Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Notos,

I do have a college degree which I know is a requirement for becoming an officer. What are the job titles (or ratings? is it called?) of the desk jobs?

10+ Year Old Account
    I write very dull business software from home, so long as the work gets done I can more or less do what I want with my time.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freeti View Post
    How do you get the computer knowledge necessary to pass the interview? Are there lots of these jobs? How do you make yourself competitive from other applicants?
    I already answered that in a PM you sent me about basically the same thing. You acquire those, and pretty much every other skill by learning them. You either visit school or you train yourself in it through self education.

To be honest your responses and threads are kind of odd. Either you' (unsuccessfully) trying to troll people, or you're setting your life up for disaster.

I have trouble even being hired in college type jobs. I had bad GPA, no internship, and a humanities major.
    In my case I want to purposely find a job where I have free time so that I can do what I am passionate about and make a living out of that.

I could build a blog/website etc during the shift so that people who views the site can benefit and I can earn some money from that.
    You do not need a job with lots of free time to do that. Do it after work. You don't sound like you know how to design a website or a blog, so I'd wager that you don't need that time to do the actual designing. And you won't be able to write properly in an office anyway. Because even with lots of free time, that free time doesn't come in long blocks. Most of the time it comes in short blocks that are interrupted by having to do something.
    And if you want to write good stuff, interruptions of that kind are poison to your writing.

You probably also overestimate how much money you'll be making from "the internet". There are only very, very few people that earn any tangible amount from it, yet alone enough to sustain them by itself. And those people put a lot more work in it than you seem to want. Because if you'd have that kind of dedication, you'd also take a shitty job to pursue those goals.

Dreams are well and good, but common sense should never be too far away.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, you should start your own business, hire yourself and pay yourself to do nothing, I bet you'll make a lot of money and be a valuable asset to your company.

I have to ask you something OP. In an economy that's still recovering, where people are still desperately trying to find jobs doing actual work, with no job experience and a very obvious motivation to not work (which employers WILL pick up on), do you actually expect to get a job doing nothing?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

This guy (OP) just keeps coming back to stir the pot in this thread further doesn't he xD

It's like the troll thread that never dies...

By the way, any job where you work alone has a certain amount of free time if you get your work done efficiently

Notos,

I do have a college degree which I know is a requirement for becoming an officer. What are the job titles (or ratings? is it called?) of the desk jobs?
    If you are as lazy as this thread makes you out to be, theres truly no point in you asking about jobs in the Marines. You wouldn't last an hour in basic.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I worked 3rd shift for about 10 years at the ER down the city over from where I live. There was literally nothing to do during downtime so my coworkers all brought their laptops and played WoW till we'd get an inbound. That happens to be where I learned about and started playing WoW. One of the docs got tired of me looking over his shoulder so he bought me a copy. Its a community hospital in a rich, resort town so the only time they had a busy ER is during the summer and on the holidays. Some hospitals are busy 24/7 depending on their location so don't count on downtime if you are working a 3rd shift in downtown L.A. or something.

EDIT- I should add that in the time since I left its changed a lot over there and its pretty much busy work during any downtime or they flex people off if its slow...due to the economy.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 02:36 PM ----------
    Off-topic, but:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuex View Post
    Yup. Infantry. 11 Bang Bang. Army, ACU's and all that. I'm just about to start ROTC to become an officer, so basically it's like I'm reserves because I'm going to a univeristy. Gives me the chance to have a civilian job at the same time.
    Nice! I was 13F myself before getting a scholarship for ROTC at the university level. Then I was attached to a 11B reserve unit at an armory near the college...also a great bunch of guys but the LT was a pure butterbar fresh college grad with zero experience and couldn't tell his ass from his elbow. The wonderful kind of idiot that would get people killed.

Loved ROTC at the university level. I'm still friends with a few of the instructors nearly 20 years later. Good luck with it and stick to it. Your men will always respect and endure an officer that was enlisted first.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2013-01-11 at 10:36 PM.

I was wondering, do midnight shift for McDonalds have a lot of free time?

Deleted
    want a lot of free time on your job? do this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21043693

it works until you get caught!

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 03:32 PM ----------

I was wondering, do midnight shift for McDonalds have a lot of free time?

probably, i use to work midnight shift in a supermarket, was 2 of us on checkouts and like 20 people doing shop floor stuff, we would maybe get 1-2 customers an hour max. spent most the time talking/playing games on phone/reading the paper or something. all while getting paid about £12 per hour. i wouldnt work nights again though, screws your sleeping up badly.

Deleted
    Notos,

You as a Military Officer? A leader of men? If that happens then I will eat my rank slides.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    I already answered that in a PM you sent me about basically the same thing. You acquire those, and pretty much every other skill by learning them. You either visit school or you train yourself in it through self education.
    Thank you. If you want to train yourself by self education, do you recommend certain websites to learn certain things that you have to know to get the job?

I updated the OP to add question about becoming Desktop Administrator.

Question about being a night auditor in hotel:

1. Is it possible to have your room darkened so that you are not affected by the fluorescent lighting that can throw off your body clock (and also I'm just sensitive to artificial lights in general)?

2. I heard that the way to get this job is first have some front desk experience. And the best way to get that job might be knowing somebody already working there. How do you get to know them? You just drop by at a hotel and make small talk with the front desks person and ask if you can put their name? Or find out their full names and see what groups or church they go to and try to hang out with them?

Infracted: Please refrain from regularly bumping your own thread. Bumping in itself is against the rules.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-08 at 05:39 PM.