Thread: Warcraft lore

Deleted

Warcraft lore

What do mmo-champs think warcraft lore? Is it too geeky to know warcraft lore? Im just talking about me and my friends, and we count reading quests and learning lore as geeky. We dont know a shit (and couldnt care less) bout lore, but still play and enjoy game. I've sometimes thought about starting to read quests and stuff, but the whole lore just seems to cheesy to bother to learn anything. What do you people think, is it worth to learn the lore or not?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    No, it's not too geeky. Honestly, it's just like watching Lord of the Rings and having ACTUALLY read the books. Learn the lore, and enjoy the game more - it's that simple.
    Honestly, if you are busy branding stuff as geeky in an mmorpg (which is probably the geekiest kind of game) - you are doing it wrong.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft hits highly into the comic book theme of story telling. If you like comic books like spiderman, superman, x-men, batman, then your probably like warcraft lore and what its has to it. I've often thought how warcraft develops itself into good comic book themes because of the way the story presents itself, big bold characters and backdrops and huge fights against big evils.. its a comic book fans dream.

Its not for everyone, some don't give a shit about the story and just want to play the game. To me, I love the warcraft story and its lore characters, so i buy the novels and read the quest text.

If you find it a strain to get into, its probably not for you.
    #boycottchina

I thought the same until I read the intro lore on the WoW main website. I was actually impressed, and think WoW lore is quite decent. It is very diverse, and MoP (in MY opinion) is worth reading the quests.

It has really increased my enjoyment playing the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If you find it a strain to get into, its probably not for you.
    Well im more of a kind of person who likes GTA IV -like story telling. Maybe thats the reason I dont get into warcraft lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes Recursiv reminded me, take some time and look on the official wow website for the short stories and leader stories you can read there for free. If you don't get into it from those.. well, you may never do, but take a look.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 01:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pandareeni View Post
    Well im more of a kind of person who likes GTA IV -like story telling. Maybe thats the reason I dont get into warcraft lore.
    thats fair enough. like say, wow lore is its own genre and might not be for everyone, but theres plenty of access to some of the stories and lore around it if you want to understand. I do recommend using wowpedia to look over the lore and history if you want any brief descriptions of things you don't understand in it.
    #boycottchina

My first experience with the Warcraft lore was when I bought Warcraft III: RoC and later on the expansion.
    Then I was hooked, and if it weren't for them I wouldn't probably play WoW.
    So the lore is a big part for me.

The word "geeky","nerdy" itself have no real meaning. It's all about what you like and don't like. That's it.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrall, son of Durotan View Post
    My first experience with the Warcraft lore was when I bought Warcraft III: RoC and later on the expansion.
    Then I was hooked, and if it weren't for them I wouldn't probably play WoW.
    So the lore is a big part for me.
    Indeed - big part of both learning the lore and learning to enjoy the lore, is buying or at least playing the previous games. Yes - even Warcraft 1 and 2 even if the lore and general story in both games have either been retconned or were a bit too silly or basic.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

If you enjoy something it is never too geeky or too nerdy.

The lore is as important to me as the gameplay itself. I think Blizzar struck gold with Warcraft 3 and the books that came around the same time, opening space for the coming of WoW.

As much as I complain about important lore being told only in books, it was this mix between game, books and comics that made the lore what is today.

I only play this game for the lore -_-

I have the entire warcraft lore churning around my head with the diff races events and lands. Over the years i've spent hours every few weeks reading up on new stuff in wowpedia (used to be wowwiki till later this year, R.I.P. Wowwiki).

I wouldnt say i can call on it at a moments, its simply too massive in that but i can make links and chain events and not be confused about the facts on the matter or the opinions of each char on the situation while maintaining my own. It helps i've read some of the comics, borrowed a few books and played all the RTS titles. Not to mention stayed active in WoW and do the world quest achievement twice (pre and post cata) while actually reading the quests.

Then again iam an info-maniac and suffer from severe information-poisoning. WoW isnt the only fictional world's lore i keep up with. And i must mention that i cant keep up with LOTR, though i do try but i do know a lot of things most people dont know. Nothing to be proud of or superior about. I just have a hunger for information handling and course of events. Which is odd cause i hate history (actually i love history but i despise how mainstream institutions go about teaching it, much like how they ruin wonderful "classic" books for students which is addressed through the principles of Self-determination motivational theory (IE situation A: Volunteer enjoys their work and contributions but when hired in a full time capabity and paid for it they lose motivation to perform the task because they feel like they're obligated to do so now or they wont get paid. The diff being that its not what they want ot do but now what they HAVE to do.)

But yeah. i enjoy the lore for the lore too. Specially the night elf, old god and certain fave chars lore. I do wish to see more draenai dealing with being on azeroth lore but thats not been fed to often, though it had its places but most only through velen or nubundo.