Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Nice to see it's won yet another GOTY, Gz ANet!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Not sure if ppl posting know this but Gamebreaker.tv didnt give out these awards. This was pure fan voting.
    Which just shows just how strange the voting result is. If people are voting SWTOR for 3rd best mmo, best f2p really? (http://www.swtor.com/free/features) one can only call their taste in games as dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Think some people had blinkers on with some of them votes, why on earth would you vote gw2 best mmo, when its got no raiding and no rated pvp.
    I'm pretty sure rated pvp is coming. And I dont think raiders are a huge chunk of players, but I wouldn't mind if they put in the game despite all the peoples thoughts on it.

Also, neverwinter? I need to check that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 is great, but it lacks something and doesn't have the same touch on me as WoW does.

Also it's already 2013 for me 3+ hours ago. Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Think some people had blinkers on with some of them votes, why on earth would you vote gw2 best mmo, when its got no raiding and no rated pvp.
    What else would you vote? GW2 is superior compared to other MMO's that were released in 2012.
    Hi

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    I'm pretty sure people who play GW2 don't actually care about WoW. Not sure why every positive thread about GW2 on the GW2 forum is filled with WoW players bashing the game.
    Not true for myself. I still play WoW and find it very enjoyable. But I also enjoy playing GW2 and agree with the rewards it has got this year. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I see it more like a soccer award, the one who performs best in a year gets the reward. Messi might not have started his career in 2012, but he clearly deserves the award for best player of the year 2012.
    Perhaps, although Messi has clearly deserved the award for the past 5 years running.

I kind of view it like Fencers, the awards go out to the games released in that year. Perhaps they need a new category such as Lifetime game of the year or something like that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Provided the game [MMO] is released within the year of the listing and playable, this is exactly as it should be.

You don't pass out an MMO of the Year 2012 award to Vanguard anymore than you would list Moby Dick Book of the Year 2012.
    True. Funny thing is wow made the list, ironic thing is that it will probably make it next year when it will be second or third to the next FOTM MMO, oh well.

Again graphics get mistaken for aesthetics, not biggie but GW better than TERA? That game doesn't get a lot of things right but the graphics are spectacular.

I agree about the graphics versus aesthetics, although for awards they just get lumped into one overall award I think. I think GW2 has the best overall presentation in that regard.

I really liked the big ass monsters in Tera though, pretty neat looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    True. Funny thing is wow made the list, ironic thing is that it will probably make it next year when it will be second or third to the next FOTM MMO, oh well.
    I know.

Gaming in audience, journalism and critique is still a poor medium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Then you are not giving that MMO an accolade for the year of it's release.

Live development is nice and all, but the EOY typically is for year of release. Whether that be film, book, record or video game.

"Oh look, Bobby Gillespie added some tracks to Screamadelica. Record of the Year 2012."

Kinda foolish regardless of medium. Year of release is typical of editorial and audience listings for a reason.
    Oh. I'm mistaken, I thought it meant best mmo ever, which made me laugh. It can have the best mmo of the year award.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Oh. I'm mistaken, I thought it meant best mmo ever, which made me laugh. It can have the best mmo of the year award.
    It actually took both awards. Best New MMO and Best MMO.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    It actually took both awards. Best New MMO and Best MMO.
    Best MMO of the year. There weren't lifetime awards as Chickat misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I've seen like...one post from some guy suggesting an award was bought. I've seen about 500 posts like this, where someone claims that anyone who disagrees with the award is saying the award was bought.

Chill out on crying wolf.
    There were a number of posts in multiple threads on these forums, plus posts in the VG forums about this nonsense, plus posts/comments across a few dozens websites I frequent that stated the same thing.

I've seen more complaints about awards/review scores being bough (specifically EoY awards) this year than any years I've seen in the past. It's actually so common it's blowing my damn mind. It's not just for GW2, it's for any game that they personally didn't like.

I'm just beyond frustrated reading those types of comments at this point. When I see people claiming games like FTL or Hotline Miami, games that had basically zero marketing budget and aren't multi-million dollar sellers, bought their places, I want to put my fist through the internet, and into their faces (fun fact: I'm working on a device that will let me do so, still accepting donations to fund my research!)

Planetside 2 graphics are miles ahead of Gw2 on a technical point, art depends on the taste

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I think you missed what I meant. I mean that major MMO releases always clean up on awards in the year they're released, over other genres of games. Maybe partly because reviewers do such a poor job reviewing them, and players are still in that MMO-Honeymoon phase.
    No, I gotcha. And it is as it should be.

Is that an MMO in 201x? Did the editorial like it? Okay, here you go. We picked up this trophy at the hobby store. Grats.

Regardless of how much time the reviewer(s), editorial or pundits placed into the game. There is no way to "prove" they didn't enjoy the game as much as they say they did and no way to prove the irksome aspects of the game are as irksome to the award givers as they are to Fencers, Bovinity or Susie Whogivesashit. It's totally pointless to even mention.

People are not media. Time's "person of the year" accolade is a humanitarian or lifetime achievement award. No one is giving out award to Raging Bull years after the fact for the current year.