Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to gain viewers on YouTube?

Hey guys, just wondering what you all might think be a good way to gain viewers on YouTube? So many people are trying to become successful on the popular website today (including me), so what does it take to rise above the others?

Some things I'm already doing:

-HD videos
    -Well-edited videos
    -Increased upload limit
    -Custom thumbnails

Basically what I am asking is in the social aspect of YouTube how do you expand? Spam Facebook? Beg bigger YouTubers to give you a shout out?

What do you think?
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2013-01-02 at 11:23 PM.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting a video here might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Molyneux View Post
    Can't promote yourself, against forum rules

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molyneux View Post
    Advertising your youtube channel isn't really allowed here.
    Though if it's educational videos or such then it might be allowed.

You should ask perhaps Sunshine or a global moderator if you can post it. If it's in a class forum you could ask the moderator assigned to that forum then they can (if necessary) ask the right people.

Deleted
    Try to do something unique, are you just another generic gamer showing off stuff? There are thousands of channels like that, try to do something unusual and comical.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I understand, it takes quite a while to build up a large number of views and subscribers. Best advice I could offer is, do your research. You need to provide content that people want to watch, whether that be music videos, minecraft playthroughs, lets-plays, or hopping on the next video game bandwagon. Listening to a lot of Q&As from a lot of popular youtubers (WoWcrendor, OMFGcata, TotalHalibut, TradeChat etc), they said it takes a good 1-3 years if you're lucky to become successful. Of course that time frame could be less or more depending on your content and personality.

Deleted
    Edit something popular, use misleading titles and/or thumbnails. Once you reach 1k subs your vids grow popular really fast.

I edit amv's myself, and I only gain like 10 new subs each video...

Deleted
    Quality content and it helps if the content is something that appeals to many. By quality I don't mean the quality of the video itself, more like not just play-though's or screenshots with audio and stuff like that. If your channel is about something niche (like MMO's for example, not saying it is though) it can be hard to get viewers.

Never beg on other people's videos, that just creates annoyance a lot of the time. Some people do manage to actually get some subscribers that way but do you really want to be known as a beggar for subs? Don't think so.

Your tag words should be smart but always related to the video or things mentioned in the video, never use tags irrelevant to the video.

People like having regular uploads from a channel so make sure it's at least 1 per week I'd say.

That's that I think at least, I don't have any YouTube experience myself (but I have seriously considered it, I even have a decent channel idea too) but what I said makes sense to me at least. Feel free to mistrust me though, like I said no experience.

My advice is just to keep making content. If it's good people will keep coming for more.

My problem is I don't make enough content, so when I do it just gets thrown out to the sidelines. Have a plan. Try to do one video a week for a few months and I bet you'll skyrocket in subs compared to how you are now.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Well kinda depends on what you post about i guess ..... humor and being different sells .....well be or hire somone sexy to present you're stuff ...then anything sell ...hate me if you like for saying it but somone like Miss Hannah Minx gets silly amounts of clicks purely for the ....well you know.

I have my own youtube channel. So I can tell you that you need to do something new. I noticed there was a video guide for champion of the naaru on youtube so I made one and it got a ton of views. I noticed there was a guide on soloing razorgore so I made one and got a ton of views.

Anyone on wow can make a video of pve or pvp. You have to be somewhat better at it than normal people to keep viewers interested. Maybe if you have a good voice you can do commentary videos.

Other than that, put boobs in the thumbnail. That always seems to work. Working on that right now in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Other than that, put boobs in the thumbnail. That always seems to work. Working on that right now in fact.
    Please don't, there are already enough of those and it's super annoying.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post

-HD videos
    -Well-edited videos
    -Increased upload limit
    -Custom thumbnails
    -etc.
    -I could monetize my videos if I wanted to but I do not at the moment.
    Personaly I think number 1 thing is persona. You can make the best videos in history but if the viewer is not attached to your perona you just another random presenter.

You have to move into a house with another YouTuber, it's practically a requirement now so you can live off of each others YouTube fame (Danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil, Charlieissocoollike and Nerimon, etc) and collaborate on videos together. This will lead to 'Shipping' and things (Phan and Cherimon) which helps perpetuate you into the stranger regions of the Internet and increases the people that check you out.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll need boobs and a shirt that shows tons of cleavage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Personaly I think number 1 thing is persona. You can make the best videos in history but if the viewer is not attached to your perona you just another random presenter.
    Very true, it is the business of entertainment after all.

Other important things I can think of:

-Professionalism
    -Consistency
    -Relevance
    -Objectiveness

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 06:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    My advice is just to keep making content. If it's good people will keep coming for more.

My problem is I don't make enough content, so when I do it just gets thrown out to the sidelines. Have a plan. Try to do one video a week for a few months and I bet you'll skyrocket in subs compared to how you are now.
    This seems like probably the best advice I've seen in this thread so far honestly. Practice does make perfect after all. Oh and since you've already got your feet wet, what is the best way to create a custom thumbnail?
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2013-01-02 at 11:03 PM.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post cats, dogs, kittens, puppies, babies, other cute animals. That is all.

Unfortunately YouTube is massively over saturated with Vids now, everyone is trying to jump on the add revenue band wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Very true, it is the business of entertainment after all.

Other important things I can think of:

-Professionalism
    -Consistency
    -Relevance
    -Objectiveness

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 06:02 PM ----------

This seems like probably the best advice I've seen in this thread so far honestly. Practice does make perfect after all. Oh and since you've already got your feet wet, what is the best way to create a custom thumbnail?
    You sound like you're talking about what journalism should be. There's no need for objectivity or professionalism in entertaining videos. It can help in some cases, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitewind View Post
    Unfortunately YouTube is massively over saturated with Vids now, everyone is trying to jump on the add revenue band wagon
    If you know you're going to be successful, it's an effective way to make money, and you make quite a lot from what I've heard.