Deleted

[Movies] Les Miserables. (spoilers)

discuss everything related to the concerts, book, movie, songs etc.

- I'll start with glorifying Alphie Boe as Jean Valjean, he is just awesome!!! (O2 concert)

- Hugh Jackman overacts a bit.

- Javert/Russel Crowe is too nasal in the movie but the good thing is the songs adapts to him instead he to the songs xD

- Anne Hathaway performance was very good for the screen.

- Samantha Barks is lovely and I have a crush on the Queen of the Friendzone.

- Cosette was portrayed very lovely and cute on screen.

- Marius/Eddie Redmayne has a good emotion manipulation acting going on there.

- Thenardiers/sacha cohen and helena bonham-carter were a near perfect duo for the role. But I missed a certain vibe.

- I totally recommend the 25th anniversary O2 concert!! (you can find the full concert on youtube!)
    25th anni concert should be attractive for younger people, older people (everyone tbh) should consider the 10th anniversary.
    Last edited by mmoc058e0f1fe5; 2012-12-30 at 12:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    10th Anniversary Concert is a thousand times better than the 25th!
    And I did kind of suspect Russel Crowe might not live up to expectations as Javert
    my parents love the 10th one but i agree it was a better performance, however the 25th one stays my favorite since that was the first concert ever I attended =D

And I am glad they got Samantha barks instead of taylor swift (which they really considered O.o)

Deleted
    Yeah, Barks was one of my favorites in 25th, along with 25th's Adult Cosette. Seems I won't get to see this movie until February though
    I went to the pre-screening. They were testing the dutch subs and asked a very small audience to fill out a form (25 man or so). the funny part is the subs were messed up and movie out of sync (1s or so) after thenardiers song xD
    Otherwise I would be waiting too =/
    But alas, I will be going again once it is officially released in Belgium! =D
    Last edited by mmoc058e0f1fe5; 2012-12-30 at 01:02 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I saw the new movie the other day and while I enjoyed it, I didn't love it. It was well performed and everyone did a good job, but no one did a great job. (except Anne Hathaway who was fantastic)

On the other hand, Les Miserables as never been my favorite musical so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Brightamethyst; 2012-12-30 at 07:59 AM.

Deleted
    Is there dialogue in this aside from singing? I watched about 15 minutes of Phantom of the Opera and had to switch it off before my head exploded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Is there dialogue in this aside from singing? I watched about 15 minutes of Phantom of the Opera and had to switch it off before my head exploded.
    No, and it drove me insane. I'm not a musical fan to begin with, but I really hated the movie. I really only went for the free popcorn and soda (someone else paid for me to go).

I'm told the book is worlds better than the movie, it seems like they just wanted to do too much with too little time, so the "story" suffered horribly.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to confess, this was probably my favorite in the movie. I wasn't too fond of Crowe's or Wolverine's performance, but Barks was lovely as always.
    Not that the vid worked, but damn you for linking On My Own. That song makes me want to die inside, but god do I love it. Eponine is just the best and getting Sam Barks from the 25th anniversary concert (who is stupid hot btw) to play her was just a phenomenal choice. I love me some Taylor Swift (in moderation), but sweet god would it have potentially killed 'Ponine for me.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 10:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    There is very, very little non-singing dialogue. It is still absolutely phenomenal but it is something you are going to have to like going in or you'll want to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    No, and it drove me insane. I'm not a musical fan to begin with, but I really hated the movie. I really only went for the free popcorn and soda (someone else paid for me to go).

I'm told the book is worlds better than the movie, it seems like they just wanted to do too much with too little time, so the "story" suffered horribly.
    Its one of the greatest novels ever, so ya, the book is better than the movie, or the musical, or the television versions. It is still a pretty great adaptation though and you don't lose the main storyline at all. You do lose out on some of the ridiculous, ridiculous layers of detail though but that is expected when you trim a 1,000 page novel into a 2.5 hour movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree. Barks was such a rock in this mess of a cast. Nice to see a familiar reliable face.
    I was quite fond of Enjolras too, and the Gavroche was adorable!

Oh, and since previous vid did not work. How 'bout this one?
    What I want to know is where the hell did they get both of the main kid actors for this movie (Gav and Cosy) and why the hell isn't every Hollywood director looking in that place for kid actors? They were both ridiculously great.

Also, I held it together pretty well throughout (surprisingly). Nothing more than a misty eye here or there (especially the Anne Hathaway scene), but when Eponine died I totally cried.