Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Questions about jobs with lots of free time

Originally this thread was asking about free time in the military. My plan was to ask about each 'job with lots of free time' on a separate thread but the moderators wanted me to have just one thread dedicated to asking job-related questions.

Question about military:

I worked in the post office of my bataillon during my military service.

I had to practically work around 1 hour a day.

5 min making coffee for the officer meeting in the morning.
    25 min going to fetch the mail for our bataillon from the main post office of our base twice a day and sorting it for the platoons.

The rest I spent reading or doing something on the computer (with no internet). Or I tried to sleep a bit.
    One time I got so bored, I created a 2 GB excel file by consecutively numbering all cells on several tables.
    This is from the thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ptionist/page3

From the same thread:
    I am currently working a state job, it's 3rd shift. I literally get paid $15 an hour to sit on my ass and play wow. It is a recovery center for people with mental illnesses, but they are always asleep. I get to bring my laptop in and play wow until 6:30 in the morning, then I have to put it away because people start to wake up. But hey! it's the easiest job I have ever had or will ever have again. I'm only 19 as well, so it's a really good start.

I would suggest a state job like mine to anyone looking for A TON of downtime.
    What is this 3rd shift state job that pays $15 an hour and has a ton of downtime?

Here are other threads that I made regarding jobs with lots of free time.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nternet-access ( jobs with internet access)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...security-guard (how get security guard job)

Desktop Administrator

Someone mentioned 'Desktop Administrator' on this page: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ree-time/page6

Desktop administrator is where it's at. I sit around in my office for 9 hours a day playing minecraft. The only time I have to do work is when we get new software that needs to be installed on all the computers or if someone opens up a email that has a virus I have to fix the computer for them. Installing new software isn't too bad though, I just hook up multiple computers and run the installation wizard then go back to minecraft on my laptop until it gets done installing, then hook up more computers and repeat. The only other thing I've had to do was encrypt company data and since the folders were pretty large it took around 30-40 minutes for each one, so select the file, run the program, play minecraft, rename encrypted folder, go to the next one. I also get paid $18 an hour so it's not a bad little job.
    I searched for that job and one posting had requirement of 4 years of computer related degree or equivalent experience. Does that mean with barely any advanced computer knowledge it would take 4 years of experience for you to have a chance at this job? Here's the relevant snip from the posting:

Basic Qualifications:
    Bachelor’s or Associates Degree in Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, or Equivalent technical work experience
    Three years of application, technical support, desktop or systems administration experience
    Experience with PICIS ED PulseCheck or similar product
    Experience supporting Windows based users in a Microsoft Active Directory Domain environment
    Ability to assess problems/needs and resolve technology issues
    Ability to work off-hours and on call when required
    Willingness and ability to travel up to 40% of the time in order to fulfill the responsibilities of this position
    Night Auditor (hotel)

Question about being a night auditor in hotel:

1. Is it possible to have your room darkened so that you are not affected by the fluorescent lighting that can throw off your body clock (and also I'm just sensitive to artificial lights in general)?

2. I heard that the way to get this job is first have some front desk experience. And the best way to get that job might be knowing somebody already working there. How do you get to know them? You just drop by at a hotel and make small talk with the front desks person and ask if you can put their name? Or find out their full names and see what groups or church they go to and try to hang out with them?
    Last edited by freeti; 2013-02-08 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aerial Port, US Air Force Reserves at a small base.

Trust me, you'll sit on your ass waiting for your one airplane a day. Active duty bases will be busy, which is why I said "reserves."
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    Man, if you spent as much time working as you do finding out how to not work and get paid for it, you'd be doing very well for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Aerial Port, US Air Force Reserves at a small base.

Trust me, you'll sit on your ass waiting for your one airplane a day. Active duty bases will be busy, which is why I said "reserves."
    The reserves might not pay enough to make a living though.

You are INSANELY lazy. I looked at your other posts. Personally I'm a security officer, but that is NOT the job for you. First of all you have to be trained and certified. And nobody wants to hire someone who wants the job because they want to sit around and not work. Because as soon as something goes wrong when you are on duty (something stolen, or damaged) and the company is sued, your lazy ass will be sued as well, fired, and you'll lose your certification and any hope working in law, or military.

Speaking of security, I'm at work right now, AND I AM SO FUCKING BORED! I don't see how ANYONE would WANT this job. I have it cause I need it, and the pay is actually pretty good.

Isn't security officer different from security guard?

Many jobs like that exist in the military (at least the AF). Technically you're supposed to be doing some kind of menial task that is supposed to take 9 hours each day but can be done in 1-2, or doing something to 'better yourself', but in the end you just end up looking at your phone or finding things to argue about with your coworkers.

