Thread: USB sound cards

USB sound cards

I just want to know something, when using a voice communication program like skype, vent and mumble my mic makes a faint buzzing like noise. I know it's not my headset because it did it for my old one and I thought that's what was causing it so I bought a really nice mic and its still doing it. So I was just wondering if I bought a USB sound card for my PC not a laptop would it work / possibly fix this problem? If a USB one won't work should I get a PCI one? Any help would be much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, are you using the front panel microphone in, or are you using the ones on the motherboard at the I/O?

Have you tried switching them around? What's your motherboard?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    A USB one just seems unnecessarily... obtrusive? I dunno. I can't think of a single reason to get a USB one over a PCI one with a desktop. PCI will likely be cheaper, and if anything better.

It's feasible that you do have a problem with your audio card jacks and if so, a USB sound card would fix the problem. You can find some cheap stereo USB audio adapters online, so it might be worth a shot, especially if you're confident it's not your headset.

Out of the dozen+ computers I've had over the years, I've actually had issues with the audio jacks I think 3 times now. One was a bad mic jack, another had a bad audio input jack, and the third just developed static over time. A few years back I started using USB headsets for voice chat and have stuck with it. Plus one nice benefit of USB audio is that it shows up as a separate sound device in Windows, so I can keep my game audio configured to use my speakers, and use the USB headset strictly with Vent/Skype/etc. Or pipe everything to the headset, depending on what I'm doing; the option is nice to have.

Deleted
    I use an USB soundcard to play my guitar through.. it's a pod ux1! Works pretty decent!
    I also have a external microphone that i use in that, works well if you have the money!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157279 Thats the motherboard and idk if it matters but heres the case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119227 I tried the front and back and it does it for both.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A USB one just seems unnecessarily... obtrusive? I dunno. I can't think of a single reason to get a USB one over a PCI one with a desktop. PCI will likely be cheaper, and if anything better.
    that's false. USB sound cards cost peanuts. You can get them off ebay for 1.5 usd.
    They dont have a buzzing noise and dont have bass response either, but i doubt that that's gonna be an issue.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    I'd personally avoid USB sound cards, potentially more CPU overhead.