Poll: Do we deserve a compensation for not being able to play today?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Nope. Get used to it. Why have a thread on MMO-champion? Is it so you can bitch about this? Go outside or something..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    It's a Saturday. It's time to relax
    Then go watch a movie or put on the Star Wars Blu-Ray collection and you won't notice the servers are down...but you're still lazy.
    BfA Beta Time

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle View Post
    Then go watch a movie or put on the Star Wars Blu-Ray collection and you won't notice the servers are down...but you're still lazy.
    =O now I am sad =(

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont rly care about todai anyway, was just gonna do dailies then off to the games i bought on steam sale, so y.. and 15 euro (i think thats the price atm) divided into the days of this month = 0.48 euro.. so i think you'll survive without compensation, since what did u really have to do in the game todai that was so importent that u need a days compensation?

What would a day of compensation actually do for you? Make you feel better?

10+ Year Old Account
    No you don't.

If you think you 'deserve' compensation for less than 24 hours of being able to play a video game you are going to have serious problems with the rest of your life; you may want to start adjusting now.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Blizzard are responsible for providing the service of WOW to us, although Blizzard were not directly responsible for today's problem, today they were unable to provide this service. As we have a contract with Blizzard to provide this service they cannot simply turn around tell us that a third party (their ISP in this case) is responsible. The third party has no obligation towards us as we have no contract with them unlike Blizzard, part of their contract will have agreed levels of compensation that Blizzard are due should their services be affected by unexpected downtime, this will take into account any compensation they have to pay to their customers as well as things such the cost to their business in the form of lost customers, etc.

In such cases where the customer is due compensation it is normal practice for the company that customer has the contract with to pay the compensation to the customer and then seek compensation from the party whose fault it is. So, essentially Blizzard would not pay for the downtime.

I hope this clears it up for you.

I would argue that any business that seen the loss of customers that Blizzard has, needs to offer something to their customers when such a situation as today arises.
    Except that Blizzard did provide the service. If you try to go to a website, and a router is down that you connect through, so you can't get to the website, but other people that don't go through that router can get to, is that website supposed to give you something because you couldn't get through? WoW itself was up. You just couldn't connect to it to play.

Or, to put it another way, you and some friends are supposed to see a movie. You live on an island, where there is a bridge to the mainland. For some reason, the bridge is closed, and you cannot get to the mainland to watch the movie. The movie theater doesn't owe you a free showing because you couldn't get to the theater.

Contract or not, WoW was up and running. Blizzard is under no obligation to compensate you for someone else's failure.

Or, to put it yet ANOTHER way - you want to play WoW, but your power is out. It does not come back on for a day. Does Blizzard owe you compensation because you had no electricity? Of course not.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/5171/91333191.png

....release was a bumbpy ride... and you cry cause of one probleme? :|

for my part nope i dont need a compensation .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Recklol View Post
    All the people saying "Lol stop bitching"....We have paid for this service and we are not receiving it....Therefore, like with any company, we should be liable for compensation considering the product we are paying for has been down, for no fault of the customers own.

It may not be Blizzards fault, but its most certainly not the paying customers fault.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 06:46 PM ----------

Its BLIZZARDS ISP...Not anyone elses....Do you read front page at all?
    It is not THEIR ISP, it's an ISP that has a special contract with Blizzard. It is in NO way Blizzard's property.

And i don't give a damn if i get a free day or not. I play WoW a lot (some could say too much), but this really doesn't bother me at all. For all i care it could've gone down for another 24 hours and i would be just fine.

There are just so many people that care so much for their €0,50 that it's getting quite sad. Surely people have better things to do aswell.

Back in Vanilla/TBC blizzard did this kind of thing all the time. Nowadays they have owners expecting revenue behind them, and I would say it's unlikely, even though it would be grand of them to do it.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Except that Blizzard did provide the service. If you try to go to a website, and a router is down that you connect through, so you can't get to the website, but other people that don't go through that router can get to, is that website supposed to give you something because you couldn't get through? WoW itself was up. You just couldn't connect to it to play.

Or, to put it another way, you and some friends are supposed to see a movie. You live on an island, where there is a bridge to the mainland. For some reason, the bridge is closed, and you cannot get to the mainland to watch the movie. The movie theater doesn't owe you a free showing because you couldn't get to the theater.

