mobo fried i guess? need help on replacement

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131399 mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115057 cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817822004 psu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371016 new psu

that is the mobo in question. friend turns on computer, it runs (fans/hdd/mobo light is on) but nothing displays. have tried removing a set of ram and using the other (there are 2). Have removed the gpu and tried just the mobo vga port, didnt work either. the old power supply did not turn on the mobo light so friend purchased that newer psu, is it possible the new psu is not compatible? not even sure which part is not working, but willing to buy new mobo to just try it out.

soooooooo, what would be a good motherboard to purchase from newegg? there is also a soundcard installed. just one hdd, and the cd drive along w/ the gfx card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Probably a poor choice, since that board doesn't even support his CPU. At all.

Unfortunately, you're in a bit of a bind. You have a fairly high end CPU for that socket type, and that socket type has long been out of manufacture. Not only that, but most boards that support the S775 factor don't support that chip. You need specifically a G41/43 chipset. Selections are limited.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157242

That might be good for testing purposes, not a terrible board, either. It's almost the only one from newegg that isn't a janky brand like Biostar or Jetway.

Can you explain the situation a bit more? Is this a system you just got. Was it running before? Did it just randomly stop? Was something changed?
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-02 at 08:04 AM.

Did he tried to reset motherboard's bios? And also disconnect everything from it, like hdds, usb devices etc.
    Any pc-speaker sounds from mb? Like 1-beep normal booting or any kind of another?
    Try a new videocard.

The motherboard itself is not bad. I would not choose a motherboard with integrated video if I was going to use the real videocard with it though.
    Asrock is generally a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Did he tried to reset motherboard's bios? And also disconnect everything from it, like hdds, usb devices etc.
    Any pc-speaker sounds from mb? Like 1-beep normal booting or any kind of another?
    Try a new videocard.

The motherboard itself is not bad. I would not choose a motherboard with integrated video if I was going to use the real videocard with it though.
    Asrock is generally a bad choice.
    I would agree that ASRock is generally a bad choice. However, their newer boards has been quite decent in both performance and quality so if he is going to replace his CPU I would have no problems recommending ASRock for that. For old 775 socket, I am inclined to agree with you. It's a bad choice and a huge waste of money. Your CPU is due for replacement man, it's been 7 years, your MB is most likely dead. This is when you upgrade to new tech, you don't replace the old parts with old tech.

Say what your budget is and I'm sure you will get help finding a build that suits you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people keep saying Asrock is a bad choice. But I should point out that with a system that age and specification... There literally aren't any other choices on Newegg besides that, and an Intel board (Which is also a perfectly good choice, I guess). So say Asrock isn't a great choice, but it's either that, Intel, or a potato.

While a new system may be in order, if the old system was working fine until just now, $50 seems worth it to fix it. If your 1980 car breaks down and needs $300 to fix completely, do you fix it, or do you go buy a completely different $6000 car?

New Computer shopping for you, that CPU is really ancient...

Comparison to the car is kinda meh since we are talking about pocket change costs for a new MB or a new CPU+MB anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Comparison to the car is kinda meh since we are talking about pocket change costs for a new MB or a new CPU+MB anyway.
    $50 fix vs $300-500 upgrade is a pretty significant difference.

For me (and I imagine a lot of people), 50 bucks I can just toss out whenever. 300-500 I would have to budget for.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Can you explain the situation a bit more? Is this a system you just got. Was it running before? Did it just randomly stop? Was something changed?
    the system randomly just stopped working. nothing changed at all, the computer some years old. it was custom built awhile ago. the system has 2 beeps, not long ones. couldnt find out what the bios was so i didnt know what the code meant. friend is cheap and doesnt really want to buy a lot of stuff he prefers to just buy 1 or 2 parts and call it a day.

The Q8400 wasn't a high end yorkfield 45nm processor by any means. It was more of a budget quad core with low cache. The Q9XXX line was the high end for Quads. For dual cores, the E8XXX was the high end. If you're buying a new MB, you're going to be pretty limited in selection, as most vendors only have G41 chipset boards available these days if any.

2 short beeps on AMI Bios usually indicates failed DRAM parity check. For Award it's usually a CMOS error. I would start by pulling the CMOS battery for a good 30s, and then replacing it. You can also reset the BIOS using the CMOS jumper as well. Remove the ram, and try booting the system with only 1 stick installed. Make sure the contacts are clean and the sockets are clear of anything that might interfere with making a clean connection.

Inspect the board for ruptured capacitors, especially near the DRAM area. Ruptured caps will look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post

2 short beeps on AMI Bios usually indicates failed DRAM parity check. For Award it's usually a CMOS error. I would start by pulling the CMOS battery for a good 30s, and then replacing it. You can also reset the BIOS using the CMOS jumper as well. Remove the ram, and try booting the system with only 1 stick installed. Make sure the contacts are clean and the sockets are clear of anything that might interfere with making a clean connection.

Inspect the board for ruptured capacitors, especially near the DRAM area. Ruptured caps will look like this:
    tried removing cmos+tried taking out a stick of ram at a time, didnt help. will look at the mobo for any signs of anything.

I mean, just trying to save as much money as possible as per the car comparison. Would be down to buy multiple parts as long as cost is cheap around $50-$200