Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your "Could have been a dick" Stories

I was in this MSV 10 PUG that I put together yesterday on my DK alt (in sig) with about half guildies (3 alts, 2 mains that weren't saved one of which needed some loot as well) and half PUGs. We steamrolled everything up to Elegon, derp on him a few times because I made some bad calls on where to put people, then 1 shot Will, and the DPS Haste melee trinket drops. No other DPS melee needed it, so I just said MINE in raid chat and looted it to myself. But, we had a Paladin tank, he wanted to roll on it too, seeing as hastestacking is a viable protection Paladin strat, and he was apparently very mad about it, especially since I typed MINE in raid chat. After I left the raid, I messaged him, asking him multiple times if he wanted to /roll on it, and he finally said yes, ok I'm over it let's /roll. I rolled a 93, thought I had it in the bag, but then he /roll'd a 95. Part of me wanted to say nvm screw you this is a DPS trinket, but I stuck to our agreement and gave it to him. I knew at the time that it was a very good trinket for a 2 H F DK, but didn't want to screw someone over or have him go cry in trade chat, not when I plan on doing these runs weekly from now on. Part of me wishes I had just taken it and told him no this is a DPS trinket, but I thought afterwords that it's not worth stressing over a trinket on an alt that hit 90 2 weeks ago when the 5.2 PTR is coming out "soon".

Do you have any recent or interesting "could have been a dick" stories?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Deleted
    This is more of a "I was an idiot" thread as you a dps benefits more from a dps trinket.

Ontopic: I was masterlooter on Ashes of A'lar drops 3 times..in a pug. Never ninjad it.

You did a good thing sir, even though that trinket goes into his bags and he will never use it before 5.2 - while you will struggle from here on in to get a trinket you want to drop. Oh well that's karma for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lei Shin's Final Orders is a completely viable and very useful protection paladin trinket, you'd be wrong to think a DPS deserved it more.

But OT: I was raid leading a MSV 10 man pug tonight, also about 50% guildies, 50% pugs, on my (surprise surprise) protection paladin. We stomped heroic Stone Guard and heroic Feng, and after a bit of a struggle with heroic Garajal, we finally got him down. Naturally, the best in slot Haste/Exp bracers dropped. The only other plate wearer was a frost DK. I tell you what, I was THIS CLOSE to telling that guy, fuck of this is a guild run, and taking it. I am currently equally torn at the fact I gave it too him; on one hand, I am a ridiculous loot whore, and will take most things I can get some kind of use out of, but on the other hand, the DK was from a sort of 'sister' guild I suppose, one that we frequently join together to pug content that the main raid teams had not cleared that week, and I wouldn't want to strain that relationship at all. In time im sure i'll get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    I have two stories.

One time during WotLK, I was running the new 5 man dungeons that would drop the Battered Hilt. I knew it was going for a insanely high amount of gold at the time and always intended one selling it if I won. Well during a run it happened to drop. I rolled need and won which excited me like a school girl. I was about to tell everyone to fuck off and exit the run when the Druid healer messaged me asking if he could have the item as he was almost done with all achievements. 99% of me wanted to tell him to screw himself and roll higher next time, but that 1% spoke louder than the 99% wanting me to be a dick. So I opened trade with him and gave it to him. He did offer me some gold, but after seeing it was only 100 I turned it down.

Another story was in LFR in DS about midway through. Two lighting rods dropped from Hagra, and I somehow managed to win both. I actually needed the staff so I equipped one of them, and planned on just selling the other. About 10 different whispers came in from people BEGGING me if they could have it. At first I was just going to ignore everyone, but I caved in. So after inspecting every single caster in the run, I gave it to the Warlock who was being nice and putting DI on me each fight, while ignoring the Mages who kept QQing because they weren't getting it.

