Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should I try D3 again?

Hey guys,

Like most people, I bought the game as soon as it launched and played as much as I could. It was my first experience with the Diablo series and I loved it. I played a Wizard.

However, after completing Normal and a few acts into Nightmare, I suddenly lost all interest in the game and haven't touched it since. So my question is, should I give the game another shot? I'm wondering if I wrote it off prematurely, since many people say the game doesn't really begin until you reach Inferno or hit level 60. The game is also probably in a different state now with new patches and such.

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely sure why I stopped playing but I remember it feeling a bit grindy at the time. Another thing that put me off was getting wrecked constantly by Rakkanoth. I could never kill him alone and had to get help to get past him, even in Normal mode. However, I'd say I'm an above average gamer in general. I play a lot of other competitive games at high levels, and raid at a decent progression in WoW. Since it was my first action RPG, it is entirely possible I was approaching the game in the wrong way.

What do people think? Should I maybe try another class, or is it just one of those games where you either love or hate it?
    Ashr

Wouldn't bother, the game is pretty much a one-note tune.

Pick Class -> Get to 60 by playing the same 4 acts though all the difficulties -> Get as much crit/crit dmg/resist/stat you can afford -> Use the most efficient skill set -> grind paragon levels/farm until you quit again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play with friends, it's much more fun that way.

To be completely honest, I took Diablo 3 as a filler game.
    Let me elaborate :

When it launched I was raiding in WoW and therefore my gaming needs were met already with that just one game. But being a Diablo franchise fan I thought why let the annual pass slide when I can get D3 for free while already playing my favourite game. Then came the launch, my guild was having a 2 month raiding break so I jumped the D3 wagon. It was okay, it felt nice.
    Then I realised that the horrible RNG at that time (hasn't changed much since then) kinda put me off so I placed this game in the filler slot, meaning I'd play WoW mainly and "relax" with a few dings in D3.
    Then I took a WoW break and found Dota 2 to eat most of my gaming time, while D3 is still a filler.

Nowadays I can't bare farming nor ding more than 1 level. Not to mention key farming for the infernal machines.

Deleted
    You've got nothing to lose by trying it again at the end of the day. The real fun does begin at 60 - but if you found just doing nightmare grindy then you may not enjoy farming for gear at 60 either. I definitely agree that it's more fun with friends.

Hmm, maybe I'm not missing all that much then.

@Santti, I don't really have any friends playing the game, maybe a few acquaintances and they're all at max level. Even back then, I hated asking them for help because it was boring just tagging along while they one shotted stuff.

@Anathaema, Right now I'm raiding in WoW, playing quite a bit of Dota 2, and playing through a backlog of unfinished single player games while my guild is on Christmas break. Diablo was always a casual, filler game for me but I was wondering if the new patches brought anything which would make leveling more interesting.

Are there no significant changes once you hit max level? For example, I absolutely detest leveling alts in WoW, but I can manage to grit my teeth and push on, knowing that I'd be opening up raid content.

edit: @Shamanic, why exactly does the "real fun" begin at 60? Like you, I've heard this from many others, but they didn't tell me why
    Last edited by Ashrr; 2012-12-30 at 09:30 PM.
    Ashr

Basicly, lvling to 60 shouldent take more than 30 hours, just renember to buy some reduced lvl req items.

Once 60 you can fast complete the game on inferno 0 MP. It's nothing hard now days, 1 million gold would be needet at most to be able to farm MP 0 proboaly? Just search the AH for some time for good deals.

Once you completed the game all you can now do is achivement farming, or just grinding hoping for drops that sells on the AH, so you can buy better gear on the AH, cause you will never find items you're self thats good for you most likely.

Edit; I suggest check the offical forums trough, mmo-champion diablo forum is pretty much dead.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    well you don't have to pay again, so why not? just install and go

Its probably blizzards best game atm, you own it and its much better. Its not d2 but its not "May" d3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Once you completed the game all you can now do is achivement farming, or just grinding hoping for drops that sells on the AH, so you can buy better gear on the AH, cause you will never find items you're self thats good for you most likely.
    Another Diablo-noob question: Why do you need better gear after completing the game? Comparing it to WoW where you can always use better gear in the next tiers, unless it's the end of an expansion. Do most people continue to play after beating Inferno Diablo?

