Thread: Ramdisk + SWTOR

15+ Year Old Account

Ramdisk + SWTOR

I had been reading up on setting a Ramdisk up for SWTOR but couldn't seem to get my head around how to do it. My friend came over today with his own batch file version that has been set up to mount the Ramdisk and start the launcher automatically, I cannot exaggerate, I used to get < 30 fps everywhere on low graphics settings, however, since using the Ramdisk I'm getting > 50 fps solid on highest graphic settings... Anyone else tried a Ramdisk and if so did it make that much of a difference for you?

Personal experience has shown that it helps a ton, the loading screens can still take a while but other than that, the game has zero lag or stutters.

For anyone interested, here's the link on how to set one up: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=394951

I'm interested to see if anyone else has had much success with this!

yes for ppl with 6gigabytes of ram or more this helps a ton

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm probably going to sound like a total noob here but what does it actually do? Faster load times? Better fps?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    I'm probably going to sound like a total noob here but what does it actually do? Faster load times? Better fps?
    Both actually. Forces the client to load things properly. It's a work-around for a portion of the game (game engine related) that has issues at the moment. Have not tested it myself as I don't really have a problem with the way the game works for me at the moment, but I might give it a go and see what it improves.
    /hug

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you do need at least 5gb of RAM for this to work, should have mentioned that lol

How big is the boost if I'm already running on SSD?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cigar3tte View Post
    I can't see it being much of a boost if you're already using an SSD tbh

Quote Originally Posted by cigar3tte View Post
    Was going to ask that myself. I saw an insane boost from going to SSD.

I would imagine the SSD is a greater boost as you then aren't overwhelming a single bus....but I'd have to test to make sure.

On the same machine I was getting 30-40 FPS medium settings with roughly 10-12% cpu utilization and 75-80% RAM utilization (my keyboard keeps a little graph)

Then when I changed to SSD (I totally removed the old HD) I jumped to 70-80 FPS max settings with 50% cpu and 50% ram utilization

Ramdisk? OMFG, the last Ramdisk I made was exactly 20 years ago lol.

Ok I will take a closer look at this Heroengine. It will be a blast from the past really.

Poor Bethesda...

I used the SWTOR Unleashed tool (note: approved by BW) and noticed an immediate difference and I have SWTOR on an SSD. Now I'm tempted to upgrade from 6GB to 16GB so I can stuff more asset files in the ram drive, if I can find a decent 4x4GB Triple Channel kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Erudus View Post
    I can't see it being much of a boost if you're already using an SSD tbh

The best SSD average about 500mb/s

A ram disk having a dedicated lane to your northbridge (i think) gets about 4000-9000mb/s

so its MUCH faster

just youtube ssd vs hdd vs ramdisk benchmark and you will see

hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by jjadams90 View Post
    The best SSD average about 500mb/s

A ram disk having a dedicated lane to your northbridge (i think) gets about 4000-9000mb/s

so its MUCH faster

just youtube ssd vs hdd vs ramdisk benchmark and you will see

hope this helped
    Ramdisk emulation uses a lot of CPU. Considering that CPU is already loaded with the game itself it may cause fps loss instead of increase for slow CPUs. So it depends on your setup. 500MB/s is really a huge amount of data, your cpu would not be able to process it as fast as it loads it from ssd.

I see that this thread is pretty old. So swtor developers did nothing to improve memory usage in the last 6 month?
    I think its obvious that instead of using ramdisk the game can use your computer ram directly, thus improving performance much more efficiently.

I gotta try this because the game runs like shit on my computer despite my computer handling games with higher needs smoothly.

Swtor has a terrible engine I guess (Actually I know it does)

The RAMdisk is technically faster than the SSD, but the SSD is fast enough for SWTOR.