Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Most complicated resource system

I want to get feedback on what people think is the most complicated resource system. If I forgot any please add it.

Here are the one I can think of:

Mana
    Energy + combo points
    Energy + chi
    Rage
    Runes + runic power
    Lunar/solar power
    Holy power
    Focus
    Demonic Fury
    Burning Embers
    Last edited by Argorwal; 2013-01-01 at 04:23 AM.

Deleted
    Runes + Runic power

Deleted
    Don't forget Demonic Fury.

None, For the most part they aren't really complicated.
    Mana: Spend until you're out then hit your regen buttons when appropriate.
    Energy: Do you have enough energy? No? Wait a second. Do you have combo points/chi? Use them at the appropriate amount that EJ says is best.
    Rage: Hit thing things, get rage, hit things more.
    Runes:Hit things, get runic power, spend runic power, out of runes? Wait a second. Use runes.
    Lunar/Solar Power: Are you gaining Solar/Lunar Power? Hit your "gain" spell as appropriate. Are you in an eclipse? Cast your nuke spell that is appropriate.
    Holy Power: Hit stuff, spend stuff.
    Focus: See energy but don't care about combo points.

Well I haven't played a boomkin, so out of the others I'd have to say runes/runic power. RP is easy, but making sure that rune cds are timed correctly in the middle of a fight can be complicated. Holy power, burning embers, and other ones like those on the other hand, are pretty much just "spend when you have X amount" so very easy to me.

Forgot burning embers, although its not hard to manage really. I suppose for me it would be energy and chi, just because I havent really played my monk much.

Death Knight Runes/Runic Power is definitely the most complicated. Two each of three types of runes (that have a chance to turn into a fourth type), all on their own cooldown, in addition to runic power, and each ability uses/generates a unique set of runes/runic power...eesh. It become intuitive eventually if you practice with it, but I'd say it has the steepest learning curve of all the resource systems.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherForumPoster View Post
    None, For the most part they aren't really complicated.
    Mana: Spend until you're out then hit your regen buttons when appropriate.
    Energy: Do you have enough energy? No? Wait a second. Do you have combo points/chi? Use them at the appropriate amount that EJ says is best.
    Rage: Hit thing things, get rage, hit things more.
    Runes:Hit things, get runic power, spend runic power, out of runes? Wait a second. Use runes.
    Lunar/Solar Power: Are you gaining Solar/Lunar Power? Hit your "gain" spell as appropriate. Are you in an eclipse? Cast your nuke spell that is appropriate.
    Holy Power: Hit stuff, spend stuff.
    Focus: See energy but don't care about combo points.
    You're grossly oversimplifying things. You ever play a warrior? I'm by no means saying that rage is a super, ungodly difficult resource to manage. But there's a lot of factors you have to keep in mind about using it and not capping it.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    You're grossly oversimplifying things. You ever play a warrior? I'm by no means saying that rage is a super, ungodly difficult resource to manage. But there's a lot of factors you have to keep in mind about using it and not capping it.
    Yeah actually I've played almost every class and spec at some point in time since Cata. It can be frustrating at times (less so imo since MoP allows easier generation and as a result more control over rage) but I wouldn't at any point say that any spec or resource type is really difficult or overly complicated since most rotations can be simplified into ten or less steps and provide valid results.

Runes definitely, I've deleted 3 Death Knights so far because I just dont like concentrating more on the runes than what's happening on the screen.

Focus is second and almost as annoying, who thought a primary resource that has to be manually generated with cast times was a good idea?

Energy is almost as bad too.

Resource managment is just not fun.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lunar/Solar power must be one of the most retarded things ingame. For me personally though I guess it's energy. I can never get used to energy classes such as rogues, when to refresh Slice and Dice etc, I find myself spamming buttons instead of waiting on enough energy gain which results in my fingers dying from spamming.

Didn't have a problem at all with the rune system, maybe because I've always played Unholy DPS (after the Blood DPS deletion ...gg) and I can now play it with my eyes closed...athene style.

Intelligence+ Common Sense

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Runes definitely, I've deleted 3 Death Knights so far because I just dont like concentrating more on the runes than what's happening on the screen.

Focus is second and almost as annoying, who thought a primary resource that has to be manually generated with cast times was a good idea?

Energy is almost as bad too.

Resource managment is just not fun.
    Maybe you should play Mario Kart instead.

Seriously, assuming you play PvE, what point is there in playing WoW if you hate resource management? It's pretty much your only personal challenge; knowing what button to press, and when to press it.

Probably runes + runic power. It's like a dynamic haste-affected cooldown system.

cata era lunar/solar energy were pretty annoying and downright strange at times (factoring in things like enormous hitboxes and the traveltime on wrath/starsurge were always a pain in the ass). thankfully they made that more straightforward for mop.

runes/runic power probably take the most getting used to.

I don't find any of them to be all that complicated.... though I find Rage to be the most frustrating by far.

Thing is, each resource system is intimately tied to the class that uses it. Runes and Runic Power are the most complicated inherently, but the limitations on what you can spend runes on makes that system a bit less complicated in practice. Focus is pretty basic and straight forward as a system, but learning to manage that in addition to the cooldown on your primary shot/ability and the cast time on your cobra/steady shot can take some getting used to (it's not hard, but it does take getting used to.) Rage can be very random and sporadic at times, which makes managing it a bit of an art until you've got enough gear to make your rage generation more regular.

So.... as a resource system, probably runes/runic power, but I don't think that means death knights are the most complicated class to play.

It has to be runes. Sure people are gonna come in here and say aw nothing in WoW is complicated blah blah, but runes are way ahead of the other resources in the complicated department.
    Hi Sephurik

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Runes + Runic power by far. It's the reason I don't play a death knight anymore, their resource system takes too much micro management if you want to do it optimal.

And stop with the "everything is easy" crap. There's a big difference between for instance just waiting on rune cooldowns as they come, and actively making sure you're getting the absolute most out of the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    All of these people saying runes, haha!

UH Rune combo -

Unholy = Scourge Strike/Reaping
    Death = Scourge Strike/Reaping
    Blood & Frost, Blood & Death, Frost & Blood or Frost & Death = Festering Strike
    Runic Power = Death Coil

Muh brainz... dey hurt!

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to think the new rage system was annoying/sort of hard but then my warrior got geared damn well as Fury and now it's a joke. Runic power/runes are a headache to me though, especially at lower gear levels where I can have 4-5 seconds of empty GCD... I love runes for Blood though. They aren't that bad compared to the clusterfuck that was Cata ret holy power before 5.0, never did Ret in good gear or any time past entry Cata 5 mans, but it made my head hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS