Rebirth of the Shadow Council

While warlocks aren't the type to go for happy funtime groups and tend to be loners, there has been an ever-present lack of a strong warlock organization and heroes for as long as I can remember. Even during the expansion where we reigned as the all-powerful overlords and we were in our element the only present groups were on the other side. Not since the glorious days of the Shadow Council have we been a force to be reckoned with.

Now with the coming of 5.2 and our quest for the green flame there are rumors of a return to our former seat of power, the Black Temple. During the beta you may also recall the release of a grimoire detailing a clandestine meeting of our kind to return to the grounds of previous conquests in search of fel power. There is also the coming conflict between Dalaran, which has chosen to drop its neutrality to side with the Alliance, and the Sunreavers. Although the Sunreavers may be formidable, I believe they would be outmatched by a seasoned order that no doubt at least outstrips it in number. Garrosh is no doubt in need of another ally in his search for old and forbidden power.

This seems like the perfect opportunity for a ressurection of an ancient order ruled by warlocks, the Shadow Council. Where once we were subservient to demons, we will use them to further our cause and fuel our power. We will rip out the very souls of our enemies and use it against their loved ones. But let us not be the villains of an expansion, to be forgotten once the dust has settled, but a stable and feared existence that will continue to scheme from the shadows, always in search of forbidden and dangerous power that the lesser fear to touch.

Honestly I'm just tired of being ordered around by mages, druids and shamans while not having a class consciousness to call our own. It's our time. The thought occurred to me that if we're ever going to have a warlock group the time has to be now, while Thrall is out of the picture and Garrosh is lusting for power. We don't know who comes next but they likely won't be as amenable to the idea. Even if Thrall returns getting rid of us could easily become "complicated". As for the Alliance I just don't see them being open to a warlock organization having any more power than a high school glee club.
    When Dalaran is ashes, mage, you have my permission to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your post got caught in the spam filter. Fixed now.

Thanks, sorry I probably ended up with a few submissions thinking it was from my end.

why do we need a shadow council when we have the council of black harvest?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Council_of_the_Black_Harvest
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    why do we need a shadow council when we have the council of black harvest?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Council_of_the_Black_Harvest
    As I understood it the Council of Black Harvest is a group of 6 warlocks who sought to expand our demonic knowledge. I thought of them, even mentioned them in the second paragraph, but this was more a group of individuals banding together rather than an organization. The scales between the two councils isn't comparable, besides the fact that the Shadow Council has a rich history and significance.

The Shadow Council still exists and works for the burning legion, just as it always has.

Some ppl take this game too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Docmort View Post
    Honestly I'm just tired of being ordered around by mages, druids and shamans while not having a class consciousness to call our own. It's our time.
    FUCK YEA !! time to reform the shadow council and claim it as our own, take it away from the legion and FIX IT !

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    yes sometimes, but its only because we realllllly love it : D

cool sig btw
    Last edited by A Dark Knight; 2013-01-02 at 04:14 PM.
    Be feared, or be fuel

I think it would be cool having some sort of warlock organisation building up for another demon expansion (we should have another one since the burning legion still ain't daed ) just because we have more knowledge surrounding the demon world 'n all that.

And at the end we try to take over Azeroth by enslaving the demons from the legion after we defeated it, just for the heck it.

(& then we kill all the mages nuahahaha )

The Shadow Council has always been bad, what you mean is exactly what is happening (if you read the book next to the warlock trainers that was added) and will happen in 5.2. The Council of the Black Harvest will have a say in the events that are to come, either at the end of this Expansion or in the next where the Burning Legion will be featured. The quest lead designer stated that Illidan will be back for that (if not sooner), so I wouldn't be surprised if our actions in the Black Temple won't have an effect on Illidan's resurrection, maybe that's what the human & forsaken warlocks of the Council are planning to do! That would be bad awesome! Imagine that!

10+ Year Old Account
    Shefu i never saw the illidan confirmation but i am going to believe you on it and tell you the idea you have is quite awesome. Imagine us, as warlocks, trying to summon a powerful demon or trying a spell to become more powerful but since it is unstable fel magic it resurrects illidan. I imagine he would not be terribly happy.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by viciouss View Post
    Shefu i never saw the illidan confirmation but i am going to believe you on it and tell you the idea you have is quite awesome. Imagine us, as warlocks, trying to summon a powerful demon or trying a spell to become more powerful but since it is unstable fel magic it resurrects illidan. I imagine he would not be terribly happy.
    These guys have a radio show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPF5kGZ7mQM) and they had a 20 min Q/A over the phone with Dave Kosak (quest lead designer) and he confirmed it. (I got this link btw from another thread on this forum!) I just put the pieces together. The new warlock book by the trainers is about this new Council and the conversation between its members. They all split intro 3 groups to go find powerful artifacts, 2 of them go back to the black temple. That's where the new lock quest will be. Now, the next expansion is more or less confirmed to be about the Burning Legion, they're finally adding Turalyon (and Aleria) to the game, and they're gonna help us deal with that + Illidan will be somehow involved with that. I guess he'll finally get his redemption, or maybe another betrayal? Who know's!? But considering the Council's plans to become the most powerful entity in Azeroth, they might be scheming to ressurect Illidan, and maybe that's how (Blizzard) is bringing him back. To say this would be epic, it would be an understatement.

