Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I can agree that the game is a hell of a lot better... But people dont need to be nice anymore because you will go back to your realm and me to mine
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I actually think there was more douche-bags in vanilla/TBC than now! Fuck me right?

i remember people had more respect in 2005/2006. the people irl are acting like retards more and more. so its normal people act more retarted in mmo to... don't live in the past.

Humanity hasn't drastically changed over the past 5 years. People were and will always be assholes, particularly in online games.

What has changed is Blizzard has removed all negative consequences of being an asshole. Much like in real life if you're at total dick all the time, people don't want to interact with you anymore.

Blizzard put in all these features that were supposed to make things more conveinent but all they ended up doing was destroying any sense of community and all responsibility and consequence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I hope you realize that is hardly "in BC." That was essentially the start of Wrath. About 3 weeks before, in fact.

Nice try. I can amend my statement from "Not as many in Van and BC" to "Not as many as in Vanilla and much of BC." Ta da.

Keep grasping at straws, though!
    Start of WotLK can hardly be called "during WotLK", that's like saying slurpy is an overall good drink judging only by first sips.
    Mind your tone will you? Here are the facts:
    http://inanage.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/wow-subs.jpg

What exactly happened in 2009? Whole Acti-Blizz merger and casual direction mess. Now ask yourself how would it be if the blizzard kept updating like it did but kept it philosophy from start. LFD/LFR with consequences for bad behaviour, same for CRZ, Telling players to simply man up and conquer the content just like in TBC? Somehow the subscriptions kept rising during those dark cruel times. How is that?

I played back then and this was just false. There would be maybe one or two people who were universally hated and avoided, but they were the exception to the rule, outliers. You either did not play back then or are vastly overestimating what actually happened.
    and I played back then and this was just true. There were always some guilds or two who were universally hated and avoided, and they were not exceptions of the rule. You either grew apathethic and played with whatever came up with little respect for your leisure time or you are vastly overestimating the power of alianation.

So, the argument is that LFR has caused people to not care anymore about etiquette. Using that very standard (Not that I even agree with it), then this quote is just patently false. People are playing with more than ever, because before it was very often you only played with your guild or certain people on your server that played at the same time as you.
    with more than ever? Could you correct that because it doesnt make sense? with more with whom? with what? If you meant playing more with each other then I think you confused played "with each other" and "next to each other". That's a HUGE difference.

and players mostly played with people they knew through guilds or friend lists. GREAT! ISNT THAT THE POINT OF SOCIALIZING IN MMORPGS?!

I know people like bashing WoW for a multitude of reasons (They can't move on, its the "cool" thing to do now, ect), but you're going to have to try a little harder than that.
    That's not bashing. That's stating the truth, you're just hipster enough to make it look like it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    People who think the community was better in the past clearly don't remember Deathbringer's Will.
    How much can 1 person nail something.

By the way, LFR/LFD being the "destroyers of community" - thats a difficult topic. I remember the past, when you had certain reputation on your server, and you felt an extreme satisfaction when you logged in and a person who you raided/dungeoned just once whispers to you, asking to join. Those were nice times, you had to earn your respect, but after you did, things were smooth and pleasant.

Looking on the other side: It was annoying as hell. Sometimes you got into a group where nothing would go right even before entering dung. You just keep replacing people, and after you find what you need, you still need to get to the dungeon itself - and get suprised when one of your dpses gets dc. LFD makes dungeoning not really easier, but easier to access. Pretty much destroying an important part of the community, but still.

But replacing the "old system" with LFD, classic pugs with LFR and empty servers with CRZ is just too much. There is no server community any more, not a slightiest bit. Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always felt that the game just keeps getting better, (yes even cata wasn't as bad as people say), its just the community. there are still peoples that play the game and arent total shitbags. though they are rare.

Crz is fine its nice seeing other players quest. LFR and LFD don't matter because oh my god you don't get the best gear in the game from them. Same thing for battlegrounds if they go into a pug or guild raid. They will get kicked instantly stop hating on things just to hate.

---------- Post added 2012-12-31 at 09:09 AM ----------

Only thing that got worse is player versus player cata wasn't that bad but mist of pandaria pvp is pretty bad atm nothing that can be fixed thou.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Burning Crusade came out in 2007....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Otiswhitaker View Post
    I'd say that the amount of assholes hasn't changed, just the ability to be grouped with them. You don't HAVE to use the randomization tools, you know, and back then, the randomization tools that DID exist, Random BGs, were and still are chock full of assholes.
    Yeah but back then blizzard didnt crippled co-operation and forbid groups to join in.
    and before "you dont have to"... Let me give you a allegory: Imagine Bus and Trams being place where harassment is a constant thing, the goverment backfires with "you dont have to" text. Do you honestly expect people who do not wish to put up with it to suddenly start walking and/or running everywhere because there's lack of basic respect toward other users?

