Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

Hello fellow forum users, I'm here to ask the question "Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?"

I have a custom built computer on the way, I went ahead and grabbed 8GB RAM (8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P, 2 x 4GB KIT)

According to http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run 8GB RAM is only good enough for 54% of games released this year. Is that really true? I can't imagine 46% of games not running on max settings with 8GB RAM.

I can upgrade to 16GB if necessary, but I'd rather not unless it is completely necessary. So I ask you, is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

(Other specs of my PC if necessary - Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache, 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850, ASUS® P8Z77-V LX.)

Thank you ahead of time for any feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    More than enough.

I run six gigs, and I've never had a problem. Eight should be plenty.

Deleted
    Well considering that if you put in 16GB RAM it still says only 54% I'm not entirely sure the results are reliable :P

Deleted
    Ah I guess I should have checked that first Dela!
    Thanks for the quick response guys. That's why I love the MMOC forums :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Minisynn View Post
    Hello fellow forum users, I'm here to ask the question "Is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?"

I have a custom built computer on the way, I went ahead and grabbed 8GB RAM (8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P, 2 x 4GB KIT)

According to http://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run 8GB RAM is only good enough for 54% of games released this year. Is that really true? I can't imagine 46% of games not running on max settings with 8GB RAM.

I can upgrade to 16GB if necessary, but I'd rather not unless it is completely necessary. So I ask you, is 8GB RAM enough for gaming?

(Other specs of my PC if necessary - Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570K (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache, 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD7850, ASUS® P8Z77-V LX.)

Thank you ahead of time for any feedback.
    Did you see any information showing otherwise, as in data comparing 8 v 16. I've seen nothing on that front.

8 Gig is actually enough, more Ram doesn't mean it will effect your game much comparing that to your cpu and graphic card that are playing a more important role to increase gaming performance !
    More Ram means more programs can be launched and taken care of while you do other things, it should not put any effect on the gaming performance as much as you think !
    Last edited by Raeion; 2012-12-30 at 01:18 AM.
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻,

It's all about dat processor

10+ Year Old Account
    8gb is plenty, unless you do video/graphic design work. That website looks pretty faulty anyway, considering that the same result comes in with an i7 3970, a geforce 880, and 16gb of ram.

8GB is the "standard" when it comes to gaming imho

Deleted
    Well I assume I shouldn't have too many problems with the I5-3570K and the HD 7850, as they're both high spec. I didn't feel upgrading to an I7 necessary as I don't do any video editing etc so the extra threads seemed like a bit of a waste.

16gigs if you do folding / code compiling / any other RAM intensive things. 8 gigs for gaming. most gaming benchmarks will show better results using 8gigs of RAM vs 16 esp if you can hit a higher speed on 8. I havent found a single game that wont run on 8 with pagefile disabled as most games wont go over 2 (unless you're running BF3 on ultra with a 1440p monitor)

Quote Originally Posted by dar3652 View Post
    16gigs if you do folding / code compiling / any other RAM intensive things. 8 gigs for gaming. most gaming benchmarks will show better results using 8gigs of RAM vs 16 esp if you can hit a higher speed on 8. I havent found a single game that wont run on 8 with pagefile disabled as most games wont go over 2 (unless you're running BF3 on ultra with a 1440p monitor)
    While that is correct for "gaming" , it is not for heavy multitasking. I sit on 8+ used most of the time. So really it is coming to a point where no 8Gb is not good enough unless you intend to only ever be gaming, no second monitor doing anything in the world, no 37 tabs opened in your favorite browser, and no music playing etc etc etc. It really isn't hard to eat 8gb up w/o a pagefile.

Ive never seen my PC use over 5gigs of ram, and thats only when SWTOR is open. Apparently there is a memory leak with that game where it does not clear the ram when loading new zones, /shrug. Yes, 8 gb is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ive never seen my PC use over 5gigs of ram, and thats only when SWTOR is open. Apparently there is a memory leak with that game where it does not clear the ram when loading new zones, /shrug. Yes, 8 gb is more than enough.
    I can use 5Gb w/ wow and chrome. Even more likely I have chrome w/ atleast 4 tabs(social mediums), a movie or music going, and probably have some type of work opened. Now I can hit 10-12 easily when using 3ds.

lol just for kicks i just did:

20 tabs of web pages
    Youtube video
    netfix video
    WoW
    SWTOR

Im sitting at 6.5gb's of usage

Ya.....id say 8gb's is enough lol

I just bought 16gb of ram because I know for a fact the 6gb I have right now isn't enough, and I got 16gb at a good price ($62). With 6gb my computer has given me crap about using too much memory a few times. 8gb might be plenty but I'm goin with 16 just so I really never have to worry about it again.

Eight is usually more than enough. 4 is the minimum for most games. 6 is probably the average. 16 is way overkill, but within a few years it will probably boost to the norm. Just depends if you are willing to buy more RAM later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    lol just for kicks i just did:

20 tabs of web pages
    Youtube video
    netfix video
    WoW
    SWTOR

Im sitting at 6.5gb's of usage

Ya.....id say 8gb's is enough lol
    I've got;

Rift
    WoW
    N4S

All playing at once and still haven't hit my 8GB Cap. Course, my video card hates me atm XD but not my ram or processor.

lol ya same, i got a 1gb gtx 465 and im well over that, but my cpu was at 50% usage : )