Thread: PSU calculator

10+ Year Old Account

PSU calculator

So I looked on Newegg's PSU calculator to figure out power needed, and it doesn't have options for like having an SSD and HDD both. Or case lights, fans, CPU coolers, etc. I was wondering this because I wanted to see if this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088 would be enough to power my setup. Here is what i have:

-i5 3570k (going to over clock)
    -XFX 7970 DD
    -Sabertooth Z77
    -Corsair SSD 120g
    -WD Caviar Black 1TB
    -Xigmatech Dark Knight II Cpu Cooler
    -CM Storm Trooper Case (8 fans on this case)
    -16g Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

The calculator says I need 483 w PSU, but like I said, there aren't options for having both SSD and HDD, case fans, etc.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2012-12-31 at 02:55 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sthos View Post
    650 is plenty
    Are you sure? Because I would like to get this PSU, it's at a very good price. But I don't want to be cutting it close.

Edit: I meant to type XFX 7970. Not 7870

Technically a 400W PSU would be enough, but they don't come with the right cables attached.

The one you found will run that PC with enough headroom that you could fit another 7970 in there (with about 30 watts to spare) if you wanted to.

That system will demand about the following from the PSU:
    CPU: 80W (at stock clocks)
    GPU: 220W
    motherboard, fans, HDDs, USB devices: 50-60W.

= 350-360W
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-12-31 at 03:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Technically a 400W PSU would be enough, but they don't come with the right cables attached.

The one you found will run that PC with enough headroom that you could fit another 7970 in there (with about 30 watts to spare) if you wanted to.
    Oh cool. Thanks for the response. I'll get it then.

Deleted
    Yes it's more than enough and it's a very nice PSU, you could even run CF in the future.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that power supply is a pretty decent one at that. I trust anything from Seasonic when it comes to PSU's.

I just got that one too for my 3570K & 7950 setup. I initially got a 550W non-modular PSU (XFX) but decided to upgrade after only a month. More than enough power and I got it for future expansion (Crossfire and whatnot).

That PSU is more than enough. Good quality PSUs, especially with this one, tend to run very efficient, and being a Seasonic brand, I'd trust it without any second thoughts. Even if you were to overclock your i5-3570k, it's not going to significantly increase the power consumption by that much, since it's a really power efficient chip based on the newest 22nm architecture.

I own a Seasonic X-660 myself, on an i7-3770k @4.7Ghz, as well as a heavily overclocked GTX 680 Lightning without any problems, and just to get an idea of what the calculators have been thinking, I don't use up anywhere near 550w.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would not get below 600 but if i were you i would get a 750 watt because overtime psu lose efficiency and you might want to overclock it down the line we never know

Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    i would not get below 600 but if i were you i would get a 750 watt because overtime psu lose efficiency and you might want to overclock it down the line we never know
    Even if that Seasonic loses 10% of its wattage (it won't - at least in the next 5 or so years), it will still have more than enough to run crossfire 7970s.