Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mage critting over 150k on Arena VS fully Malevolent/Dreadful chars.

Anyone knows what the fuck is happening?
    Twice vs the same team, double heal pala and 1 arcane mage. Guy just spams Arcane Explosion and then oneshots any one of us.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then don't let him cast?

Double healer is scum but the mage shouldn't be that hard to burst down if you can manage to CC the healers.

Also, 150k isn't a one shot. If its double healer that means the mage is the only one that does any real damage. Just stick on him until you get some lucky burst or a good CC chain.

Double Edit: Just LoS him. He doesn't have pet freeze so it shouldn't be an issue.
    Last edited by Orangetai420; 2012-12-29 at 10:01 PM.

You should probably post a combat log of that "Oneshot"

Deleted
    Yes mate interrupt those arcane explosions!

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Then don't let him cast?

Double healer is scum but the mage shouldn't be that hard to burst down if you can manage to CC the healers.

Also, 150k isn't a one shot. If its double healer that means the mage is the only one that does any real damage. Just stick on him until you get some lucky burst or a good CC chain.
    Don't let him cast instant casts abilities?

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a mage, he probably CC'd two of them with ease leaving a few other CC on backup because mages have like 57. But mages aren't OP guys its warriors... Yeah, uh huh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Don't let him cast instant casts abilities?
    He's killing you with arcane explosion?

He's spamming it to get stacks and then casting Arcane Blast.... just interrupt it... and then he can't blink away...

He just does Arcane Explosions and then in a single burst, we're talking 1 to 2s here, he's doing ~400k dmg and oneshotting whoever got focused.
    We're talking 150k Arcane Barrages, 80k Frost bombs and alike. If we face them again I'll post logs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbliss View Post
    He just does Arcane Explosions and then in a single burst, we're talking 1 to 2s here, he's doing ~400k dmg and oneshotting whoever got focused.
    We're talking 150k Arcane Barrages, 80k Frost bombs and alike. If we face them again I'll post logs here.
    Arcane Explosion only has a 30% chance to add a charge of the buff. If you see him stacking the buff really high from just the explosions, then start CC'ing him hard/LoS'ing and getting out of his range. The damage from the explosions is extremely negligible. He probably isn't actually going to be able to get enough damage in to kill someone either as long as ANYTHING interrupts 1 or 2 of his Arcane Blasts when he has 6 stacks and CDs running. But on the other side of the fence, I'm actually not sure at all how you can actually manage to kill anything that is running double healer

10+ Year Old Account
    Letting an Arcane mage free cast has always been bad, this isn't really news...

To all the people who say interrupt the Mage:

What about PoM, BoP and Aura Mastery? The OP said it was a Mage and TWO Paladins. If the Mage has BOP + Aura Mastery, nothing can stop him from casting. You have to LoS at that point. But let's not forget there are two damn Paladins. That means two stuns, two repentences and two AoE blinds. Yes, they share DR. You can't always easily LoS the Mage at that point however.

I'm not saying it's impossible to fight against Arcane/Holy/Holy, but it's definitely trickier than most of you think. This is, of course, against an Arcane/Holy/Holy setup that knows how to play.

Start making sense. In your first post, you say you're getting one shotted by 150k crit -- which isn't possible.

Then in this post you're saying you're getting one shot with a single 400k damage burst (which goes against your first post), then in the next sentence you're saying it's not a 400k hit, it's 150k arcane barrages and 80k frost bombs.

It's things like this that make me feel sorry for Ghostcrawler.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by omgmewmewcat View Post
    To all the people who say interrupt the Mage:

What about PoM, BoP and Aura Mastery? The OP said it was a Mage and TWO Paladins. If the Mage has BOP + Aura Mastery, nothing can stop him from casting. You have to LoS at that point. But let's not forget there are two damn Paladins. That means two stuns, two repentences and two AoE blinds. Yes, they share DR. You can't always easily LoS the Mage at that point however.

I'm not saying it's impossible to fight against Arcane/Holy/Holy, but it's definitely trickier than most of you think. This is, of course, against an Arcane/Holy/Holy setup that knows how to play.
    They should ban double healer, all it proves is that some people have time over skill to play pvp, comps like this are just too sad, its quite hard to counter, i always though pvp was about outplaying your opponent and not pveing em down, the stupid specs and comps i see are the main reason i hardly enjoy pvp that and my epic 40k chaos bolt crits that are obviously op.

people wont be happy until mages are deleted from the game....

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone knows what the fuck is happening?
    Twice vs the same team, double heal pala and 1 arcane mage. Guy just spams Arcane Explosion and then oneshots any one of us.
    I'm finding it very difficult to believe anything you say.

Quote Originally Posted by impfernal View Post
    They should ban double healer, all it proves is that some people have time over skill to play pvp, comps like this are just too sad, its quite hard to counter, i always though pvp was about outplaying your opponent and not pveing em down, the stupid specs and comps i see are the main reason i hardly enjoy pvp that and my epic 40k chaos bolt crits that are obviously op.
    Sorry but if you have troubles against Arcane/Holy/Holy, you can't complain about skill whatsoever.

