Deleted

Asus 6970 Direct CU 2

Got this card when I built my current pc about a year and a half ago so I thought 'why the hell not' and came to these forums for a bit of help.

I'd like to think i'm pretty knowledgable about pc's and their 'bits and pieces' but i've never had such a stubborn piece of hardware in my life.

Basically, it has a miniscule factory overclock of 10mhz on the gpu and nothing on the memory at all.

Now I bought this card on the absolute proviso it would overclock like a beast due to the triple slot cooler that by all accounts is actually very good at keeping the card quiet. But even another 10mhz on the gpu gives me artefacts all over the place on the heaven unigine benchmark followed by the swift crash out and gpu recovery.

I know it's out of warranty, not that that would matter, but does anyone have any advice on getting any extra juice out of it? Afterburner and the (shitty) asus overclocking tool won't let me up the voltage beyond what it was set at (1.175v). Setting the fans to 100% doesn't do anything as the card is completely stable thermally and all i get is earache when the fans are set that high.

Do you reckon I just got the duff card in the batch?

Overclocking components is never a guarantee, some chips overclock like nobody's business, others refuse to go even 1MHz above the factory spec. Unfortunately, so long as the card performs at the factory settings and is not unstable, you got what you paid for.

I have one (replaced by now), and it overclocked really poorly. A bit further than yours, but only to 922 on the core.

My ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II has OC'd really well. It highly depends on the card

I managed to get it from stock speeds(780 something?) to 910 on Core Clock. Doesn't crash at all.

Depends on the card, no two chips are the same. I got lucky and got a 6950 that could unlock the shaders and do a software overclock to 902 / 1294 while undervolted to 1.078V.

AB won't let you change voltage on DCII cards, they use a non-reference design. You need the right version fo the control form ASUS.
    See: http://www.overclock.net/t/961850/as...in-afterburner