Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Disney has actually been pretty solid so far with their handling of these properties, which is why I'm actually hopeful for the new Star Wars movies.
    Can't be worse than late Lucas anyway

I want a lion king mmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Because Disney has never made a bad movie?
    They totally have, but they've actually done a very good job with their recent batch of movies. The games...not so much, but I'm hoping the mindset they had with the Marvel movies they've made will translate over to their new properties from Lucas.

TOR has its down side no doubt about it. Like its trying to get every penny out of its user base. I actually know some people who spent over 100 dollars on cartel packs only to resell them for 300k each. Why someone needs that much money when you can buy best gear off the cartel market. I do not know. I worry the richest players will have the greater advantage.

The more packs they can buy and sell more credits they will have to buy anything they want on the GTN. However I actually did have fun after not logging in for weeks. It was refreshing. I mostly play for the class quest.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They totally have, but they've actually done a very good job with their recent batch of movies. The games...not so much, but I'm hoping the mindset they had with the Marvel movies they've made will translate over to their new properties from Lucas.

Like I said in a earlier post. ANYONE can do better than George Lucas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Disney is not dumb. Whenever someone hears "Disney" they think of Cinderella and Snow White which i get. But Disney is much more than that... They are a huge billion dollar company and believe me they know very well what they are doing. Their goal is to make money and what makes money? Good movies. All Disney does is pay the best of the best to make their extremely high profile movies. I'm not worried about the next star wars, i trust it will at least be good and maybe even amazing. If anything better than the Prequels. But thats not hard to do.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Few things here,

Yes Disney got the rights to the star wars franchise, not just the films, BUT EA had already purchased their own rights for making SWTOR, no amount of money can take that away, hell I'm pretty sure they would be free to make SWTOR mark 2 as a total reboot if they wanted to.

Next, Disney won't attempt a MMO game, hell do they do any serious film - game online already? I know they do on the consoles but a MMO? I'm pretty sure their isn't but I could be wrong,

which bring about my next point, could Disney as much as they do have huge sucess's with their animation film or other "real" films like Pirates, could they pull off a MMO or even a star wars MMO that could match up to SWTOR let alone better it.

What I think we all want, is to forget what ever revelation we found out about Revan in SWTOR, and EA / Bioware Go back to console and reboot the dammed third installment of the game and keep to their strengths, iirc they did a huge chunk of the game before it was scrapped

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Few things here,

Yes Disney got the rights to the star wars franchise, not just the films, BUT EA had already purchased their own rights for making SWTOR, no amount of money can take that away, hell I'm pretty sure they would be free to make SWTOR mark 2 as a total reboot if they wanted to.

Next, Disney won't attempt a MMO game, hell do they do any serious film - game online already? I know they do on the consoles but a MMO? I'm pretty sure their isn't but I could be wrong,

which bring about my next point, could Disney as much as they do have huge sucess's with their animation film or other "real" films like Pirates, could they pull off a MMO or even a star wars MMO that could match up to SWTOR let alone better it.

What I think we all want, is to forget what ever revelation we found out about Revan in SWTOR, and EA / Bioware Go back to console and reboot the dammed third installment of the game and keep to their strengths, iirc they did a huge chunk of the game before it was scrapped

You do know MMO's are a smaller market than console games right?

Deleted
    I actually don't think it's a good idea for new developers to come in at this point. The game has a foundation of sorts and needs to expand and maybe add a few more feautres. That's it. More of the same PLUS a few extra features. So much potential has been wasted but there's still time to turn it around imo.

Remember, according to all the polls the majority of people left due to a lack of endgame content. Not bugs, not because there's no SGR, not because the F2P model is a sham but because the endgame content was lacklustre. The empty servers were the big reason in the Spring of 2011 but if any of you actually still play then you know that 95% of the players are on busy servers these days.

TOR won't please everyone and that suits me fine. If they can appeal to the the ones who left due to a dearth in content then that should be sufficient. 'Sod the rest of them' i say . That and a handful of new features (minigames would do the trick) should help a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    Sad indeed, I really loved the game but with all these F2P restrictions and watered down content and the so called "expansion" that looks like a content patch.. I just can't see myself enjoying the game anymore. Blame EA, then again they're a "business" and money comes first so..
    It is like $10 hardly bank breaking, the fact that they are adding a new expansion is proof the game isn't 'dying'. Yes some of the F2P things are bad, but what would you suggest? they have todo something to make people subscribe.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 12:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    I am not of the business minded area but i have been thinking. With the purchase of Lucasarts Lock Stock and Barrel...... can they take a HUGE and i mean HUGE sledgehammer to EA and make them give up this game.

My dream is this as it goes. all the major players at the start have all gone..... maybe just maybe in my dream at least, they approach Disney about taking SWTOR away from EA and doing things their way the RIGHT way(minus a few things we all did not like full VO im aimed at you)

with the original teqam they can make the game to their designs and reinvent this AWESOME game and get all of us true believers the game we wanted.

I know this is just one huge pipe dream but im just wishin upon a star( lol pun intended) that they take this game from EA (dont know if possible) and bring us the Star Wars we love to play.

end of dream srry i just had to get this out im to inlove with this game and dont want to stop playing.
    Who would they give the game to? people seem to give EA hate but they are better than most of the other big companies.

Point and case is Battlefield series, the game gets good content community events and dedicated servers then look at CoD it gets a new game every year with just map packs added for stupid prices and after half a year they stop balancing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    You do know MMO's are a smaller market than console games right?
    Its more than just smaller.

The pc gaming community is smaller.
    The mmo community is infinitesimally small.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Its more than just smaller.

