graphics card help

as advised im creating a thread.

question is, as far as i can tell nvidia is better suited to my needs. i run on 1 monitor at 1920 x 1080 and play alot of physX enabled games. benchmarks dont seem to be helping me decide, would a 660ti run bf3 and othrr demanding games on ultra? would a 670? or do i need a 680? the price difference between the 680 and 7970 is silly. id save over £100 if i went for the 7970. which springs up another question, would a 7970 run the same games on ultra? im going to totally ignore any fanboyism. if you claim ones better than the other then explain why! i need fact not opinion. multi monitor is simply not going to happen which makes eyefinity claims obselete. sli/crossfire is a possibility in the future.

sorry for any typos posting this on my s3. really difficult to type and edit text on hete

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    What does the rest of your system look like?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ance,2968.html

That pretty much spells it out. BF3, 1920x1080, High settings. FPS per card.

I believe that AMD with the latest "Never Settle" driver caught up to Nvidia in games like BF3.
    The small performance gain going from a GTX670 or HD7970 to a GTX680 is not worth the quite large price increase.
    I would say that any of GTX660ti, GTX670, HD7950 or HD7970 will give you the performance you are looking for, it is pretty much down to personal taste of brand(drivers) and how much money you want to spend.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    what nocturnal said thou atm if you can get two 7850 for 170 each that would kill a 660ti.

Deleted
    got a budget? personally i'd see if waiting for next gen is an option, if not wether or not you want to go the high end route.

not really a budget as i will save for it. just not duel gpu cards or il be saving for a year i have a 6850 that ive oced atm. im not limited at all. i can run any game fine just not on the prefered settings i dont mind waiting for next gen depending when that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    not really a budget as i will save for it. just not duel gpu cards or il be saving for a year i have a 6850 that ive oced atm. im not limited at all. i can run any game fine just not on the prefered settings i dont mind waiting for next gen depending when that is.
    rumor is <6 months for 7xx from nvidia likely very high performance gain if you got the money for it :P

Is that for all the 7xx series or will it be staggered release? ie; will the 780 be included in those <6 months?

I do need one thing clarified though, in comparison, does a 7970 = 680? or the 670? the price would suggest not for the 680, but people claim that's the way it is. If the difference in performance is minimal, yet Nvidia want an extra £100 off me, then my mind is made on what GPU provider I shall use now, and most likely for the rest of time lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Is that for all the 7xx series or will it be staggered release? ie; will the 780 be included in those <6 months?

I do need one thing clarified though, in comparison, does a 7970 = 680? or the 670? the price would suggest not for the 680, but people claim that's the way it is. If the difference in performance is minimal, yet Nvidia want an extra £100 off me, then my mind is made on what GPU provider I shall use now, and most likely for the rest of time lol.
    unknown for know but likely staged release. (770/780 first)
    as for price/performance , ATI is usually more budget orientated.
    however most nvidia people find the extra price worth it for performance. (or have terrible drivers nightmares that still haunt people to this very day? xD)
    a normal 7970 is +- a 670 depending on how both cards are clocked.
    best way to find out what card would suit you best is by benchmarks and looking at the games you play which performs good enough.
    prices can suggest many things but card hierachy is usually determined by performance instead of flat out matching numbers because it never makes a clear line-up so to speak.

i play bf3, far cry3, arma2 and wow. ive maxed wow already even with aa, hardly demanding is it? so i know any of the cards mentioned will do the same. the only notable game in the future would be gta5. will also be playing arma3 when its out. i just dont trust benchmarks. i believe some are doctored or biased. ive looked at several different benchmarks and they all say something else is better. for example one benchmark said the 7970 is better than the 680... after dlearning the 7970 is on par so to speak with the 670, i know thats imposaible.

---------- Post added 2013-01-03 at 11:00 AM ----------

just discovered another problem, my mobo doesnt support sli, sli requires a minimum of 8x in the second lane. my mobo is 4x which brings another question. amd with the option of crossfire in the future or nvidia with one card. bassicly, 2x 7970 or one 670 followed by a upgrade to 770/870 in a couple years?
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-01-03 at 11:02 AM.