That's my 2 cents anyways, but people thought I was crazy when I was telling them locks would get demon form at some point back in TBC too /shrug
    Last edited by Shefu; 2013-01-02 at 09:47 PM. Reason: forgot link

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
    snip
    this just reads awesome, i´m a very excited warlock now
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    In most societies, the practice of warlock magics is not only forbidden, but also a sentence to death for the practitioners. And it's easy to see why. Humans were involved in two bloody conflicts with the orcs and their demon magics, which devastated much of their society. The elves almost destroyed the world because of their reckless use of arcane and fel magics. Orcs didn't react much different to the demonic influences. They saw their shamanistic roots and ways of life almost replaced by the Shadow Council and their warlocks.

True, there are factions that regard warlocks with high esteem, such as the forsaken and the Blood Elves, but they are small exceptions.

In recent times, we have seen both the Alliance and the Horde take a more liberal approach to warlocks. They understand the power that fel magics can bring to the battlefield and neither Varian, nor Garrosh are willing to pass down tactical advantages. BUT the foundation of a warlock faction (organization, group, guild) must be planted on neutral grounds. Why?

1. Warlocks desire power over everything else
    2. The Council of the Black Harvest and The Shadow Council has seen warlocks from different races band together to achieve their goals
    3. Warlocks are now tools in the hands of both the alliance and the horde to be used in a war. What will happen after the war? Will society give their warlocks a hero's welcome, respect them for their efforts on the battlefield and shower them in gold?
    4. In the past, numerous organizations have opened their doors to members from both factions (The Cenarion Circle, The Argent Dawn and the Argent Crusade, The Knights of the Ebon Blade) as long as they were willing to work towards common goals.

The only large faction of warlocks in existence is the Shadow Council. But along with its various splinter groups (like the Argus Wake and Burning Blade clan), the council serves the Burning Legions. Warlocks have always believed in the idea of controlling the demonic influences so they won't become agents, puppets of the Legion.
    Independence-Control-Power

The more I think about the lore and motivation behind a grand warlock organization, the more I feel like the introduction of a faction for each class might seem a good idea. Membership quests, cosmetic rewards (gear and gimmicks like green fire), story progression, they all could be interesting additions to the game.

I always loved the underground-ness of locks, I'll never forget trying to find the warlock trainer in Stormwind, being confused by the flag of the map, nothing in that inn, until I realized they're hiding out in the basement.

But that does not mean warlocks shouldn't be more organized! In fact, our organization could be dual-factioned, much like Dalaran was. We'd be feared, but tolerated because neither horde nor alliance has a choice, and our services would be called upon every now and then - reluctantly, but they would! We would owe no allegiance to anyone: every warlock is their individual self, free to choose where he extends his services - but with an organization to back and protect him, and an organization to further and reassure the existance of our chosen paths. A place to unite research and discoveries, too, a place that backs existing powers.. but not for free. We'd not be a charity. No more suppression - we have been invaluable, and it is time for us to become a more prominent factor!

I love it. I want it. Give it. Like the DK citadel, a place to return to, a place I know is my 'home'.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2013-01-03 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I always loved the underground-ness of locks, I'll never forget trying to find the warlock trainer in Stormwind, being confused by the flag of the map, nothing in that inn, until I realized they're hiding out in the basement.

But that does not mean warlocks shouldn't be more organized! In fact, our organization could be dual-factioned, much like Dalaran was. We'd be feared, but tolerated because neither horde nor alliance has a choice, and our services would be called upon every now and then - reluctantly, but they would! We would owe no allegiance to anyone: every warlock is their individual self, free to choose where he extends his services - but with an organization to back and protect him, and an organization to further and reassure the existance of our chosen paths. A place to unite research and discoveries, too, a place that backs existing powers.. but not for free. We'd not be a charity. No more suppression - we have been invaluable, and it is time for us to become a more prominent factor!

I love it. I want it. Give it. Like the DK citadel, a place to return to, a place I know is my 'home'.
    would teleporting too it require the help of 2 other people tho ? :P

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Yeah, and "Once a warlock, always a warlock" doesn't make it seem like you're too serious about the game or anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    My sentiment exactly, though it ends there - I don't think warlocks really need an organisation.

They're the class equivalent of Forsaken - the playable badguy. I kinda liked how any warlock related activity tended to be a lone warlock off doing their own thing, eking out what personal gain they can in the background while the shaman and druids go about saving the world.

The feeling I always got was that any visible focalpoint of warlockery wouldn't just be left alone by the bigger factions, because sooner or later it's going to be trouble.