The pc gaming community is smaller.
    The mmo community is infinitesimally small.

It isn't infinitesimally small. There's 10 million people playing WoW alone. That's 1.8 billion dollars a year in revenue from subscriptions alone. That's almost double Call of Duty. WoW is probably the single most lucrative entertainment product in the world.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It isn't infinitesimally small. There's 10 million people playing WoW alone. That's 1.8 billion dollars a year in revenue from subscriptions alone. That's almost double Call of Duty.
    For the love of Bob, learn to understand maths and economics on the simplest level. For 2011 ActiBlizz digital revenues were $1.6 billion, that included WoW and Call of Duty. ~Half of the subscriptions are in China, they pay less than two bucks per month.

I swear I'm gonna copy this and just ctrl-c, ctrl-v it everytime somebody posts this garbage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    It isn't infinitesimally small. There's 10 million people playing WoW alone. That's 1.8 billion dollars a year in revenue from subscriptions alone. That's almost double Call of Duty. WoW is probably the single most lucrative entertainment product in the world.
    that's worldwide. MMORPG's have a much bigger following in Asia and Europe than they do in the states, where console gaming is king. Regardless, WoW is the only game doing this kind of business and any company developing an MMORPG that thinks they have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that kind of business is an imbecile. MMORPG's are a niche and WoW hot ot big by dumb luck alone.

It's fascinating that the "Disney only bought LucasFILM" failmeme is so unkillable. I was reading it within a day of the deal announcement; I'll probably still be reading it next fall. I like the ta-daaaa! finality with which people brandish it too.

One big difference between the Marvel and Pixar deals vs. the Lucas deal is that Marvel and Pixar got explicit guarantees of studio independence. Lucas very pointedly did not. Disney saw well-run synergistic partners in the first two studios. In Lucas they saw great brands and a management mess. They have the right to change things, and I fully expect them to do so.

There are two ways Disney could make this fiasco go away. One is to buy out their publishing contract with EA. The other is to buy EA itself, in part or in whole. This acquisition was hotly rumored in April. It may make less sense now, or it may make more sense.

One thing I do not think Disney will do is shutter this title before there's another one ready in the pipeline.

Still experimenting...

Deleted
    Two more aspects: the influence of Disney is limited in the same way the influence of Lucas was limited before. I haven't seen contract details anywhere, but it what was rumored that EA paid for the name, Lucas can veto story elements they don't like and they get a percentage of the revenue (30%?) after break even.

Secondly the average Pixar movie over the last 15 years grossed more than $550 million. If we assume 200.000 concurrent subscribers, we are talking about give or take $30 million revenue per year, if we assume 400.000 concurrent subscribers, it's still around 60 (and yes this math is correct). That's not negligible, but small fish for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Clattuc View Post
    It's fascinating that the "Disney only bought LucasFILM" failmeme is so unkillable. I was reading it within a day of the deal announcement; I'll probably still be reading it next fall. I like the ta-daaaa! finality with which people brandish it too.

One big difference between the Marvel and Pixar deals vs. the Lucas deal is that Marvel and Pixar got explicit guarantees of studio independence. Lucas very pointedly did not. Disney saw well-run synergistic partners in the first two studios. In Lucas they saw great brands and a management mess. They have the right to change things, and I fully expect them to do so.

There are two ways Disney could make this fiasco go away. One is to buy out their publishing contract with EA. The other is to buy EA itself, in part or in whole. This acquisition was hotly rumored in April. It may make less sense now, or it may make more sense.

One thing I do not think Disney will do is shutter this title before there's another one ready in the pipeline.
    They definitely won't shut it down if there isn't something else coming. Right now they are making money from it, and I'm assuming they probably had very little if anything invested into it. I'm sure the agreement wasn't cheap either.

Do you guys remember the awesome Avengers movie? And the pretty awesome Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and Hulk (sorta) movies? If my memory serves me, those are all technically Disney movies.

Disney has actually been pretty solid so far with their handling of these properties, which is why I'm actually hopeful for the new Star Wars movies.
    And yet when you talk to "Comic" Fans they are rather dissapointed by the movies.. heck they say "they" could make better movies/ knew better what would be "better".... . Some fans seem to believe that they could make a difference with knowing 1/100 and less of everything going on behind locked doors which would mean that no matter which developer... there always will be people unsatisfied with anything going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychlon View Post
    And yet when you talk to "Comic" Fans they are rather dissapointed by the movies.. heck they say "they" could make better movies/ knew better what would be "better".... . Some fans seem to believe that they could make a difference with knowing 1/100 and less of everything going on behind locked doors which would mean that no matter which developer... there always will be people unsatisfied with anything going on.
    I don't get what you're trying to say here...

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I am yet to have someone explain to me how control over the Star Wars IP wouldn't extend to swtor...

The best reasoning I've heard is that EA has swtor until their contact is up for renewal, much like how SOE had to renew for SWG and couldn't come to a deal so they lost it.
    I knew somebody who was the project lead on a Star Wars video game (he'll remain anonymous for his sake) and the one thing he told me was that Lucasfilm constantly looked over their shoulder and nitpicked every single harry detail and made constant gameplay decisions (mostly relating to races, locations, presentation and dialogue). His exact quote to me in response to this was "I was so fed up with them I was actually about to take my entire Star Wars collection, melt it down, and mail it in a box back to Lucas!"

So... in THEORY they could...

But you have to consider that they (EA/Lucasfilm) made this deal waaaay before the Disney deal was brokered. I mean, even FOX still retains the distribution rights to the previous movies.