Community Deterioration

Hey guys, had a funny experience today (Kinda long story). I bought an uncut meta-gem and needed it cut. Someone in my Sha group volunteered to cut it. I mentioned what cut I needed, but he ended up cutting the wrong one. I politely asked for the proper cut, and mentioned I would trade him back the wrong one and still tip him. He didn't have an uncut gem on him, but said he would get me one. After Sha, I had a few things to do IRL and told him I had a raid tonight and needed it. No problem, he would mail it he said. I log on 15 minutes before my raid, no mail. However, he is online so I ask "Any luck with the gem"..."XPlayer is ignoring you" I reached out to his guild master to try and resolve things, because metas are a little pricey and I didn't wanna drop another 2000g for a fully cut one. The GM talked to him and said that he was still planning on sending me the gem, but asked if there was anything he could do. I replied I had a raid in a few minutes, if he could get me a gem, I would gladly give him the old gem and the tip I would have given for the cut. First he said he sent me the correct gem in the mail, along with enough gold for my mats. "Great, I really appreciate it!" I responded, content with the outcome. I see my mail about 10 minutes later...a letter that reads:

Sorry for you trouble, below attached is a big FUCK YOU! You can try to give our guild a bad name all you want your guild is full of scrubs my guild is already known to be assholes its not ninjaing if you traded it to him.

WTF? I thought I was being more than reasonable. I never flamed his guild in chat or named him specifically in trade. I was as polite as I could be and even still offering a tip after I've been waiting for all that time for the proper gem. When did the community get this bad? Mind you I talked to several officers that just said fuck you. I guess this is rather isolated, but c'mon, what person sits there and rationalizes that as a proper response?

10+ Year Old Account
    There have always been people like that. Just put in a ticket saying you got scammed.

10+ Year Old Account
    You got scammed. Put in a ticket with the GM's

Deleted
    That is the reason I never deal with randoms. I either look up if a guildie can craft/cut etc for me or I try to find people from guilds that are known to have nice players.

It's how more of the players are now in WoW, even with less people playing. Unfortunately it's what is turning me off to the game so much now. A lot of it is Blizz's fault with the direction they've been taking the game the past few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    It's how more of the players are now in WoW, even with less people playing. Unfortunately it's what is turning me off to the game so much now. A lot of it is Blizz's fault with the direction they've been taking the game the past few years.
    The direction of the game has nothing to do with the community, that's a cop out.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

This is an extreme case for sure. In all my years of using trade I have never been scam. Although there have been disputes about tips. Example: people expecting 50 gold for a mage portal get out of here.

and thats why I have one of each profession maxed and pursue recipes on them. Open a ticket, nail them for the theft and the foul language.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's a scam, straight up. Talk to a GM, tell them what happened, mention the in game mail. You'll get your gem back and the guy will get a nice few day vacation from the game.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone pretty much so far has had good advice what to do about being scammed. I'd add that one incident with one trade doesn't necessarily constitute much of a case for 'community deterioration'. It's mostly a case for the fact that there are jerks in the game and once in a while you run across them. Do the right thing and start a ticket.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Report his letter saying how it has really upset you, but don't do it until just after the reset so he gets suspended for what is probably their raiding day.

Like the rest said, if you had a clear agreement made via in game chat and the original JC refused to honor, raise a ticket and blizz will sort it. They take a very sim view of people that try to scam players via professions.

Hell, the guild masters response only, if anything, helps your case. I'd also agree that there's isn't anything to do with the community so mucha s you were unlucky enough to come across a couple of dbags that think hot stuff. Your ticket will soon prove otherwise
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    OP: It sucks that this is how the game is, but it's been going on since Vanilla. This in no way has anything to do with community/player deterioration. For every jerk in the game, there are two or three good people willing to help someone out. Just report him and the mail to a GM, and I'm sure they will be more than happy to restore the item, and send the clown who tried to scam you fishing for a few days.

Deleted
    2000 gold for a meta gem? Sheesh, they sell for 200 on my server....

10+ Year Old Account
    More people playing the game - more jerks around. Sadly, it's always been that way, in every online community for that matter. Just take a look at these forums and the amount of troll posts or simple flaming

Rule of thumb - stick to Real ID friends you know and trust, get into a good guild where u enjoy the people (much more important than raiding success etc). Random anything in WoW is notorious for this kind of stuff.

Deleted
    Deterioration? I have got a single time scammed, 7.5 years ago, getting a Demonslaying enchant for my ~30 main. 80s on mats, grr. Nothing has gone to worse since then. You had to be careful, and you have to too. If anything, now you can ticket the whole thing and get your things back. And if you weren't rude at all, mayhaps make the GM of the guild eat a few hours ban for the fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    and thats why I have one of each profession maxed and pursue recipes on them. Open a ticket, nail them for the theft and the foul language.
    exactly be self supporting