo jack where the mic one is supposed to go.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:52 AM ----------

I just tried the same headset on my bro's computer. They worked there. I then tried his headset (Razer Tiamat) on my computer and my voice did get recognized properly although the sound quality of my voice was a lot worse in comparison with when i tried my own on his computer. Which leads me to believe it's actually some sort of PC problem. The sound quality of my voice on my own PC with his headset is on par with the sound quality of my voice that i have when i use the piece-of-shit Logitech set.

So essentially it seems to me like my PC is downgrading all microphone quality to shit, and also downgrading the quality of my Razer Kraken Pro mic to utter non-existence. Just for info, the PC i have is a laptop (yeah, i know, laptops always create problems like this one), Asus G73, and i have Windows 7.
    (SOLVED) this litterly sloved the problem for me thanks