10+ Year Old Account

Time to Replace My Router?

I'm currently using a Linksys WRT160N that I've had for probably close to four years. The devices on our network include a PS3 and a Wii (both stream netflix; the PS3 is also used for online gaming), my wife's and my work laptops (nothing too bandwidth-heavy), and our cellphones. My desktop computer is connected directly to the modem.

The network worked fine for a long time, but lately I've begun experiencing random disconnects and drops with increasing frequency. My first instinct was to blame my ISP, but when I switched devices connected to the modem (hard-wired the PC, went wireless on the PS3), the PC connection stabilized and I started experiencing DC's on the Playstation. So now I know it's not Time Warner's fault, but rather an issue of some sort with my wireless network. After looking and finding that there are 6 other wireless networks in detection range, I theorized that wireless interference may be to blame and tried changing the network's broadcast channel and frequency to no effect. I've also tried port forwarding, DMZ, and anything else I can think of, but any device connected through my router continue to suffer random disconnects, while anything wired directly to the modem continues running perfectly. (For what it's worth, the Playstation is about 25 feet from the router with only one wall between them.)

By moving my modem and the router to the second cable jack in the office (they were in the living room with the Playstation and cable box), I've been able to stabilize my WoW connection at least (I'm my guild's raid leader, so random disconnects are no bueno). However, in the roughly 3 weeks since I've made the switch I've suffered 7 losses to disconnects in 15 games playing Madden 13, compared to just one in ~150 games while the Playstation was connected to the modem.

I've decided the next logical course of action is to try replacing the router to see if that will help. I'm not particularly thrilled by the selection on the shelf at my local Best Buy, but they're convenient, fast (10min away), and have a good return policy if what I get doesn't fix my problem. From reading reviews on CNet and PCMag and cross-referencing their suggestions with what Best Buy lists as being in-stock at my store, I think I've narrowed it down to these five options:
    Does anyone have any suggestions/experience/feedback on these? I'd like to keep it at or below the $150 mark, but could go a little higher if necessary to get the performance I want.
    Last edited by Sorphius; 2012-12-30 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    Wow I have to wake up... thought you meant literally replacing (putting it elsewhere in the house for better connection)

Anyways, I do not have experience with routers however, ASUS makes gooooood laptops, their parts are good.

So my vote goes toward the ASUS one.

Out of those options the ASUS RT-N66U is the best choice.

Before you buy something new, have you tried flashing your current router to DDWRT?