Thread: Tank Healers

Tank Healers

We are in normal modes and using MW/Disc/Resto Shaman we decided to make resto shaman and disc do tank heals? Would that be the best combo or would MW be a better choice?

With disc as a tank healer would reforging change at all? What would be the best strategy to do tank healing? Or would holy be a better choice?

Deleted
    For a priest, I'd deffo prefer disc for tank healing to holy. Imo, disc atm is one of the strongest tank healers, and shamans aren't bad either. Regarding stats prio, usually mastery isnt as good for tank healing as it is for raid healing, due to capping aegis/spirit shell quite easily, but I think in a 10 man (which I assumed its the case from the 3 healers setup) a good balance of crit/mastery is good anyway. From what I could tell, tank healing is more demanding on mana than raid healing for disc, so you might want to be sure you have enough spirit.

If I were you, I'd prolly try with shaman tank healing mostly, disc and monk mixed between tank/raid healing (disc keeps shields for rapture, so cant avoid doing tank healing anyway). Disc not bound to tank healing 100% can ensure your raid some nice cushions with SS. That being said, depends which of your healers is better too: if you shaman shines on aoe, no reason why a disc wont do tank healing (I tank heal myself on bosses that need that, tho I raid 25 mans).

I cant think of a 10man normal mode fight that would require separate raid and tank healers, reforged&talented&suff for such a role, do you think it is necessary?

Probably good to go for crit instead of mastery if you're 10man/tank healing. You'd basically just switch from PoH to more single-target heals, while still getting Rapture procs. Personally, with a setup like that, I'd probably go:

Shaman on tanks, HR for stacked AoE.
    Priest on tanks/raid (Shell)
    Mistweaver on raid (Worse at tank healing)

Tank healing doesn't require changing reforging around. A healer set up for standard raid healing stat priorities can keep a tank up just fine. On most fights, keeping a tank up doesn't even require casting the majority of your heals on the tank.

Blizzard has mostly stopped balancing fights around tank gibs.

Deleted
    For all 3 healed fights it falls to simply Atonement Heal + add shields on tank / Spirit Shell for known situations(99%raid). Atonement generates enough heals for 90% of situations and your ability to switch fast to "HPS burst" mode takes care of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by platzman View Post
    For all 3 healed fights it falls to simply Atonement Heal + add shields on tank / Spirit Shell for known situations(99%raid). Atonement generates enough heals for 90% of situations and your ability to switch fast to "HPS burst" mode takes care of the rest.
    my personal favorite is to be a little stingier with using penance for atonement dps if you're 'tank healing' and if you notice your tank under ~70% hit f (target of target, which should be your tank) then penance (heals + grace on tank) and PWS, flash heal if needed.

honestly, though, the only tank gibs i've really experienced have been from taunt swaps where the taunting tank hasn't loaded up their active mitigation before taunting - not really the kinds of things you can heal through.