Contract or not, WoW was up and running. Blizzard is under no obligation to compensate you for someone else's failure.

Or, to put it yet ANOTHER way - you want to play WoW, but your power is out. It does not come back on for a day. Does Blizzard owe you compensation because you had no electricity? Of course not.

Thanks for the reply. It does not matter that WOW was technically up and running the simple fact is that people could not access a service they had paid for. When you buy goods or a service you enter into a contract with the seller/provider and that entails certain obligations to the customer. We, as WOW players, have a contract with Blizzard and they are obligated to provide access to WOW which today they could not provide. Blizzard have a contract with their ISP and they are obligated to provide a service to Blizzard that allows their players to access WOW.

Whilst Blizzard's ISP was at fault today, we have no contract with Blizzard's ISP as such we have recourse with them. As our contract exists with Blizzard we (although I would say that the outage today is by no means long enough) are entitled to ask them to refund us for the time we have paid for their service but not received it. Blizzard is then entitled to claim compensation from its ISP for the outage. This is standard business practice.

I won't go into your island cinema situation because even for these boards it is quite ridiculous. If the electricity is out at my house then I am not entitled to compensation from Blizzard although the electricity supplier is legally obligated to compensate me once the power has been out for a certain time. However if the power is out at Blizzard's end and I cannot access the game then it for Blizzard to refund my lost game time and then claim this back from the power company.

I'm guessing you're part of the "sue-happy" nation.

Deleted
    These are the people I fear for when the plug eventually gets pulled on WoW. If you can't think of anything else to do on a Saturday then you have some serious issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Engelen View Post
    Needed? No. Appreciated? Sure.
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments.
    ^Completely agree

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Blizzard are responsible for providing the service of WOW to us, although Blizzard were not directly responsible for today's problem, today they were unable to provide this service. As we have a contract with Blizzard to provide this service they cannot simply turn around tell us that a third party (their ISP in this case) is responsible. The third party has no obligation towards us as we have no contract with them unlike Blizzard, part of their contract will have agreed levels of compensation that Blizzard are due should their services be affected by unexpected downtime, this will take into account any compensation they have to pay to their customers as well as things such the cost to their business in the form of lost customers, etc.

In such cases where the customer is due compensation it is normal practice for the company that customer has the contract with to pay the compensation to the customer and then seek compensation from the party whose fault it is. So, essentially Blizzard would not pay for the downtime.

I would argue that any business that seen the loss of customers that Blizzard has, needs to offer something to their customers when such a situation as today arises.
    You do not have any contract with Blizzard. You are paying them to allow you to access their servers. If it were a contract you wouldn't just be able to stop paying the sub as you wish. Additionally if it were a contract many people who play would be breaking the law in America and possibly elsewhere people under the age of 18 cannot enter into a legally binding contract. I think you are a tad confused on what a contract is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    Nevermind, sounds like an EU problem lol

but you'll probably recieve a free day of game time
    nah those days are long gone

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 02:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    No you don't.

If you think you 'deserve' compensation for less than 24 hours of being able to play a video game you are going to have serious problems with the rest of your life; you may want to start adjusting now.
    yep, since video games and forums dictates future, known since before dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    You do not have any contract with Blizzard. You are paying them to allow you to access their servers. If it were a contract you wouldn't just be able to stop paying the sub as you wish. Additionally if it were a contract many people who play would be breaking the law in America and possibly elsewhere people under the age of 18 cannot enter into a legally binding contract. I think you are a tad confused on what a contract is.
    Whenever you purchase any service or goods you enter into a contract with the seller/provider and the seller or provider has certain commitments to the customers and vice versa, because the terms and conditions are not written down does not make it any less of a contract. If we do not have a contract with Blizzard then what is the EULA that so many are so fond of linking?

Simply put a contract is an agreement between two or more parties. The contracts that under 18s cannot commit to are usually those that require a long term commitment to pay for a service or product, but any under 18 year is allowed to purchase a product from a shop and thus enter into a contract with that shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    For reasons out of the control of the paying customers, people were unable to play for most of the day.

it's common courtesy to comp us that one day.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30