Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    For the security jobs, is there a chance that I may be considered over qualified because of my college degree? What if i lied on the resume saying that I worked at a grocery store since graduating from high school?

Maybe you just need to suck it up and start applying for jobs in the fields you think interest you at this point and see what responses you get.

I have trouble even being hired in college type jobs. I had bad GPA, no internship, and a humanities major.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yeah right, IT work is one of the most tedious and time consuming jobs you can get.
    Depends, it can definitely be very tedious and often time consuming(trying to resolve a problem that normally would take 5 minutes only to have it take an hour because of some other seemingly unrelated issue), but it can also have a good bit of downtime depending on a few factors but even then it's not all bad, I actually enjoyed it for the most part though it was more inbound Call Center work(which sucked). I'd love to get a job at a local repair shop where I could be personally working on the solution and not relaying information and hoping the user is properly following directions. Unfortunately there's not many of those that don't require a drivers license due to supporting house calls.

But yes, the OP needs to stop pursuing a job that has 90% downtime and just focus on getting any job at all. Any job he picks up would likely expect him to not work on his Blog/Website and if he was caught working on something not work related(even with high downtime) he'd risk losing the job and being back to square one anyways.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2013-01-02 at 04:31 AM.

Not necessarily "less work", but you will make a lot of money. Join the military for a term or two, and then leave the military and join a private military contractor company like backwater and get hired to do the same job you did in the military, by the military but this time you get paid three to four times as much. Of course this is only worth it if you can live you the fact you and your company has, or likely will engage in some very unscrupulous actions and your essentially a renamed mercenary.

What kind of unscupulous action?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    Shit the military is not allowed to do or admit to knowing about. Give this one up, you are not military material.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    What if i lied on the resume saying that I worked at a grocery store since graduating from high school?
    Lying on a resume sounds like a very good plan indeed.

(disclaimer: no you really shouldn't)

$15 an hour... It sounds so low to me, but then my cost of living here in Australia is way higher than the US. Im Aus military and I can say some days ive sat and done nothing all day aside from PT, and then ive worked 3-4 days straight with little to no sleep and been away 6+ months a year with no computer, sleeping on the dirt, being woken up by contact drills at 1am, 3 hour piquets at graveyard times etc. Marines ive met (we had some stationed and worked with them here before) get paid dirt compared to us it seems, and seem to be treated worse overall and even im not planning on staying in because IMO the pay I get isnt worth the stress on me and my wife (I earn 70k+ per year AUD).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    Not necessarily "less work", but you will make a lot of money. Join the military for a term or two, and then leave the military and join a private military contractor company like backwater and get hired to do the same job you did in the military, by the military but this time you get paid three to four times as much. Of course this is only worth it if you can live you the fact you and your company has, or likely will engage in some very unscrupulous actions and your essentially a renamed mercenary.
    Without the healthcare benefits or the extra pay for rent (BAH and BAS) or the peace of mind knowing that the guy behind you had the same training you did or the job sercuity or the advancement.

OP : no job in the military has that much down time. your forgetting that after your normal 7-4 job you can be put on duty for another 8-72 hours, pulled for a working party, field day or any other BS someone over you can come up with.

When i was active duty i once work for 73 hours with 2 hours of sleep. shit can and will happen.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dazu View Post
    $15 an hour... It sounds so low to me, but then my cost of living here in Australia is way higher than the US. Im Aus military and I can say some days ive sat and done nothing all day aside from PT, and then ive worked 3-4 days straight with little to no sleep and been away 6+ months a year with no computer, sleeping on the dirt, being woken up by contact drills at 1am, 3 hour piquets at graveyard times etc. Marines ive met (we had some stationed and worked with them here before) get paid dirt compared to us it seems, and seem to be treated worse overall and even im not planning on staying in because IMO the pay I get isnt worth the stress on me and my wife (I earn 70k+ per year AUD).
    70k a year? are you a officer? i was making 55 with a wife and kids, before that it was under 30 when i enlisted.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reserves might not pay enough to make a living though.
    Really? Exactly how much do you think laziness is worth?

Let's take into account the fact that everyone can be and knows full-well how to be lazy, so there's no shortage of lazy people. Honestly? The title alone makes me hope you don't make it through boot camp, or that boot camp wakes you the f* up, because you need to be.

Just what do you have to offer our military in exchange for money, honorable ranks, and the other benefits?

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 05:40 PM ----------

For the security jobs, is there a chance that I may be considered over qualified because of my college degree? What if i lied on the resume saying that I worked at a grocery store since graduating from high school?
    Lying, especially about a previous place of work, can get you denied, on the spot. Potential employers tend to ring up previous employers and if they find out you are a liar, see ya sucker.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Sometimes when the military wants/needs to do something shady or straight up illegal they have a contractor company do it. Also, sometimes these companies are run by near bond villain type people and the some of the employees are essentially sociopaths. Blackwater, for example got in trouble a few years ago when some of their people took a helicopter and used it to have target practice on several dozen innocent Iraqi civilians and the head of the corporation describes himself as a crusader for god and he hates Muslims, etc...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post
    Without the healthcare benefits or the extra pay for rent (BAH and BAS) or the peace of mind knowing that the guy behind you had the same training you did or the job sercuity or the advancement.

OP : no job in the military has that much down time. your forgetting that after your normal 7-4 job you can be put on duty for another 8-72 hours, pulled for a working party, field day or any other BS someone over you can come up with.

When i was active duty i once work for 73 hours with 2 hours of sleep. shit can and will happen.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 12:31 PM ----------

70k a year? are you a officer? i was making 55 with a wife and kids, before that it was under 30 when i enlisted.
    I am pulling in £60k a year with benefits, you just need to know how to work the system to your benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am pulling in £60k a year with benefits, you just need to know how to work the system to your benefit.
    I did, thats how i ended up at 55k a year, in a city where cost of living was insanely high and 15 minutes from my base. The US military pays you shit sticks for the work they make you do and then say that the bonus pay and "free" healthcare evens it out.

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Honestly, I really think you only make these threads to try and incite people into getting worked up and calling you lazy.

I see no other possible point to these threads, that you make periodically, and that usually get locked.

Give it up, you are not Military material.
    I agree. He asks way too many questions.

Military is all about being a mindless drone, willing to throw your life away for oil or any other thing your government desires to spend your life on.

So in short, ask questions? Value your life at all? Ever spent time actually thinking about things? Military is not for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    I agree. He asks way too many questions.

Military is all about being a mindless drone, willing to throw your life away for oil or any other thing your government desires to spend your life on.

So in short, ask questions? Value your life at all? Ever spent time actually thinking about things? Military is not for you.
    Unless you're living completely off the grid (which you obviously aren't since you are using internet), you're a cog of the system as well .
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only job that exists in America that involves NO work with a ton of freetime is a politician or a representative to a firm or business.

Seriously, whats the hardest part of your job? brushing your teeth and then talking through them?

If you want to get a night auditor or front desk job at a hotel, how do you make the connection with the hiring manager?
    I was guessing the shortcut to being hired would be to look good in the eyes of the hiring manager, and one could do that by smiling and talking attractively in front of them. But you would have to do this before submitting the resume because my resume looks pretty bad with no job experience (too short to put the ones I had).

But I don't know what to say to make the hiring manager want to hire me.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, the chances are you would not meet the minimum requirements to make certification and in the event you did, would have to work for quite a long time before being even considered for a cushy post where there was little to nothing to do.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.