My 6/16H guild just disbanded this week so I wasn't saved to any raids at all. I saw a pug MSV run in trade chat and decided to go help them out. After the raid I asked if they were raiding any other nights this week and the raid leader said they were going to on friday same time. Once again I helped them out through HoF but then we hit a brick wall at garalon, since they haven't cleared HoF I asked if they would rather go to ToES since I won't be on that realm next week and that Protectors was easier than garalon in terms of mechanics. On my realm I'm known as a "jokester" or a troll and I won't deny it but I do good things from time to time and I'm not like the poop trolls that misspell words on purpose or use cuss words in every sentence and spam lolumadbro. One thing I won't be is an elitist, after going from being a total douchebag in wrath when I was in the top guild on my old server then going casual I saw how bad elitists are and vowed to never again be mean to the casuals...except in lfr.

So to sum this up I helped a casual guild get a kill in a raid where they normally wouldn't of seen for a few weeks or so.

Deleted
    During the start of Wrath, I went with my night elf rogue to Borean Tundra. And we had to kill this boss at the end of the DETHA chain, former buddy of Nesingway.
    So I go there and die 2 times or so (because rogues sucked then). So I die 2-3 times but at third time almost got the boss. So I get some potions and whatnot and come back and I see this orc rogue fighting the boss. She was marked for PvP. She had low health, and so did the boss. I could have entered, killed her then did my thing, but instead I helped her kill him. She then thanked me (emotion /thank) and vanished. But when the boss re-appeared, I started hitting him and then she back back and helped me get him

Then, later in Wrath was leading a raid for Archavon, think there were only 2 bosses by now, can't remember exactly though. Anyway, mammoth drops. I was master looter, so could have taken it easily, but did not even though in all the previous times I was in a raid and the mammoth had dropped, other raid leaders ninja-ed it. But I thought I shouldn't be like them. So I wasn't. And someone rolled 99 and got it. I didn't have any regrets.

At start of Cataclysm I went to a normal... Grim Batol. And there was a death knight there during horrendous dps. I could have kicked him, but I didn't, someone else tried to kick him and I voted no. So I told him "if you want some advice, sit with me 5 min after we end the dungeon". We ended the dungeon and I sat there with him explaining which talents should be better for his spec (even though I had a death knight myself I was tank, but I could guess some dps talents, his talents were a mess), and explained some order of use of abilities and about hit and expertise and gems.

Then, a bit later in Cataclysm I made a worgen priest and ran dungeons healing. In one dungeon, Scarlet Library, the tank had to leave. A dps left too when, after 5 min, the queue had not given us another tank yet. 10 min later we get our tank and dps. From the start they start spewing shit and being jerks, but I kept them alive. They started insulting everyone but they were pulling stuff fast. So I told them to stop, because it's not nice what they're doing. I could have left them to die since I was healing, but instead I kept them alive. And what did I get? I got kicked after I told them to stop insulting everyone.

Then, later in Cataclysm I found a rare mob hunters can tame. I could have killed it, especially since I had no clue what it dropped, but knew it was something hunters could tame. So I said in general chat, then started whispering hunters around if they wanted the beast. So a person in my friends list decided he wants it, and comes to me. Like 30 seconds before he got there, some human paladin lands and attacks it. I whisper him to stop, and he just responds "lol, fuck you".

During Firelands I see 3 of the rares at the dailies up and call in chat if everyone else wants them even if I could solo them. 2 min later I got no response, but 3 people fly in. I ask if they're here for the mobs (forgat names). No response. 30 seconds later they start attacking one of the bosses, I ask if I can join, no response. I fly quickly to the further of the third bosses and start attacking him, they get there soon enough, I wasn't done. So they start kiting those mobs and some of them blow up, so they kill them. This takes away some of my health, and in the end I'm losing more health then boss, and I die. And they steal the mob and kill it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    This is more of a "I was an idiot" thread as you a dps benefits more from a dps trinket.

Ontopic: I was masterlooter on Ashes of A'lar drops 3 times..in a pug. Never ninjad it.
    I would hate my life if I were you. Jesus 0_o
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    You did a good thing sir, even though that trinket goes into his bags and he will never use it before 5.2 - while you will struggle from here on in to get a trinket you want to drop. Oh well that's karma for you.
    why wouldn't he use it? It's bis for prot pallys who gear for haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post

holy fuck dude ;p i never ninja'd anything in my life but this is one item I would, without giving it half a thought.

