Thread: Bad Internet?

Bad Internet?

What does it mean when the internet DSL service for everyone in your area is throttled to dial-up speeds (not even joking) and randomly shutting down on a daily basis for hours on end?
    I live somewhat in the middle of nowhere and many of the people I know that live around me are all having the same problems.
    So far it has been going on for two weeks. The only place that isn't having any problems is the High School, and it uses the exact same service, Windtream.
    I know some people that live in the small town closer to the school that figured out the Wifi security code because their Internet was either not working or too slow.

Is it possible they are upgrading to expand their service? I always see the green Windstream van every week driving up and down the road, I imagine the guy is getting tired of his job by now?
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-29 at 07:15 AM.

Have you tried contacting them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

10+ Year Old Account
    internet DSL service for everyone in your area is throttled to dial-up speeds
    DSL is not shared between other people near you like Cable does. "Traffic" is not really a thing. So it's just you. I would call them, if you feel it's not a problem on your end. Have you tested any of it?

Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    Have you tried contacting them?
    Yes. Usually I'm met with a computer over the phone that will ask questions and such. But nobody has never given any helpful information.
    "Oh we know the internet is down. It should be back up in a few hours." Is as far as I ever get, seems whoever is using the phone knows nothing else. I'm short of expecting it to be a AI with built in responses to mimic a real person and sooth the upset caller with pleasing information.
    Next time I'll ask them if they like brownies... Should stump it. >: )

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    DSL is not shared between other people near you like Cable does. "Traffic" is not really a thing. So it's just you. I would call them, if you feel it's not a problem on your end. Have you tested any of it?
    Yes, a few of my friends I visit often seem even worse off then me (and yes we are using the same service plan,Windstream Internet and Phone for $50 a month.)
    I've also called and they behave as if there's nothing wrong with anything. They've offered to send someone out to take a look.
    Just a few days ago my phone stopped working and there was no dial tone (yea... still using land line here. Cellular services rarely work as intended.) The guy that came out opened the box against the phone pole out at the front drive and fixed whatever had gone wrong. I guess it was just a coincidence? o_O

I use a application to monitor any download/upload activity and keeps a history of my usage (I use it out of curiosity.)
    There's hardly any activity aside from my web browser or game.
    I have two computers in the house both connected to the same router. I've reset it a dozen times to no avail.
    The second computer is also never downloading anything and is usually switched off.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-29 at 07:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you have crap service then, and need to start asking for refunds/credits. Are there no other services in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It sounds like you have crap service then, and need to start asking for refunds/credits. Are there no other services in the area?
    Not that I know of. (I haven't check in three years, it may have changed.) There is a satellite internet service (about the only thing that seems to work, I've seen it) and the speeds seem fine, but I believe they charged for a arm and a leg and gave allotted amounts to use for the day (probably depending on how much is paid.) I don't know exactly how it all worked out.
    Last edited by Libram; 2012-12-29 at 02:41 PM.