Same with WoW LFx. Just because it's the way it is doesnt mean it can be left just like that and hope it will go away. it will never go away. Instead it will keep growing and growing untill it becomes something normal and polute other who have adleast a bit of etiquette. Then we see that thing change from abstact entertainment into burnout time>point device where nobody can leave unsatisfied. There is a term for that and it's called "ghetto-ing".

You might be interested in this interesting piece of text:
    http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/201...ghettoing.html
    Last edited by mmocac96309fe0; 2012-12-31 at 09:13 AM.

I've been playing since a few days after Vanilla launch, and I can confidently say this:

The only time the greater populace of WoW doesn't act like complete assholes is when things are new and undiscovered. The early game of WoW and the beginning of each expansion are the only times this really happens, and it's because everybody is on roughly even ground.

No other time is an exception. Servers may be slightly different in asshole volume ratios, but overall, it's the same.

Logically, people measure their value over others as a matter of their competence or amount of time spent playing the current content or the implied power of their gear equipped. By-and-large, they treat others based on these factors. It happened in Vanilla, it happened in BC, it happened in Wrath, it happened in Cataclysm, and it's happening now.

The best thing that can be done is try to reverse this by being decent to people. The problem isn't the game, some feature of the game, a period of time in the game or anything like that; it's cultural, and one we, as players, must fix.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post

The community hasn't suddenly gotten worse, there's just more assholes that feed into the cacophony of dickheadedness.
    Plus with all the cross realm stuff you get every other realms asshole flung into the mix.

I still remember a Paladin in UBRS rolling Need on Rend's off-hand sword over my Hunter. There have always been people who simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's worse for me because since Wrath of the Lich King, I am having to level up through zones and wade through stroylines that mean nothing to me, they don't have an impact for me, they don't strike me down as being important to me or my character. TBC and WotLK did. I had purpose and felt so heavily involved in Wrath. MoP is another expansion where it's another chore. I hit 90 and now levelling alts as the instances and 5 mans are just... dull... the dailies dull.... so teh game for me being worse than before is lack of actually meaningful impact and involvement and story telling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    Remember TBC 2006 We still had total assholes, trolls and shitbags. The community is the same
    While I agree with you, on my realm at least during Vanilla and TBC, those assholes, trolls, and shitbags were indeed known for being trolls, assholes, and shitbags. Consequently they never got invites to anything going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

We had a dude looking for more people to raids in trade chat. He was there every day "LFM Gruuls lair!!" and the next day and so on. He became somewhat known on the server cause he was always fixing raids.. I miss that type of thing :')

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    I've been playing since a few days after Vanilla launch, and I can confidently say this:

The only time the greater populace of WoW doesn't act like complete assholes is when things are new and undiscovered. The early game of WoW and the beginning of each expansion are the only times this really happens, and it's because everybody is on roughly even ground.

No other time is an exception. Servers may be slightly different in asshole volume ratios, but overall, it's the same.

Logically, people measure their value over others as a matter of their competence or amount of time spent playing the current content or the implied power of their gear equipped. By-and-large, they treat others based on these factors. It happened in Vanilla, it happened in BC, it happened in Wrath, it happened in Cataclysm, and it's happening now.

The best thing that can be done is try to reverse this by being decent to people. The problem isn't the game, some feature of the game, a period of time in the game or anything like that; it's cultural, and one we, as players, must fix.

I'm totally agreeing with you now!
    Id you look at it from an anthopological point of view, this is what we must do. It's in essence a world, much like the real world. And as such, we got the same people that don't care about other peeps. BUT... in here we got a few things we CAN do about it.

So I say all the people that are annoyed by this, to join forces and be righteous and treat others as you would like to be treaten!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread title: Why the game is worse than before

Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Its not.

The community is.

The game is fine, the community is not.

You should rename the title of the thread to: "Why the community is worse than before"

I'm not even going to bother with whatever else you wrote. Come on people, get your shit together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    Blizzard put in all these features that were supposed to make things more conveinent but all they ended up doing was destroying any sense of community and all responsibility and consequence.
    One thing always gets overlooked in these discussions. "The community" is always treated as this universally good and positive thing. It's always the individual who's "being a dick" and is in turn expelled from "the community", who refuses to interact with him. But who said that the community is good by default? Who says I should have to adhere to some subjective perceptions of how one should be, in order to be worthy of "the community" and the game itself?

Especially the tight-knit raider bunch is a very smug, ignorant and judgemental stratum of the realm player base that used to be delusional to think that they "make" the community. Now if that's "the community" - why would I want to be a part of that, or get along with that, or be approved by that?

In WoW, everyone can find and mark out his own community. And that's a good thing. The profanation of content helped with that. It was far worse when you had to "know people" to get to do certain stuff, and where people could judge you by retarded standards and this in turn meant that you were being locked out of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakzlol View Post
    Its not.

The community is.
    I came here to tell you this xD