3 times lol

/salute you gotta be last nice guy left in wow ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE Realm.... Was chasing treasures yesterday when I stumbled into some level 85 enemy, flagged.. he was fighting mobs, low on health....

Could have been a dick and killed him on the spot.. I killed the mob, waved at him and took off.

Actually, I never gave my story..

Deathbringer's Will dropped in ICC. I had been wanting that Trinket for LITERALLY 6 months and the 5 dps that were above me were above me due to that Trinket.

New guy in our guild needed the trinket very, very badly so..I gave it to him.

....And then he never got back online again. Ever.

I didn't get that trinket until a guildy decided to hand it off to me because I'd been grabbing for it for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Experiment 12-B finally dropped after 22 weeks of raiding DS. Every raid day since we started I was like "wtb Experiment 12-B, Gyth, etc." coz I really liked that unique colour combination for a drake. It finally drops and I roll a 3 master looted it to raid member who rolled an 87 (high roll) /sigh

I've got no specific story to tell, really. I don't tend to remember when I "do the right thing" for whatever reason. I do know that when I'm on a PVP server, I never gank a lowbie unless I see them attacking a losing opponent. Especially if there's a substantial level difference between them. I'll also land and taunt off a dying [other faction] when I see they're losing. I've done this to another level 90.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    The Super Simian Sphere dropped in 5man run during Wrath. I immediately noticed the first person hit Need so I said in /p Everyone Please Need, and I hit Need as well. Nobody else hit need, and I won the item. I then gave the 3 others a chance to outroll me and handed it over. I wish I'd been a dick but oh well.

Also back in college my friend was quite the practical joker...he like to walk into a room with his finger coming out of an unzipped fly. Unsuspecting people were all like 'eww', then they saw what was goin on were like 'damn, could have been a dick'.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Pardon me if I don't pat you on the back. It was nice of you to offer him a roll but the fact that you went that far and STILL considered keeping it is highly suspect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    that trinket is BiS for prot pallies...

10+ Year Old Account
    In WOTLK the bow off Heroic Deathwhisper, the name escapes me right now, finally dropped and one of the hunters already had it I was next in line. Then I remember there was this new hunter who needed gear badly and was on the verge of being kicked out of the raid group if that person dps wasn't improving. I could have easily taken it and risk that person being kicked. So I figured I'd give it to the person and the hunter dps went up and was able to stay in the raid group.

I got the bow the next week anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Actually, I never gave my story..

Deathbringer's Will dropped in ICC. I had been wanting that Trinket for LITERALLY 6 months and the 5 dps that were above me were above me due to that Trinket.

New guy in our guild needed the trinket very, very badly so..I gave it to him.

....And then he never got back online again. Ever.

I didn't get that trinket until a guildy decided to hand it off to me because I'd been grabbing for it for so long.
    I was in the same situation as you, 1st time it dropped, it went to a long time guild rogue, so I want's (too :P) upset. The 2nd time it dropped, a hunter that hadn't been in the guild long won it over me. The next week he /gquit >.<;

This caused us to re-think loot rules for new members versus existing members. (I never did get one either. I still have a fair few ICC25 runs I need to complete for Shadowmourne shards tho so maybe one day...)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

During BC a RL friend of mine was in my guild as well, and we shared a Tier, i was 3/5 and he was 2/5 for T6, we both managed to see a few drops for us we both could have used for our bonus. He ended up at 3/5 after Mother Sharaz, when we killed Illidan, I was one piece short of my set bonus, I let him have it, so he could get his set bonus first.

He was very happy seeing as it was extremely beneficial to us both, but I figured there is always next week. I ended up with 5/5 the following week, then 8/8 shortly after Sunwell came out, song with my crafted bracers from Sunwell(bis) and he was decked out as well.

I have up on something I really wanted, an in return, the guild saw I was a team player by helping people out other times as well, and it came back to me in a matter of weeks.

There have been other times in dungeons while leveling I have let pugs have things I needed because they weren't as heard as me, and figured its very motivating for people, and it builds solid relationships in the server. Most of those people became friends, or people I would run with constantly, who also helped me out with items I would need for years after that.