New Years Celebratons

This probably isn't so common around the world except in America, once New Years day hits, what do I hear. Gun shots, lots of gun shots. It doesn't matter if I am in a middle class urban area, or a upper class suburb. I always hear gunshots. It is nerve racking for 1, guns shouldn't be used to celebrate the new year and all I can think is, what if there is a stray bullet?! Usually people celebrating are also drinking, just seems like an all around bad idea.

Reminds me of July 4th all the police being dispatched to gunfire calls, yet it is generally really fireworks. Cause really discharging a firearm is against the law just for the shake of discharging it in populated areas. Now out in the country sure people do it, but in a populated area sure you aren't just hearing firework poppers.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

Huh. I don't. I also don't live in Texas or redneck county and I don't think this would be common anywhere else (also, you could be hearing fireworks). I really don't see many Americans randomly go out to their backyard and start blasting away at midnight. Sorry, not sure what the point is here but we have lots of guns are bad threads as it is, and that is all I'm taking from this.

hmm... i dont think you should say in america in such a generalizing way. i've never heard gun shots on any holiday in new hampshire, nor massachusetts.

You sure you aren't just hearing fireworks?

Most likely it was fireworks as my neighbors shoot some off every year. Most people don't discharge guns for the celebration of a new year.

OP's never seen fireworks before? They're these tiny rockets that swoosh into the air and explode in the sky.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    OP's never seen fireworks before? They're these tiny rockets that swoosh into the air and explode in the sky.
    I don't know. When I saw my neighbour 2 years ago with SHOTGUN in front of his house firing up at the sky I guess I was just missing all the sparkles. I know fire works and I know gun shots. I used to visit a friend who lived in quite a bad neighborhood where I heard shootings quite often.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jhurley713 View Post
    hmm... i dont think you should say in america in such a generalizing way. i've never heard gun shots on any holiday in new hampshire, nor massachusetts.
    I say America because most other countries have much stricter gun control. So you won't find your neighbour so readily firing off shots to celebreate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This probably isn't so common around the world except in America, once New Years day hits, what do I hear. Gun shots, lots of gun shots. It doesn't matter if I am in a middle class urban area, or a upper class suburb. I always hear gunshots. It is nerve racking for 1, guns shouldn't be used to celebrate the new year and all I can think is, what if there is a stray bullet?! Usually people celebrating are also drinking, just seems like an all around bad idea.
    I've never heard gunshots on New Years.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure its not fireworks? Honestly sometimes I cant tell the difference since im not around guns that much lol

Probably fireworks saw quite a few this evening, but no guns.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Yah most of it is probably fireworks, my dad had some homemade fireworks this year and though I watched them go off just the sound was similar to something of a .50 cal range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I live in Hicksville USA (aka a small town in Wyoming, the cowboy state), and I haven't heard a SINGLE gun shot all night. I've heard lots of fireworks though. Lots and LOTS of fireworks.

All I can say to the OP is are you sure you heard gunfire and not fireworks? I'm willing to bet you heard the latter.

I don't know. When I saw my neighbour 2 years ago with SHOTGUN in front of his house firing up at the sky I guess I was just missing all the sparkles. I know fire works and I know gun shots. I used to visit a friend who lived in quite a bad neighborhood where I heard shootings quite often.

---------- Post added 2013-01-01 at 12:32 AM ----------

I say America because most other countries have much stricter gun control. So you won't find your neighbour so readily firing off shots to celebreate.
    And thus I now know you don't live in America, or any other country that uses fireworks for celebration. It is VERY easy to differentiate between gunshots and fireworks. Obviously you don't know this.

Oh and by the way, your exceptionally grandiose tinfoil hat is showing.
    Last edited by Ryuukon; 2013-01-01 at 11:34 AM.