Leveling speed 80-85 in MoP

Hey,
    i was wondering, since we have some changes in the level range 80-85, like new heirlooms and lowered xp needed, whats the leveling speed now?
    How much hours do you think i will need to go from 80-85?
    And is it better to do quests or run the cata instances?

Thank you!

I think in general questing is faster than instances. As long as you are a proper quester and no one else is around. I managed to beat the 5 man speed team to level 86 when MoP came out on quests alone.

The answer to that will mostly depend on how quickly you can get through the Cata zones normally. I recently did a number of runs through Cata quests to level up a series of alts to 85. With full heirlooms, no rest state, and leveling in pairs I was 82 about 3/4 through Hyjal, just short of 84 after completing all quests in Deepholm (opening the portal to Uldum or Therazane dailies bumped it up to 84), and 85 about 1/3 of the way through Twilight Highlands. (I prefer these zones because they tend to have much better organized quest hubs for quicker questing)

So for me, I would say I spent about 8-10 hours with each pair. With a rest state and working alone cut that to about 6-8 hours I think. And I never found Cataclysm instances to be particularly efficient. While not as brutal as the heroic modes, they're still filled with mechanics pugs can struggle with. Not to mention Cata is the expansion that experience pool totals start making exponential increases, so it definitely doesn't seem to be anywhere near as fast as a dedicated quest grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the 85 hierlooms come out, itll be extremely fast, about an hour per lvl. ATM, i tend to do maybe 40 quests per zone before moving to the next (Thats quite a bit under half for most zones, compared to original).
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    When the 85 hierlooms come out, itll be extremely fast, about an hour per lvl.
    This sounds about right.
    I did 80-85 on my DK, without heirlooms/rested (but with guild bonus) in just 8 hours.
    +50% xp from heirlooms will most likely reduce it to 5 hours.. Less if you have rested..

If ur tank or healer 1-3 hours fully loomed. with instances : ) if dps do some questing while in que, que for spesific so u get to the instance with new quests always ^_^ 1-5 hours played max

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    If ur tank or healer 1-3 hours fully loomed. with instances : ) if dps do some questing while in que, que for spesific so u get to the instance with new quests always ^_^ 1-5 hours played max
    No fekking way..

Instance levelling is PAINFULLY slow.
    My 86 tankadin haven't left Orgrimmar since he was level 20ish (except for a few trips to odd vendors), and from my 9 toon at level 83+ he was BY FAR the slowest to level.
    It's most likely 2-3 times as slow to level in dungeons as questing...

This is with (near) instant dungeon queue, heirlooms (shoulder, head, cloak, chest, weapon, trinkets), ALWAYS rested bonus and guild bonus.
    Questing without any bonusses (except guild) was ATLEAST twice as fast..

10+ Year Old Account
    Took me between 4 to 6 hours on my Monk on release day.
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Quote Originally Posted by Ogait View Post
    Took me between 4 to 6 hours on my Monk on release day.
    Something like this.. bearing in mind Monks do generally get around 50% bonus with the heirlooms and their quest (which i believe is reduced to 20% at level 80)

Saying that though... the worth of getting all your heirlooms to level 85, isn't worth it, as you're paying double the JP on the current level 1-80 ones.

At 84: hit the Crucible of Carnage with some friends. That's about 20-25% of your xp in less than 10 minutes.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Instances are only faster if you do them once for the quests they have. Theres absolutely no doubt that they are otherwise slower than questing.

I went from 84 to 85 on a char recently with the TH opening quests, 2 instances and the crucible with no rested XP. A guildie did it on a monk with the crucible and one instance with rested XP.