Isn't security officer different from security guard?
    No... We call ourselves "Security Officers" when we want to sound cool. Just because when people say "Security Guard" they automatically think of Paul Blark.
    I'm head Security Officer here at a hospital, but thats the actual job title. Then there is patrol, on-site patrol, etc.

---------- Post added 2012-12-29 at 11:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    Many jobs like that exist in the military (at least the AF). Technically you're supposed to be doing some kind of menial task that is supposed to take 9 hours each day but can be done in 1-2, or doing something to 'better yourself', but in the end you just end up looking at your phone or finding things to argue about with your coworkers.
    Those are POGs. Peices of crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just fucking work and keep the playing at home. For the love of God...I can't stand working with people like you. I have to pick up your slack while you play with your phone or stand around thinking about shit. Like you can't work and think at the same time. Just work, make the most of it. If you stay busy, time goes by faster. Ask anyone who has a lot of downtime. I'd go nuts.

Clearly, lazy bastards have already made me a little nutty. Sorry for going off a little.

I see. So there is patrol, on-site patrol... and do you have a lot of free time where you can read or use the internet?

You've been starting these 'pay me to do nothing' threads for months. Just accept that a job is going to involve some work somewhere. You may luck into one of those jobs somehow, but there is not and is never going to be a 'this job pays you to do nothing' job add up anywhere that you can just go into with the expectation that you will treat your work time like it's your free time, and if there was good luck beating out the other million applicants.

Every job has some expectation of work on the part of the employee, if they didn't why would they even bother hiring someone? Sometimes that work doesn't always pan out and you get some free time, or the work is seasonal, or has ebbs and flows for whatever reason but sooner or later you have to actually do something to justify your paycheck. And beyond that who one earth would hire someone who's clear goal is to do absolutely nothing as much as possible?

Just accept that a job means work of some sort. If you don't want to work that's cool, be unemployed, but if you want the money you're going to have to do something aside from just dicking around with your time sooner or later.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2012-12-30 at 07:54 AM.

I see. So there is patrol, on-site patrol... and do you have a lot of free time where you can read or use the internet?
    Lets see here... I am at work... I am online... I have to walk a 5 minute loop every hour... 12 hour shift. So yes. There is free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    Those are POGs. Peices of crap.
    When you're on details for a week and your job is to clean a wall that is not dirty, the only way to keep sane is to find a nice hiding spot and take a nap or fuck around on your phone.

Just checking, they can read on their phones, right? What about using laptops? What are the job titles (or is it called ratings?) for that menial jobs in the AF?

Just checking, they can read on their phones, right? What about using laptops? What are the job titles (or is it called ratings?) for that menial jobs in the AF?
    There is no way in hell if you are lazy enough to spend months SEARCHING for a lazy job, that you are going to be able to get through any sort of basic training, even AF. Those bastards run almost as much as the Marines.

Lets see here... I am at work... I am online... I have to walk a 5 minute loop every hour... 12 hour shift. So yes. There is free time.
    Wow I envy your lot. How much do you get paid? If I apply at Securitas or G4S would I have a good chance of getting that 55 min per hour of free time job?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the military is for you...even the Air Force. (no disrespect for the AF guys and girls, active and retired)..

When you're on details for a week and your job is to clean a wall that is not dirty, the only way to keep sane is to find a nice hiding spot and take a nap or fuck around on your phone.
    Funny.
    Our job as Infantry is to pull triggers. Yes, here in the states we are running around with our M4's. So we find stuff to do, like security at a hospital. Just so happens I have the shit shift with more nothingness to do. -.-

Funny.
    Our job as Infantry is to pull triggers. Yes, here in the states we are running around with our M4's. So we find stuff to do, like security at a hospital. Just so happens I have the shit shift with more nothingness to do. -.-
    So you are in the infantry right now in the Army? Not Reserves, right?

Wow I envy your lot. How much do you get paid? If I apply at Securitas or G4S would I have a good chance of getting that 55 min per hour of free time job?
    I worked for Securitas. SHIT place to work. I make enough to make car payments, pay for my house.. well.. enough for all my bills.

You may or may not get hired. I dont know your credentials. If arent certified best believe that you wont get hired, training you will cost them time and money. Not to mention, IF they did hire you, there is a pretty big chance that you'd get security at a place where you'd actually have to be on your feet most of the time, not sitting at a computer.

---------- Post added 2012-12-30 at 12:01 AM ----------

So you are in the infantry right now in the Army? Not Reserves, right?
    Yup. Infantry. 11 Bang Bang. Army, ACU's and all that. I'm just about to start ROTC to become an officer, so basically it's like I'm reserves because I'm going to a univeristy. Gives me the chance to have a civilian job at the same time.