Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Ethereals maybe as a neutral race, but even then, it would be a problematic to "strap" armor on them, since in the end you'll get a floating suit of armor with a glowing head. High Elves are already a part of alliance since cata, chances of being made in to separate race are very slim. Jinyu and Hozen do make since, but Hozen would be a problem, considering that their "speaking skills" are below even thous of trolls. Sporeloks, Quilboar and Gnolls are a bit too wild, not to mention Sporeloks will have similar problem as Ethereals. Kobolds are in the same place as Murlocks, too famous and too silly to be added as a race. Mo'arg and Satyr are full out demonic reshaped races, there's no way they would go against Burning Legion, unless they wanna make a race that has identical story to either Forsaken or Draenei. And Satyr are ex Highborne, story just too similar, I very much doubt they'll have a good reception from players.

That leaves Ogres, Tuskarr, Dragonkin and Furbolgs. Tuskarr are a good option, but they were pretty much ignored ever since release of wotlk, will just be awkward to bring them in out of the blue. Ogres and Furbolgs both have some lore reasons to join up, but have similar problems as Gnolls and such, especially considering the reasons and conditions under which they allied themselves with "major" races before - Ogres were pretty much forced to join the old Horde, and no one liked them, they were only tolerated cause of war. Forbolgs only joined nelfs after some persuasion from a demigod and only cause they needed any help they could get to deal with Burning Legion. It goes without saying they were not really liked as well.

Dragonkin? Well, it's a maybe. Especially after the events in the DS raid, since they are no longer guardians per say, I would not be surprised to see some of the younger folk seek out their destiny among mortals. The problem here is which model do they go with? A normal drake? Unlikely, too much of a beast, will not fit in to mounts and stuff. A Dragonspawn? Also hard to fit, considering 4 legs, but at least you can add armor. Drakonid? This has potential, but will have to be kinda massive, way bigger then Tauren are. Or even a Dragonman? Not a dragon originally, very few examples in the game, unlikely.

Or maybe a mortal form, like Krasus was forced to take in the trilogy? You choose your aspect, which will determine your "mortal race" and general colors... And there will have to be some kinda of "true form" option, like a mount or so. But then how does one argument their inability to fight while in dragon form (since they cannot be allowed to turn in to dragon in-combat, taking up the whole freaked room, nor can they be allowed to attack in mount form, for balance reasons) and would generally take away big part of the race identity.
    I agree, but not completely, Ogres are intelligent, for example: looks the Ogri'la ogres, they even said that for some reason their people stopped thinking rationaly, and became brutes but that's not their nature...

Also most of the races that are quite.... "silly" can get some help from Goblins, i mean... they were even more primitive than the Trolls and with an ore named kajamite they became intelligent, so they can do the same with others races that join the Horde to make them more valuable allies, also if you ever played a goblin you should remenber the mine that inteligents monkeys are mining to get kajamite, so Blizzard can use these idea to add one new races, at least to the Horde

Given that the Pandaren started neutral and were allowed to choose between the factions at Level 10 and combining that with the storyline in Mists, there's a good chance that we will be seeing more choices along those lines as the game progresses.

It would not surprise me if some of the races that exist now in the game were allowed to choose their faction eventually considering the storylines of the Dwarves and Tauren. I think if that were to occur, then all races would be given the opportunity to choose their faction. Don't know if that will happen, but it would really shake things up.

In any case, I believe that offering one new race per expansion that is allowed to eventually choose their faction is a good move.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 04:33 PM ----------

I wouldn't mind, though, seeing Centaurs offered. That could be fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Butcher View Post
    Horde / Alliance

Ogre / Furblog
    Hozen / Jinyu
    Naga / Harpy
    I'd be okay with that. And maybe High Elf (Alliance) Eredar (Horde).

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Looks like Blizzard already let faction leaders roll on them and Sylvannas won.
    Yes, I don't understand why people think that Vrykul would be Alliance.

I wish we could play with dragons. You would have your "race of your choice" form and shapeshift like worgens do. I really wish that, more after reading Tides of War.

Deleted
    i can imagine ogres (they will we playable, i am 100% sure), high elves (would be boring though), furbolgs, nagas and maybe centaurs (in war with the horde/especially tauren, but maybe blizzard invents new lore) as playable races. most others don't fit cause of various reasons mentioned already. tuskarrs, well, they are kinda ugly and rather boring - i dont think anyone would like to play them. i also dont think that we will be able to play ethereals or arokka.

