Castbar config/layout for my UI

Hey all,

been working on my UI, left it for a few months and now the only thing which looks kind of unfinished are the cast bars and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of how I should do them/skin/layout etc, because right now I think they look a bit plain and boring;

http://i41.tinypic.com/dfnee.jpg - just showing where my weakauras are so you know where there is/isn't room
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2u7og2c.jpg - Showing where Grid is relative to my current cast bar location
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2hfmoh2.jpg - Current cast bar with WA showingto show current location/space left for where it could go
    http://i44.tinypic.com/15pnxwn.jpg - target cast bar, this is the one I'm most annoyed with how it looks/location

Using AZcastbar right now, but I can use any addon really as long as it shows Player/Target/Focus bars.

Cheers =)
    Last edited by Thorim; 2013-06-09 at 10:53 AM.

First I'd like to compliment you on a great layout and design, looks really nice.

Were it me, I would probably move the cast bars in between your hp and power bars in that blank space. Depending on what your unit frames add-on is and the AZcastbar options, I would try and adjust the strata so that the cast bar is behind the enlarged hp text.

Another option for the target cast bar would be to just put it in the same spot as the power bar. You don't often need to track your target's power so closely that it would be in the way, and as a Druid, you're never likely to be a main interrupt option in your raid, so the target cast bar being small shouldn't matter too much.

You could do the same for your own, but having a couple of channeling spells, I could understand not wanting to do that. Honestly, your player cast bar isn't in a bad spot, anyway, though. I had mine setup very similarly to that, large and under my raid frames, for a while, but being a Resto Shaman, I didn't really need to monitor cast times that closely, so I eventually moved my cast bars over my portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarch View Post
    First I'd like to compliment you on a great layout and design, looks really nice.

Were it me, I would probably move the cast bars in between your hp and power bars in that blank space. Depending on what your unit frames add-on is and the AZcastbar options, I would try and adjust the strata so that the cast bar is behind the enlarged hp text.

Another option for the target cast bar would be to just put it in the same spot as the power bar. You don't often need to track your target's power so closely that it would be in the way, and as a Druid, you're never likely to be a main interrupt option in your raid, so the target cast bar being small shouldn't matter too much.

You could do the same for your own, but having a couple of channeling spells, I could understand not wanting to do that. Honestly, your player cast bar isn't in a bad spot, anyway, though. I had mine setup very similarly to that, large and under my raid frames, for a while, but being a Resto Shaman, I didn't really need to monitor cast times that closely, so I eventually moved my cast bars over my portraits.
    Yeah I thought about moving it in that gap, or moving the power bar up right under the health and having it under there, but then i thought it might look all a bit too clumped up if you know what I mean? I love the idea of having it in the strata behind the health text though, cool idea and I might actually just do that!

One problem is I can't seem to find a texture/size/border which feels 'right', sounds strange and I can't really explain beyond that XD May try experimenting with some pixel borders to the cast bar, maybe have it between the health/power, but have the border always shown, so it looks like the empty space is "filling up" if you see what I mean.

Try maybe no border texture at all, same bar texture, and bg texture/alpha as your unit frames and maybe experiment with a 1-4 pixel gap on top and bottom. Otherwise, it'll probably have to be the same border texture and thickness as the unit frame bars, cause mixing will probably look a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarch View Post
    Try maybe no border texture at all, same bar texture, and bg texture/alpha as your unit frames and maybe experiment with a 1-4 pixel gap on top and bottom. Otherwise, it'll probably have to be the same border texture and thickness as the unit frame bars, cause mixing will probably look a little off.
    Moved the enemy cast bar to under the enemy power bar, same width/length and looks good, still can't make the self cast one look right, will have to experiment some more with placement.

Deleted
    Hello Thorim, is it possible to download your UI?

Deleted
    go quartz this maybe helps?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dexxtar View Post
    Hello Thorim, is it possible to download your UI?
    download elvui or tukui or duffedui config to your needs

Deleted
    I would say just dload quartz. It's a well developed mod, been up long time and therefore reliable. It's also hugely customizable

Deleted
    just make your own through weakauras