Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    So, the Bible contains violent things, I wonder what the reaction of the townsfolk would be if someone threw a Bible into there.
    Throw in Darwin's On The Origins of Species as well, just to be safe.

Would they accept books as well? I know a good few(both new and classic literature) that have at least as much violent content as a lot of Games and Movies.

Yeah, book burning. That is a symbolic gesture that has no bad connotations whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by Guilu View Post
    Throw in Darwin's On The Origins of Species as well, just to be safe.
    Come on... Can you really compare this.to old school book burnings? You want to burn guns but not things that promote.said violence. Its not educational stuff they are burning like they used to. Kind of hypocritical to say this stuff has absolutely no effect on society but but guns are the most vile things ever. You sound like idiots. Some mentally ill are sussecptable to this.stuff but there are no studies. Its no studies have been done because you liberals would lose your most beloved right to idiotic speach.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Shh, talking like that about religion is forbidden, someone might get offended their imaginary friend is mis-spoken about.
    Why are non religious people always the first to bring up religion? Stop it. Shoo shoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeus9 View Post
    Quickly, grab your pitchforks and torches! Some witch has been seen near the hill!
    and i think i saw a succubus over in them there trees. BURN IT!

Violent video games books and movies? okay, allow me to throw in:
    the bible, caused many deaths throughout history.
    twilight, the violence insued by raving females have caused many men to blow their own brains out.
    And E.T, causing many dollars to be wasted to a travesty of a video game.
    i coulda been more clever, sorry not feeling great today

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Acessability. That's how I feel on the matter of Gun control.

THAT IS ALL
    Way to be ambiguous. If you're advocating tighter restriction on their availability, all of it goes right out the window if someone kills you and takes your gun. Are you suggesting gun owners walk around in a full suit of armor to protect themselves against would-be robbers so they don't have their guns taken from them after they've been killed? Or are you suggesting that guns be only available to the police and military, as if they're somehow immune from wrong-doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vESIVemfG8

This dude stole a TANK from a National Guard armory. Do you think one or two rifles would be more difficult? Even then, how would you suggest dealing with all of the weapons already out there? Ask people to turn them in? Demand it? Would you be able to find enough people, who'd essentially be lining themselves up like cattle for the slaughterhouse, to try to enforce those demands? Most common hunting calibers can penetrate body armor. Plus, what would happen if a large number of the military defected? 43% of the total recruits for the US military came from the South in 2007. Something to chew on.

http://www.heritage.org/static/repor...C953ED3854.gif

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    An insane man with a car will do more damage with the car than the gun, especially if he's in a metropolitan area. What would happen if you plowed though a crosswalk at say, 8 AM in New York City? There's a pretty good chance that you'd kill a similar number of people, or more if you're using a large vehicle like an F-250 or similar. It's not the gun's fault, nor is it the availability of them. He obtained his weapons illegally. It's purely the fault of an inadequate system. Even then, none of the weapons he used were automatic. Automatic weapons are incredibly expensive for the average person and there's a pretty hefty amount of red tape you have to go through to obtain one legally.

You compare cars to guns. Can you even make the difference between the purpose of these two objects? You can't even stop a guy crashing in a crowd, so how do guns come into this?

Sure someone could hit people with a car. You think that's not enough and we need even more cases? Hell, by that logic we can give tanks to people as well. Give them rocket launchers, there is no difference since you can kill as much people with a car.
    Last edited by mmoc0f233d9eb1; 2013-01-03 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raintola that's how I feel on the matter I'm not going to discuss Gun Control since there's another thread for that. Sheez...
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Waaaaait a second...

This is actually a good thing.

Someone organize getting on board with this. Be sure you're in charge of "snapping and incinerating" the games, then let us know the haul so we can make requests. >_>

Deleted
    Warning: Discussing religion and bashing it isn't allowed, so let's keep it out of the discussion.

And there are several threads discussing guns already, use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    An insane man with a car will do more damage with the car than the gun, especially if he's in a metropolitan area. What would happen if you plowed though a crosswalk at say, 8 AM in New York City? There's a pretty good chance that you'd kill a similar number of people, or more if you're using a large vehicle like an F-250 or similar. It's not the gun's fault, nor is it the availability of them. He obtained his weapons illegally. It's purely the fault of an inadequate system. Even then, none of the weapons he used were automatic. Automatic weapons are incredibly expensive for the average person and there's a pretty hefty amount of red tape you have to go through to obtain one legally.
    Considering traffic in real life cities, someone crazy with a car will not even get through one block, forget rushhour, even regular time traffic will keep him blocked. I am not sure what you are saying about automatic weapon is truth, as assult rifles saw rise in sale just after the shooting incident. The sale would have taken months if they are expensive or hard to get. Gun shows don't have the red tape. Not all state have the same red tape. Right now, our gun laws are patchwork, some are strong depending on state, others are lack. Not all state even require background check. the background checks themselves are not done at both federal and state level in all states (its either one or the other). Basicly, we do not have uniform gun laws and background checks rules. Guns are weapons of mass destruction, which is why they get so much blame than knife, club etc. There is more chance of you killing multiple people before being stopped than with a knife or club (other people can tackle you, while you are trying to kill one person with a knife), guns do not have this luxuary. Can anyone deny that?

Quote Originally Posted by Celltrex View Post
    You compare cars to guns. Can you even make the difference between the purpose of these two objects?