Saurok for Horde
    Vrykul for Alliance

When I thought about a potential Emerald Dream expansion back in the day, I always wanted the Green dragonflight (or dragonkin) join the Alliance and have Satyrs join the Horde.

The Dragonkin would be servants of the Green dragonflight, mortals who were gifted with special powers by the Greens to serve in the Emerald dream, but now they've awaken to help the other mortal races fight against new threats. They'd look like humans/elves with subtle draconic features and a slight green glow to their skin. The dragonkin in game right now are the same kind of servants, but they've evolved to look more like dragons than human. This group of servants have been asleep for generations and look more like their original race, much more humanoid. Why the Alliance? Their close ties to the Night Elves.

The Satyrs would have a similar backstory to the Blood Elves. A small group of Satyrs have 'awakened' from their corruption, seek to cure themselves of demonic influence. They try to appeal to the Night Elves, but are met with animosity, so they turn to the Horde, who happen to share a common thread with redemption. These satyrs would look less primal than the satyr in game right now, having fairer skin and less shaggy hair. Visually they'd be a mix of Tauren and Draenei, but slim and tall like Elves.

The common theme is Half-Dragons and Half-Demons being added to Alliance and Horde, adding a bit more 'good vs evil'.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-01-11 at 06:44 PM.

Cheetahmen for horde, and Eagledudes for Alliance. I'm really going out of the box with this one.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    I agree, but not completely, Ogres are intelligent, for example: looks the Ogri'la ogres, they even said that for some reason their people stopped thinking rationaly, and became brutes but that's not their nature...
    Other way around.

Ogres typically have a lesser degree of intelligence than other humanoids...but there are exceptions. Further, two headed Ogres are incredibly intelligent. The Ogrila Ogres are noteworthy because something about Ogrila makes them smart.

Goblins are in the same position...except their intelligence is due to kajamite

EJL

I would say Orges for Horde and High Elves for Alliance. Maybe Ethereals that start of neutral like the Pandarian did. Personally I would love High Elf or Ethereal. I would race/faction change my Blood Elf so fast to either one of those.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2013-01-11 at 09:10 PM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyprime View Post
    I would say Orges for Horde and High Elves for Alliance. Maybe Ethereals that start of neutral like the Pandarian did. Personally I would love High Elf or Ethereal. I would race/faction change my Blood Elf so fast to either one of those.
    No - HElfs would be very possible for the Alliance, but they would need to be paired with the Horde getting an Alliance race or an Alliance race going neutral. Why? Because the HElfs are a redone model and while many Alliance players would want to play one, you can't give one faction a rehash and another something totally new.

Ogres are a good bet for the Horde, however.
    The Ethereals would make a very good fit for the Alliance - however, there are issues with armor and look but they would give the Alliance someone shady and sneaky and who they can't fully count on. As Horde, they'd provide knowledge of the universe to match the Draeneis.
    Naga would fit either faction depending on the backstory (Kul Tiras cursed into Nagahood?) but have issues with mounts.
    Arrakoa would fit either faction depending on the backstory.
    Vrykul would fit either faction depending on the backstory.
    Jinyu would make a good Alliance race.
    Hozen......could fit either. They are Horde allies but the Alliance appear to be on good terms with their "King". Skeletal issues may prohibit it.
    Taunka would be a good sub race for tauren. As would Yaungol.
    Tol'vir and centaur have issues due to four legs.
    Mecha/Frost/Leper/Jungle/Sand Gnomes.....sub race for Gnomes
    Earthen/Dark Iron/ Iron/Wildhammer/Frost - subraces for Dwarves
    Saurok would work with the Horde.
    Furbolg - sub race for Pandaren?
    Drakonid - Alliance (Horde have ticked off the Blues, Greens and Reds)

Various demonic races - would work best as a third faction.
    Various Undead races - would work best as a fourth faction of sub races for the Forsaken.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Gief ethereals.

As far as what would fit well with WoW lore, I suppose Naga would go well with a N'zoth / Azshara expansion, while ethereals would probably go great with a Legion expansion of some sort.

I would rather see new character models then a new race, but as the new race's i would love to see the Arokka or something new and exciting from Argus.

