Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I doubt they require a high level of "smartness" I just find that notion so... queer.
    They do. Introductory material is a breeze, but it's designed that way to get people interested. Once you start getting into studying actual, real-world systems it gets significantly more complex and difficult. Memory only gets you as far as learning the tools needed to perform the real stuff. After that it's about being "smart", whatever that word actually means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Yeah, but that's for unskilled people. In this case, unintelligent people. I'm not trying to stroke the OP's ego but the fact that he's an INTP on a Jung personality test, according to another one of his threads, is more than enough to conclude he's significantly above average when it comes to intelligence. It's worth noting, though, that a majority of really intelligent people are humble about it and the OP isn't bragging.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I know im smart, my mother had me tested...

Or maybe that's how i know i'm not crazy...
    I doubt many people will get the reference. You know, you kind of have to be a geek to love that show. And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing geeks here, in fact, I LOVE that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah, but that's for unskilled people. In this case, unintelligent people. I'm not trying to stroke the OP's ego but the fact that he's an INTP on a Jung personality test, according to another one of his threads, is more than enough to conclude he's significantly above average when it comes to intelligence. It's worth noting, though, that a majority of really intelligent people are humble about it and the OP isn't bragging.
    Care to explain how you drew a link between personality type and intelligence? Many psychologists don't even use it because it's not very reliable and depends on too much external validation. Basically, it's a classification system that doesn't have a scientific basis (aka pseudo-scientific).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I've had the same as you OP.
    But then I realise that I feel smarter because I realised I am no smarter then the average person.
    But then I realise that I think that way and I feel smart again and the whole thing repeats himself again.

If you know what I mean >.<

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkyjunky View Post
    Sorry to bother you. But could you please explain the difference between your and you're?
    It's the difference between "Knowing your shit" and "Knowing you're shit."

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    It's the difference between "Knowing your shit" and "Knowing you're shit."
    Now that's smart.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Congratulations Sandmoth12, you are now ready for the next step!

Intelligence is relative. Someone might be very smart when it comes to one thing, but when it comes to something else they are mediocre.

I would say don't try to be "smarter" than other people, Learn and gather intelligence to expand your mind.

Just because you are not smarter than them dose not mean they are as dumb or dumber than you, some very smart people i've known(now lawyers) have absolutely no common sense when it comes to what some consider simple and do some exceptionally dumb things.
    Working as a pleb shop assistant(hell i know i ain't Einstein) you get people that make you think WTF are they doing outside unattended...after working as a sales assistant for 10 years i can tell you i may be dumb but i'm not anywhere near as thick as 80% of my customers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm apparently INTP also, and tbh it means absolutely sod all.

I've also had to come to terms with the fact that while I am smart, it takes alot more than just brains to make a success of yourself in life. It was a humbling experience when I realised that, and now I'm wallowing in a mire of my own inadequacy, since I've basically thrown every opportunity away in my life, as it was unfortunately rather late in my education before this occurred to me. It's good the OP has realised this before it was too late. He'll be fine.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account

I doubt many people will get the reference. You know, you kind of have to be a geek to love that show. And don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing geeks here, in fact, I LOVE that show.
    Well firstly, the Dunning-Kruger effect has more to do with competence than specifically skills. Mental competence is one component of that.

Secondly, the impression I got from the OP was that he WAS bragging, or at least stroking his ego publicly, while doing so in the guise of humility. It's something I'm pretty sure I did too when I was like 18 years old. I didn't even realize that's what I was doing until later in life. Also, why would a personality test tell you anything about his intelligence? I'm an ENTP and I don't think that makes me any smarter or dumber than an ISFJ.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-01-01 at 02:38 AM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

