Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    any chance you can outline the exact scenario you are in ?(location/distances/safe to keep things for longer periods of time/mobility via what medium/etc, allong those lines in details.)
    perhaps this could be a combination of prior threads aswell.
    more specifics on the situation is the best way we can help. (for example got an idea if you were to travel between 2 points on regular basis etc)
    you can consider it brand bias, however don't forget that it is actually based on performance numbers/benchmarks/statistics so one could say it is based on something logical. (but no more i digress, if anyone feels free to talk specifics just toss me a PM)
    I currently have 2 places of living, and I do light traveling a few times a month (a few towns I drive to, not airplane or anything). I keep my desktop at one spot, and the new computer at other spot although I frequently stay up near work at a friends house (3 living spaces total). I need a big monitor just because...well I'm spoiled and I have a 27 inch monitor on my desktop so now anything less is sub-par. I was thinking about a dual GPU laptop for around the same $2,500 price tag from sager but I honestly expect much better build quality from an Apple. Plus you can't go wrong with a 27 inch IPS 1440p display >.>. An all in one seems like the next best thing for when I need to be a little mobile, what with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Seems like the logical answer to me.

Keep in mind that with the student education pricing, I'm getting a 27 inch 1440p IPS panel, the worlds top single GPU mobile graphics card as of now, a speedy i7-3770, 1 terabyte drive with 128gb SSD (not cacheing, actually usable space) in a new slim form-factor from a company that excells in customer service, and has a history if high build quality all for less than $2600. Plus only 1 chord to drag around when I need to move it for a few days.
    Last edited by Uncle Julian; 2013-01-03 at 05:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Keep in mind that with the student education pricing, I'm getting a 27 inch 1440p IPS panel, the worlds top single GPU mobile graphics card as of now, a speedy i7-3770, 1 terabyte drive with 128gb SSD (not cacheing, actually usable space) in a new slim form-factor from a company that excells in customer service, and has a history if high build quality all for less than $2600. Plus only 1 chord to drag around when I need to move it for a few days.
    honestly looking at it though, i dont think it's worth it

you could buy a laptop and a 1440p monitor and get a better deal

and apple does not have as high of a build quality as most people think, and their customer service is not what it was last year

honestly i think you would be better off with a dell u2711/u2713 monitor and an Alienware x51

you would get similar performance, but better build quality and customer service

or you could custom build an ITX to use with an apple 27" display,

unlike the macbookpros or the mac minis, IMO you are plain out getting ripped off with a imac, however, if that's what you want to go for, then go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    I currently have 2 places of living, and I do light traveling a few times a month (a few towns I drive to, not airplane or anything). I keep my desktop at one spot, and the new computer at other spot although I frequently stay up near work at a friends house (3 living spaces total). I need a big monitor just because...well I'm spoiled and I have a 27 inch monitor on my desktop so now anything less is sub-par. I was thinking about a dual GPU laptop for around the same $2,500 price tag from sager but I honestly expect much better build quality from an Apple. Plus you can't go wrong with a 27 inch IPS 1440p display >.>. An all in one seems like the next best thing for when I need to be a little mobile, what with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Seems like the logical answer to me.

Spending 2600$ on a mac lol... well Apple has to make there money somehow. Could just build a computer twice as good and buy a 30 inch monitor and save 100's of dollars, if you want buy one of those mac stickers and put it on the monitor so when your friends come over you can say its a mac and still get the social stigma. Just get a lanbox or a nice gaming laptop.
    Last edited by skatblast; 2013-01-03 at 09:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Spending 2600$ on a mac lol... well Apple has to make there money somehow. Could just build a computer twice as good and buy a 30 inch monitor and save 100's of dollars, if you want buy one of those mac stickers and put it on the monitor so when your friends come over you can say its a mac and still get the social stigma. Just get a lanbox or a nice gaming laptop.
    Do you really want to start this argument after you were asked not to?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    still mobile parts for a desktop at such pricetag a rather not scenario.
    While it is premium price don't forget it packs a decent IPS panel, keyboard/mice which will most likely be changed as a MMO player and few other features (software wise). iMacs are great all in ones for what they are, other then that nothing more. But if you are determined in getting one, then go ahead, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Personally, even though no one asked for this, I dislike them with passion.

@Cyanotical
    Quad SLI 690? O.o

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 01:35 AM ----------

Nice, thanks for the link this actually looks very interesting!
    Last edited by Mister K; 2013-01-04 at 01:37 AM.
    -K

I'm curious. Do iMacs allow input from other devices into the monitor like a lot of other all-in-ones? You know, so you can use the good panel for something else later down the line.

I think you can through their thunderbolt port or something. Need an adapter though, but I assume they have one that goes to HDMI...pretty stupid it's not standard on it though