@Brazorf, right now I've got a bit of free time before I get back to work / raiding, and I have a few other games installed as well. I'm just wondering if I should spend my time in Diablo 3 or in something else. I'd also be more motivated to level up if I knew what to expect as end game content.
    Ashr

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    Another Diablo-noob question: Why do you need better gear after completing the game? Comparing it to WoW where you can always use better gear in the next tiers, unless it's the end of an expansion. Do most people continue to play after beating Inferno Diablo?
    I like that question.

Diablo games are all about farming, getting better gear, and trying to beat things faster. It's all about character progress.

What D2 had is that it was easy to get good gear and then people traded it chating and going into forums, now D3 is all about getting 0 drops and buying everything on the AH.

You should try it, I use D3 as a filler too, as Anathaema said.

Still, if you are looking it as a WoW game, don't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holymorph View Post
    I like that question.

Diablo games are all about farming, getting better gear, and trying to beat things faster. It's all about character progress.

What D2 had is that it was easy to get good gear and then people traded it chating and going into forums, now D3 is all about getting 0 drops and buying everything on the AH.

You should try it, I use D3 as a filler too, as Anathaema said.

Still, if you are looking it as a WoW game, don't play it.
    This so much. I will also add that completing the game (Inferno diablo) barely is anything now days OP. That was gone after the first nerf patch, so basicly if you didn't "go for it" early on, you missed out on anything progressive-playing that could resemble that off wow. Back then I had to do around 30-40 butcher runs before I could continue from act1 inferno, quit scarry!

Now days people just farm gear to get better and better, not all likes that, I dont inn the longer run - Mostly cause said drops never happens really. I played Diablo for around 3-4 weeks after 1.0.5, after I had geared myself up (Above 100k DPS non-buffed as wizard) to a recent level where one could faceroll anything below MP4 it started to get booring for me You shoulden't need more than 30-50 million gold to farm really good on a character for sure. Anything after that is just extrea, witch most people proboaly dont bother.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Its probably blizzards best game atm, you own it and its much better. Its not d2 but its not "May" d3.
    i agree with this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    "Its probably blizzards worst game atm, you own it and its much worse. Its not even a Diablo game." There fixed it for you.... Worst game of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDragon91 View Post
    "Its probably blizzards worst game atm, you own it and its much worse. Its not even a Diablo game." There fixed it for you.... Worst game of 2012
    >correcting other peoples' opinions with your own

Really now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiDragon91 View Post
    "Its probably blizzards best game atm, you own it and its there to enjoy. Best game of 2012
    ^ This without a doubt.

SC2 is way too old in mechanics and much too niche hardcore in e-sports.

WoW is lacking in solo challenge play (as every MMORPG is these days)

So yeah, if you want to have a solo challenge AND casual on line fun without the need to attune or rep grind in boring quest MMO 's, the only way out is Diablo 3.

Best on line engine, fastest group search in the west (around 2 seconds), best tuned challenge with MP 0-11, and real life money selling instead of paying subscriptions or gear or content to greedy designers.

D3 rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    I'd also be more motivated to level up if I knew what to expect as end game content.
    If you don't like a grindy treasure hunt then you could probably just pass on the entire genre. If you can have fun with endless and largely meaningless grinding then D3 would be a good game for you. If that's unappealing to you then something else would be a better choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

Eh, I would try it again, if you are already thinking about doing so. They made some significant changes to give the game a little more polish. The challenge indeed doesn't begin until inferno but they have made your basic inferno mode significantly easier and introduced monster power instead. I quit after I beat Diablo on inferno about a month or two after release and I came back for a couple weeks to play with a friend who still played and the new changes kept me interested for...well about two weeks. Then again, I have other things to play and I don't expect to return again for a while yet.

d3 sucks .. not worth the time

Waste of time good sir, I wouldn't spend another minute. I am having an issue with even uninstalling it, seems too time consuming. It's not even worth botting... so I hear.