Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    "where can I que for battlegrounds?"
    It's queue, QUEUE!!!!!
    Heh...I see a lot of people say just a simple "q" also, and that drives me nuts. Then there's when they pronounce it "qway" but that's a different story. :P

Another one I'm guilty of using myself and having absolutely no idea where it even came into existence is saying "bio" for "bathroom break".

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Actually, "dat" is sometimes used for emphasis of a specific thing; yes, grammatically it's very incorrect but in the gaming community it's acceptable. E.g. "Dat damage" implying that whoever they're referring to is doing a lot of damage. I don't know in which context you saw it in, but it is used like this sometimes. (Also, I have no idea where it originated from to mean such a thing.)
    You didn't change anything. "Dat" = "that".
    Keep The Beats!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    Heh...I see a lot of people say just a simple "q" also, and that drives me nuts. Then there's when they pronounce it "qway" but that's a different story. :P

Another one I'm guilty of using myself and having absolutely no idea where it even came into existence is sayingG "bio" for "bathroom break".
    As in: "I need to go and perform a natural biological function". It's mainly used as a less offensive way of explaining you need to go for a poopoo or peepee without putting party members off their coco pops.
    Hence, "bio break" or just taking a "bio"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    You didn't change anything. "Dat" = "that".
    Did you even read all of my post? Yes, people use "Dat" in place of "That" but it could have been for the reason I explained above (Sometimes, which is why I also mentioned that I didn't know what context the previous poster has seen it in) and not just cause they like writing it like dat (see what I did there?). I never said that "Dat" was NOT a replacement for "That".

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Did you even read all of my post? Yes, people use "Dat" in place of "That" but it could have been for the reason I explained above (Sometimes, which is why I also mentioned that I didn't know what context the previous poster has seen it in) and not just cause they like writing it like dat (see what I did there?).
    Yeah we all read it and it still makes no sense.

Dat =/= A lot
    Dat =/= That

i don't see whats wrong with spelling things wrong, the majority of people playing wow doesnt even have english as their main language, stop complaining

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    As in: "I need to go and perform a natural biological function". It's mainly used as a less offensive way of explaining you need to go for a poopoo or peepee without putting party members off their coco pops.
    Hence, "bio break" or just taking a "bio"
    Hehe, ahhhh I see, thank you.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever even had a guild where people didn't just straight up say in candid detail what it was they were about to go do haha. I must start to associate with some different people. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    Again, though, why is it terrible? Replacing "Today" with "2day" doesn't hinder communication. It doesn't hinder education, or social development. It doesn't diminish the ability to communicate whatsoever. So *WHY* is it "a terrible thing", aside from the fact that it annoys you?
    Why is it a terrible thing? For a few reasons.

1) "2" is not a letter. 2day is closer to 48 hours vs 24 hours. 2day is to today as Ha8==D is to happiness.
    2) Standardization is also pretty important when it comes to written language vs words spelled out phonetically. Twoday makes as much sense as a tuna ghiti would. Just because, in certain contexts, "gh" makes an "f" sound and "ti" makes a "sh" sound, doesn't mean that it's appropriate to interchange the two.

I'm not arguing that these things aren't hindering communication, but it is regression. I won't agree that the ability to (or lack of) one's ability to express themselves and communicate clearly doesn't hinder education. Nor does it hinder education. And, judging by this thread, it can hinder social development bcuz sum ppl want 2 avoid other ppl who cannot talk its just the internet u mad bro? I suppose one could say that myself and those like-minded would not be missed, but then (INCOMING STEREOTYPE) they may, more likely, be communicating with less educated - hindering the first two points, education and education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Deleted
    Thrash instead of trash. "Let's clear the thrash"
    Ore instead of or. "LF Tank ore Healer"

Not so much a spelling mistake but when trash is referred to as "adds". "Adds" are something that spawns during the boss fight, not static trash.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagobha View Post
    i don't see whats wrong with spelling things wrong, the majority of people playing wow doesnt even have english as their main language, stop complaining
    I agree, and I feel ashamed that English is the only language I can speak fluently sometimes, when other nationalities are so fluent in it and it's their second or even third language.
    But you can tell by the syntax and way the sentences are strung together, that a HUGE majority of the players making common spelling mistakes are native English speakers in the first place.
    Unfortunately the British education system and 'Chav-culture' has a lot to answer for. As well as the world of 4chan, Reddit and their awful memes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    And there's a difference between getting annoyed at a careless typo - where something is merely incorrect - and getting annoyed over an intentionally altered way of expressing something. It's the latter that I find to be completely irrational.
    I find the latter to be more rare then you might think. I find it done mostly out of ignorance, not intention. And THAT is annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagobha View Post
    You would have a point, if there wasn't an entire listing of 200+ North American servers which support the United States and Australia, both almost entirely English speaking nations. So on a European server, I can see typos being a lot more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I feel dumb. I always thought "PST" meant like the sound you make when you whisper someone. Therefore meaning whisper me.
    Same..

Mind = blown.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    You would have a point, if there wasn't an entire listing of 200+ North American servers which support the United States and Australia, both almost entirely English speaking nations. So on a European server, I can see typos being a lot more common.
    People that generalise New Zealand as part of Australia also annoy me. North American realms primarily support United States, Australia and New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Radore View Post
    People that generalise New Zealand as part of Australia also annoy me. North American realms primarily support United States, Australia and New Zealand.
    I also forgot Canada on that list now that I look at it. To be honest with you, and I'm not saying this because of American stupidity or ignorance, I often forget that New Zealand exists and that there are a lot of WoW players there.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiegel View Post
    LF a black smith PST
    I'm a black man named Smith how can I be of service?

but in seriousness to the topic the who than/then drives me nuts

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a spelling error, just a misuse.

I hate "PST me"
    PST = Please send tell, "Please send tell me" makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Not a spelling error, just a misuse.

I hate "PST me"
    PST = Please send tell, "Please send tell me" makes no sense.
    I dont like it when people overuse words. Hate is a strong word, and i really dont think you hate it when people says pst me. Maybe you dislike it, but dont hate it. If you can have hate towards such a little thing in your life, your life must be miserable

10+ Year Old Account
    "Pally".

I know it's more of slang term than a spelling error and meant to make things quicker to type but for some reason it just doesn't feel right to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Same..

Mind = blown.
    At least we aren't alone <3
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3