Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you do when you have a cold?

I mean how to entertain yourself? I'm already drinking tea while sitting in 4 sweathers and using packages after packages of tissues and taking vitamins. Napping is not an option, because I can't seem to fall asleep, tried it already a few times. Sitting on computer for longer periods isn't an option either since the fan seems to make cold air... which seems colder then it was when i wasn't sick.

I blame santa for my cold, since I've been sick since the 25th...

Edit: Thanks all for advice. For people with colds like me, hang in there, hope you get better soon.

As for advice, if you have a clogged nose, put a bit of pepper on your tongue. Not much, just a taste(don't breathe it). Seriously. It worked. It unclogged my nose instantly. I thought it was a joke at start but thought to try since in worst case I'd have gotten a bad taste in my mouth, but it worked. And if you dislike spicy stuff, don't worry, if your cold is bad enough, you won't even feel the taste. I didn't.

Edit 2: Ok, since you've been helpful with the pepper idea, now another question, if your nose starts dripping blood, you stop it, but because of the sneezing it keeps restarting, what do you do?
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-12-28 at 10:31 PM.

Deleted
    Soup, always soup.

Soup and Orange juice.

Not at the same time.

Typically I lay on the couch/bed and marathon through a few console games or tv series

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never gotten a cold, not that I can recall.. but I'd imagine I would sit down with a big cup of hot chocolate and waste my time away on he-... i mean.... do something super constructive and writey.

Lightly (not vigorously) exercise when I feel one coming on. It fires up the immune system.

Sleep, or play video games. Or maybe read a book. At least I imagine that's what I would be doing, I haven't been sick the last couple of years.

Deleted
    Read a book.

Deleted
    Watch series on TV, just sleep through the days if possible, just lie in bed being lazy or spend a lot of time in warm baths.

Lay on the couch with a liter of something to drink and watch house reruns all day or perhaps law and order reruns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Soup, always soup.

Soup and Orange juice.

Not at the same time.
    I am actually eating actual oranges. They're not very entertaining though.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Typically I lay on the couch/bed and marathon through a few console games or tv series
    Ah yes, nothing on tv except crap. Funny, I have 40 tv stations and they all give either shit or stuff I've already seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I've never gotten a cold, not that I can recall.. but I'd imagine I would sit down with a big cup of hot chocolate and waste my time away on he-... i mean.... do something super constructive and writey.
    First cold in 2 years. In general I get a cold about once per year. This time though it's worse then last time. Write stuff seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Lightly (not vigorously) exercise when I feel one coming on. It fires up the immune system.
    I exercise around 20-30 min each day so... didn't work very well.

Deleted
    I immediately go take a bath, for a long time, being beneath the hot water is very good.

Some times, I wish I had a pool with hot water instead, that way I could swim in hot water!

10+ Year Old Account
    I drink Campari, club soda and orange juice until I'm too drunk to care. It takes about 2 days of constant drinking to get that drunk on Campari.

Try and stop smoking.

Deleted
    Or you could connect the computer to the TV and watch movies from there. May I recommend southparkstudios.com?

-Zinc Gluconate lozenges may be used in the first 48 hours of symptoms. These are clinically proven to shorten the duration and severity of cold symptoms. It is hypothesized that the zinc coats your cell membranes, making it difficult for cold virus to attach and infect them. However zinc may not help after the first 48 hours.

-Chicken soup or chicken broth. There is some evidence that this boosts your immune system, and it makes you feel really good.

-Hot tea with honey

-Menthol, such as in Vicks or Ricola, can feel very soothing. (This is my favorite, personally.)

-Spicy foods, if you enjoy them, can help flush out your nose and throat.

-Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) will help you sleep. Decongestants such as Sudafed will keep you awake.

-Do not drink dairy products like hot chocolate, as dairy tends to make you produce even more mucous and this can make you feel very congested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Try and stop smoking.
    I don't smoke, never did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Or you could connect the computer to the TV and watch movies from there. May I recommend southparkstudios.com?
    That's actually a good idea. The connecting part, I generally don't like south park.

Deleted
    Soupspoon filled with tabasco, or something equally spicy, its not fun, infact it hurts like hell.
    But the cold will be gone.

No really I'm serious but you really need to go over the top with the spicy, because spicy kills micro-organisms (proven fact)

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 06:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I generally don't like south park.
    This doesn't makes sence to me Oo How can you not like southpark?

I'm terrible at realising I have a cold, so... probably nothing?

Deleted
    Hot, peppery chicken soup. Lots of it too, keep it coming all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a cold as well atm. But everyone at my office is sick atm so alas, I have to go to work.

When I get home however I will be taking a scalding hot bath and while reading my Kindle(girlfriend got em a waterproof cover for it).

Cup of soup, grilled cheese, apples and carrots with ranch dressing for dinner cause its what my mom use to make me when I was sick. Then I am going to pop a movie in and fall asleep on the couch again so I can attempt to not get my girlfriend sick.