Deleted
    ^this, we get a partwise revamp for outlands, giving us the first 2-3 levels, before we get through to a portal to argus to destroy the legion stronghold. On the way there we free some alien slaveraces, which then join alliance and horde

would be awesome! :O

edit: or probably no revamp, but some phasing in outlands giving some opening event, leading us to argus, or some other legion infested planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seen some great ideas here. but also some less great ideas. val'kyrs are angels of war. and there arent many of them if i remember correct. also i think sylvanas is the only one who would accept them. and for the four legged races. that might have been cool in vanilla but with flying mounts it just wont work. now as most people say. ogres are obviously for the horde. there are already some clans working with the horde. and they are not pretty or very smart. but its the horde we are talking about. we dont wear fancy suits and drink tea. And if lore allows Nagas to join alliance then i cant see why they cant be playable. for the legs and boots they simply make them skirts or make them sit tight around the tail. and the boots become rings at the end of the tail. and for the females with 4 arms. upper arms for melee animation and lower arms for casting animations. sitting/mounts. simply make them sit alittle sideways so the tail hang on either the left or the right side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Why don't they make sense? Because you don't want to? Neither did worgen before Cataclysm, they were savage beasts from another dimension.
    And looking at that list, actually 90% make sense.
    Worgen were created when Night Elf druids attempted to learn the wolf form, but their minds were overcome by the wolfs ferocity and they went wild. Malfurion captured them all and deposited them in the Emerald Dream in a magical sleep until a possible cure could be found. When the Emerald Nightmare started, the sleeping worgen were released.

Or at least, that's about as much as I could read while trying to get through Wolfheart as fast as possible because it BURNED!!!!!!!! It was so baaaaaad! /scarred

Quote Originally Posted by Elynis View Post
    Worgen were created when Night Elf druids attempted to learn the wolf form, but their minds were overcome by the wolfs ferocity and they went wild. Malfurion captured them all and deposited them in the Emerald Dream in a magical sleep until a possible cure could be found. When the Emerald Nightmare started, the sleeping worgen were released.
    Isn't that the lore created to justify the worgen being playable?

Quote Originally Posted by Elynis View Post
    Or at least, that's about as much as I could read while trying to get through Wolfheart as fast as possible because it BURNED!!!!!!!! It was so baaaaaad! /scarred
    Knaak book, then? Haven't read any of the warcraft novels, but I've certainly heard about how bad his stuff is.

Why are people speculating races that hate all the "lesser" races?

Arrakoa? They tried to summon an Old God, and those who are good are allied to Shattrath. They've no reason to deviate.
    Naga? Hate eevrything that isn't Naga or allied to Azshara.
    Harpies? Probably the same as Naga.

Some of the more senible ones are;

Ethereal? Basically Outland's Goblins; they could very well join a faction or choose at level 10.
    Ogres? Some Ogres are allied with the Mok'Nathal Clan under Rexxar, a Champion of the Horde. They were also recruitable in the WC3 campaigns for Horde, so an easy Horde race.
    High Elves? I can understand for being an Alliance race but will they simply be blue-eyed Belfs? Same Racials? What about starting zone?

Is this a 'could' or 'do'? Because if I could add a new race to the game, I wouldn't. The game already has plenty of neglected races (what up draenei/worgen).

If I absolutely have to add a race to each faction, I'd make Draenei and Blood Elf neutral go-either-way races like Pandaren are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arridor View Post
    There is a difference between "it doesn't fit logically" and "I don't like it". You're thinking of the latter.

Storywise, Worgen joining the Alliance make sense. Goblins joining the Horde made sense long before that. It's Draenei and Blood Elves' reasons to join their respective factions that are rather iffy. Sure, blood elves had Sylvanas "invite" them, but then draenei joined because... they have nothing in common with the faction but similar religion shared with one of the races. It's like Morocco joining NATO because they're Muslims and the French are Christians.

Gameplay wise, in all of those expansions a new race was always a fresh addition. If that depended on me, we'd have like four new races every expansion, just to have a lot of variety.

Now, personally, I think prime candidates would be three races. Ogres for Horde and neutral Ethereals as player favourites, while Alliance would get Arakkoa as a counter-point to Ogres.
    taking ur advice given in ur first statement I say I like Arakkoa for alliance and Ogres for Horde and they would, at least to my understanding, make sense lorewise. However, Ethereals... hmm it's hard to imagine how much more different or how much more distinguishing could they be made in order for at least me to find them interesting. I mean, they are just gas bodies covered in paper -_^