God like, 99% of the WoW community suffers from this rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Care to explain how you drew a link between personality type and intelligence?
    I'd be lying if i said i wasn't basing the correlation between intelligence and how introvert or extrovert someone is on anecdotal experience. There's a point where you've got a big enough data sample where it doesn't matter if it's just from one person to draw conclusions on statistical evidence, even if personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Basically, it's a classification system that doesn't have a scientific basis (aka pseudo-scientific).
    Seeing as it's real psychologists that developed that system using real psychological scientific methods and seeing as real psychologists use it to this day, it's not pseudo-science. You might as well call the entire field of psychology pseudo-science if you're so eager to call its individual areas of study pseudo-scientific just because they don't fit well with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Also, why would a personality test tell you anything about his intelligence? I'm an ENTP and I don't think that makes me any smarter or dumber than an ISFJ.
    Well, as I've said, correlations can be made. Doesn't mean they're always true for everyone though, obviously. Speaking purely from anecdotal experience, for example, I haven't met an introvert that wasn't more intelligent than the average person.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 04:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    I've also had to come to terms with the fact that while I am smart, it takes alot more than just brains to make a success of yourself in life.
    This is obviously very true but at least from what I've noticed, being "smart" makes it a lot easier to succeed in life. Well, provided you aren't too lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be lying if i said i wasn't basing the correlation between intelligence and how introvert or extrovert someone is on anecdotal experience. There's a point where you've got a big enough data sample where it doesn't matter if it's just from one person to draw conclusions on statistical evidence, even if personal.

Seeing as it's real psychologists that developed that system using real psychological scientific methods and seeing as real psychologists use it to this day, it's not pseudo-science. You might as well call the entire field of psychology pseudo-science if you're so eager to call its individual areas of study pseudo-scientific just because they don't fit well with you.

Well, as I've said, correlations can be made. Doesn't mean they're always true for everyone though, obviously. Speaking purely from anecdotal experience, for example, I haven't met an introvert that wasn't more intelligent than the average person.
    Honestly, I don't know very many introverts except through gaming/online interactions. All my family and friends my whole life have been extroverts (I've never had any gamer friends. It's always been almost like a pseudo-secret hobby for me. My friends all know I play, but we pretty much never talk about it), except maybe my father (total introvert) who's probably the smartest man I've ever known, when it comes to designing integrated circuits, printed circuit boards, computer programming, woodworking, construction, CNC milling, and any number of other things. He's like Leonardo DaVinci, but he's not particularly good in social situations. It's like he's got all of one type of intelligence and very little of the other. I also know lots of brilliant extroverts though, so it's hard for me to draw a correlation, even based on anecdotal evidence.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    It's all relative dood. Smart is an ever shifting landscape. I live close to a river, the place on the other side is called a mountain, which it is NOT, but if you stand down at the river where the fur traders once stood and look up, it sure as hell looks like one.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Difference in intelligence between groups of people of different MTBI personalities is marginal at best (probably within 5 IQ). Couple that with the high variance within a group and you can easily have an individual from a 'lower intelligence' personality type be more intelligent than an individual from a 'higher intelligence' personality type.

@ OP - If you're at a community college, your view of 'smart' is narrow. The level of excellence required at a community college is low compared to a four year college, especially a top 100 research university. In addition, you can't consider a class easy unless you've scored an A in it. Getting 'no Cs' doesn't cut it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Difference in intelligence between groups of people of different MTBI personalities is marginal at best (probably within 5 IQ). Couple that with the high variance within a group and you can easily have an individual from a 'lower intelligence' personality type be more intelligent than an individual from a 'higher intelligence' personality type.

@ OP - If you're at a community college, your view of 'smart' is narrow. The level of excellence required at a community college is low compared to a four year college, especially a top 100 research university. In addition, you can't consider a class easy unless you've scored an A in it. Getting 'no Cs' doesn't cut it.
    I dunno. I always got my C grades in the easiest classes because I simply couldn't bring myself to care about them. All the classes that were generally considered "hard" were the ones I got As in.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I dunno. I always got my C grades in the easiest classes because I simply couldn't bring myself to care about them. All the classes that were generally considered "hard" were the ones I got As in.
    The logic goes: "If it was easy, you should have gotten an A".

For me personally I've recognized that everyone is good at something and know one is good at everything. Honestly the truly "intelligent" or "smart" people are the people who can do what they enjoy in life and they keep trying to do what they enjoy. Whether that's someone who enjoys to program and that's their job to or if it's someone who enjoys working with the public i.e customer service. The key to everything is do what you enjoy and you'll find that learning and expanding your knowledge about what you enjoy will be very fun and a life long process.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    In addition, you can't consider a class easy unless you've scored an A in it. Getting 'no Cs' doesn't cut it.
    I don't know, if I could skip every lecture and every coursework assignment and only attend the final exam that's worth 60% of the final grade, and still get a C... Then I think it's fair to say the class is super easy.