Sure someone could hit people with a car. You think that's not enough and we need even more cases? Hell, by that logic we can give tanks to people as well. Give them rocket launchers, there is no difference since you can kill as much people with a car.
    That's the entire point. The intended purpose doesn't matter, it's what you ultimately do with the object. Banning certain objects won't drastically reduce violent occurrences.

Also, Aeluron. You stated your feelings and I'm responding to your statement. If there's a problem, you could've just posted in the other thread to begin with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I'm sorry to say this but... god dam rednecks..

Sure they have a right to be angry, but its the same crap as when they had book burnings. There misinformed, and the reality is its because of crap parenthood and there inability to raise there children right that it lead to this.
    It is funny you bring up misinformed when you seem to be misinformed about their intent and goal. They aren't red necks. They aren't blaming violent video games, music, or movies. They offering people that want to get rid of those things already an incentive and way to do it. Breaking the discs and later incinerating them. They aren't burning them to make a point. They are burning them to dispose of the now useless pieces they have. Incineration is likely just the standard disposal method for things of that nature.

You could have learned all of this by following the article linked but instead just ranted and raved about misinformed protestors.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-01-03 at 01:42 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Violent video game have less use than a gun in todays society.
    Video games have offered me hours of quality entertainment, some of them even have some good storytelling and some of them raise interesting philosophical questions (the dangers of technology, AI, transhumanism, etc, etc)

Would a gun offer me as much use?
    Putin khuliyo

YAY lets dance around a fire buring video games then go buy some automatic machine guns from the store down the road for our kids instead ...

video games dont make people violent ... retarded people in my everyday life make me violent ... when will they learn sigh...

Thing is, they sort of have a bit of the right idea.

"We're suggesting that for parents who have a child or children who play violent video games, to first of all view the games. We're asking parents to better understand what their child is doing. Have a conversation about next steps. If parents are comfortable (with their child's gaming habits), we're comfortable."

"Our message is fairly simple: Have the conversation with your child," he said. "If you conclude your child is done with these games, drop them off and less move forward. That is all.
    What he's saying there (from the article), isn't a bad thing by itself. Violence in the media is never going to hurt anybody who has a healthy way of looking at violence to begin with. I think the issue will rather be that parents who don't understand gaming culture can panic and overreact, simply due to what happened at Newton a month ago.

Reasonable discussion about media (in this case primarily video games) is never really a bad thing. And despite the fact that we all keep saying that video games never hurt anybody, they too are helping the world become a bit more desenitized. It's not dangerous as such, it's simply the world we live in at the moment. But if we can teach all the children to look at violence from a healthy perspective in terms of it being a possible source of entertainment rather than as a tool to be used, this whole debate would be completely erased for any reasonable person.

That said, the idea of burning is unnecessary. They could, if nothing else, sell the games to adults on ebay or some such, and give whatever they get to charity. And while the particular article this thread is about reports it fairly, these kinds of cases seem to more often than not end up as 'burn video games' in the media, rather than 'have conversations with your children about important stuff'.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Considering traffic in real life cities, someone crazy with a car will not even get through one block, forget rushhour, even regular time traffic will keep him blocked. I am not sure what you are saying about automatic weapon is truth, as assult rifles saw rise in sale just after the shooting incident. The sale would have taken months if they are expensive or hard to get. Gun shows don't have the red tape. Not all state have the same red tape. Right now, our gun laws are patchwork, some are strong depending on state, others are lack. Not all state even require background check. the background checks themselves are not done at both federal and state level in all states (its either one or the other). Basicly, we do not have uniform gun laws and background checks rules. Guns are weapons of mass destruction, which is why they get so much blame than knife, club etc. There is more chance of you killing multiple people before being stopped than with a knife or club (other people can tackle you, while you are trying to kill one person with a knife), guns do not have this luxuary. Can anyone deny that?
    You can't buy an automatic weapon at just any gun store. You have to buy from a Class2/3 dealer. Even then, it would cost you several thousand dollars assuming you get approved by the ATF. Even then, you have to go to your local sheriff or police office and get their permission aswell. You also have to go through this process for each individual firearm. Also, the lack of red tape you're talking about at gun shows only applies to private dealers. If I sold you a gun as a transaction between two private citizens, I wouldn't have to do a background check. If I was at a show representing a company/dealer, then, legally, I'd have to perform one. Gun laws in the US aren't as patchwork as you think. You have to fill out the same 4473 form in every state for any firearm and you have to go through the same process for owning an automatic firearm in every state. Please, do some research first before attempting to argue a point about which you have little knowledge about. A simple google search will suffice.

Here, I'll even provide a link for you: http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/

This link has all of the forms dealing with firearms. The 4473 form is REQUIRED IN EVERY STATE, as are background checks.

As for the traffic reference, you just wait until you're at the front of the line waiting on the light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is funny you bring up misinformed when you seem to be misinformed about their intent and goal. They aren't red necks. They aren't blaming violent video games, music, or movies. They offering people that want to get rid of those things already an incentive and way to do it. Breaking the discs and later incinerating them. They aren't burning them to make a point. They are burning them to dispose of the now useless pieces they have. Incineration is likely just the standard disposal method for things of that nature.

You could have learned all of this by following the article linked but instead just ranted and raved about misinformed protestors.
    Then why do they necessarily have to be "violent?"
    Putin khuliyo