I always like seeing people playing unusual specs like this, but in most cases it seems like a lot of their effectiveness comes from people not knowing how that uncommon spec works. For example, I have no idea how monks work and I feel retarded whenever I see one in a BG or 2v2. That said, unpopular doesn't always mean the spec won't work--Abni's been pretty consistently able to make arcane work at high ratings for some years now.

Anyway, more on-topic: I assume the only way that's possible is capping his charges and using literally every cooldown. I don't really have trouble imagining this if it's a combination of on-use, racial, incanter's ward, arcane power, and shattering it. I'm not 100% sure if you can alter time to cheat a second fullstack barrage, but I'd be surprised if that's not a big factor here too.

Just watch for those things and stop it from happening. Probably as soon as his arcane charges are capped he's going to go for a burst, so be ready. Ideally you want him to actually use his cooldowns so you can waste them instead of just CCing and letting his charges drop, but you have to be pretty quick to avoid dying while you're doing it. First, watch for incanter's ward. He'll have to use that ahead of time to let it build up, so stop hitting him when he uses it. You're just giving him more damage. Next, arcane power and alter time are both dispellable magic effects, so if your team has an offensive dispel you need to clear those as soon as possible. You'll want to have trash buffs stripped before he uses these because you may only have 3 seconds to get alter time off before he can use that second barrage.

CC will be fairly worthless here since he's got blink for most physical CC (mostly stuns) and two dispels, bops, and a medallion for anything else. You could try something like a scatter/gouge (get his trinket) into full NS clone/hex (depending on your comp obviously) if you have anything of the like available. It'll give you more time to purge cooldowns at best, and waste alter time at worst. LoS is sketchy when he's just spamming instants, but depending on his healers' positioning you might be able to force him to line his healers and lose his dispels (opening him up to a lot more CC). If his healers push in with him (they probably will to spam blinds and hoj, but you never know) you might be able to get an AoE fear, shockwave, pala blind or something of the like off (also cutting off dispels).

Lastly, and possibly most obviously, use defensive cooldowns. It can be hard to see something like this coming, but if you have to stack defensives across the board when he turns red--do it. This team should never even be a threat outside those cooldowns, so don't hold onto anything. If he pom rings your whole team just to lock out defensives, trinket it so you can use them. You have a very short window of time to act in, but things like his arcane charge stack and incanter's ward should be plenty of warning.

There isn't really a how-to guide for this situation, especially when you haven't given us your comp, but hopefully this gives you an idea of the thought process you can run through.

Edit: Forgot to mention deep freeze, but the burst is almost certainly going to be put into a deep freeze on someone for the crit bonus. Dispel or trinket that too. Don't feel like working this into my post at this point.
    Last edited by asb; 2012-12-30 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    Start making sense. In your first post, you say you're getting one shotted by 150k crit -- which isn't possible.

Then in this post you're saying you're getting one shot with a single 400k damage burst (which goes against your first post), then in the next sentence you're saying it's not a 400k hit, it's 150k arcane barrages and 80k frost bombs.

It's things like this that make me feel sorry for Ghostcrawler.
    First of all, I want you to quote me, where I say I'm getting one shot by a 150k crit.
    Secondly, I'm using the "one shot" expression, as many others use, to talk about a death that happens, literally, in a blink of an eye. Yea very uncommon right? Please what are you 6?
    And lastly, 400k in a single burst. What's so hard about this to understand? It's a combo of spells that deal massive amount of damage in a very small time span, 1 to 2 seconds making it unhealable.

I seriously don't know what's so hard to understand about my post. Yes I didn't specify all the details because this post was made between two arena matches, against the same team. The second time the burst happened, which we were somehow expecting but still couldn't avoid it due to certain circumstances, we decided to give a look at the death log to see what exactly was hitting us so hard.

So, if you're just here to make yourself look like an ass, please refrain from posting and go somewhere else.

Thanks.

I seriously don't know what's so hard to understand about my post.
    Yes I didn't specify all the details because this post was made between two arena matches, against the same team. The second time the burst happened, which we were somehow expecting but still couldn't avoid it due to certain circumstances,
    Care to explain what exactly is happening, other than "and then oneshots us"? Some actual specifics? You're being extremely vague.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, I want you to quote me, where I say I'm getting one shot by a 150k crit.
    Secondly, I'm using the "one shot" expression, as many others use, to talk about a death that happens, literally, in a blink of an eye. Yea very uncommon right? Please what are you 6?
    And lastly, 400k in a single burst. What's so hard about this to understand? It's a combo of spells that deal massive amount of damage in a very small time span, 1 to 2 seconds making it unhealable.

I seriously don't know what's so hard to understand about my post. Yes I didn't specify all the details because this post was made between two arena matches, against the same team. The second time the burst happened, which we were somehow expecting but still couldn't avoid it due to certain circumstances, we decided to give a look at the death log to see what exactly was hitting us so hard.

So, if you're just here to make yourself look like an ass, please refrain from posting and go somewhere else.

Thanks.
    Well you need to stop it, because its not a one-shot. MAYBE you got globaled, but I doubt it.

Apples and oranges...

And it looks like you edited your first post... otherwise where would I get the 150k number?