Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Nope. Most overhyped "MMO" (I use that term loosely) I've played in years. F2P SWTOR is a superior game.
    A crossfitter, a vegan, an atheist, and a vanilla WoW player all walked into a bar. I know because they all told me within 3 minutes.

World of Warcraft: Dying on MMO Champion since 2004

Pre-Alpha WoW tester since 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    Nope. Most overhyped "MMO" (I use that term loosely) I've played in years. F2P SWTOR is a superior game.
    you played it? care to explain what it is that you don't like?

edit: ah I don't care anymore what you think, seeing you bash the game in most of your 12 earlier posts I don't expect any interesting insight from you.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-03 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I've not played the game for a while now, but doesn't GW2 have more of a grind than WoW? When I last looked, it would take forever to gear up to the next level.
    It may take you some time to get a full set of exotic/ascended gear but once you do that’s it, with WoW you are continually upgrading you're gear when the new tier is released or a new faction is added. You simply don’t have close to the same vertical gear progression in GW2 which makes it very accessible even if you don’t play daily.

Deleted
    You have to grind to get full exotic set?? :O You can get full exotics whn you reach 80 with crafting.

Well you still have to farm or buy (or both really) the materials for crafting them. Anyway, getting a full exotic set is not really a grind. If you have some gold saved up you can buy a full set from the tradepost and you'll be all "geared" up right when you reach level 80.

You also get 3 exotics from Orr. Also most of the non-fractals gameplay is doable in like level 30 blues. Gear just isn't as big a factor as in games which are totally stat driven.

Fairly speaking, I suppose one would have to do some activities to gain exotics. A full set isn't "free" so to speak. How much one considers that a grind is pretty subjective.

not to forget: you get those jugs of karma with massive amounts of karma per day... do this from 1 to 80 and you've no problem buying your full set of exotics.

(7875 karma (with a one time boost) x 30 days = 326.250 karma in a month, alone for the daily achievement).
    (+ 10x 7875 karma = 78750 karma for the monthly... booha)

Deleted
    still have fun in the game because i can do what ever i want and to what time i want.

farming my legendary very slowly because you need really anything for it.

there i days i dont log in, there are days i do some jumping puzzles, mostly im in the WvW, here and there a little dungeon or solo pve, sometimes i do everything a little bit and so on. no stress, just fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Again, some of you guys just try so hard to make it sound like so much more than it is.

Events pop. They get zerged into the dirt. People say, "lol" and loot and get their medals and wait for 5 minutes for it to pop again, or just walk over to the next area where an event pops because they're really not dynamic at all, they're as static as any quest in other MMO's.

Once in a blue moon you'll bump into an event with an actual fail condition (that'll probably never be met because they're trivial even for a solo player) but even that is nothing more than, "Oh you didn't kill the Centaurs outside of the town, so now the event is to kill them inside the town!"
    This is about how I'd sum it up as well. The most disappointing aspect of GW2 to me was the "dynamic" events. They amount to either huge zergs or boring events that take forever because it's just you and maybe someone else. They most certainly don't scale high enough to create any sense of danger or challenge. I remember at one point when I first started, there was a bugged event that would respawn instantly. About 30-40 people just kept zerging it over and over. That's the mindset of most of the players, and dynamic events just complement that. Not what I'd call fun.

More on topic, without knowing your particular likes I would say to proceed with caution if you approach GW2. If you like casual exploration I think you'll find something to like. If you like world PvP or fair, structured PvP you may find something to like (just don't expect much variety). If you want challenging PvE content I would say no.

You guys are talking about the first weeks where everyone was playing in the same starter-zones, as it is today there are much less zergs going on in the zones, most players running fractals or WvW at the moment as it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    You guys are talking about the first weeks where everyone was playing in the same starter-zones, as it is today there are much less zergs going on in the zones, most players running fractals or WvW at the moment as it seems.
    Eh I haven't played for a good few months, but even starting a new character running around alone I found DEs to be a fairly boring way to quest. Being dynamic is an illusion, or at the very least misleading. There is almost no variety. I did nearly the same DEs leveling my guardian as my thief. They are just...quests.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-01-03 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Eh I haven't played for a good few months, but even starting a new character running around alone I found DEs to be a fairly boring way to quest. Being dynamic is an illusion, or at the very least misleading. There is almost no variety. I did nearly the same DEs leveling my guardian as my thief. They are just...quests.
    I played Queensdale I think 3 or 4 times. Had quite different experiences most of the time. So no, they are not just quests in my opinion.

while some dungeons have a few random DEs, i have to agree the open world lacks randomness.
    people quickly found out the timer on boss events and would start gathering at those times in order to get their share of the chest loot.

there are times i discover some DE i didn't do before which is nice but doesn't happen often enough i guess, they need to put more of that out there.
    gw2 DE system is pretty neat but the main problem atm is that they're not using its potential imo, but hopefully things will get better with time.

I've done Queensdale and Wayfarer Foothills like... 15 times. I only play Norn or Humans.

Seems a bit of personal fantasy or exaggeration to say events in those areas, and indeed throughout the game; are not mostly the same thing.

Natch, many players are concerned with the fantasy of playing a game for enjoyment rather than the mechanical workings &/or design. So I can understand how one could say on one play through they fought a centaur. On the next they fought a harpy. Whoa, different experiences!

Hmm. Tricky stuff.

But Dynamic isn't Random. And there are a few vids on youtube and even stated by Anet how people were misinterpreting the meaning of the actual system events.

First of all. I agree with Maarius. People are still talking about the game (I wonder why) in the state when launched with quite a few bugs, something that doesn't happen that much anymore. If you didn't play the game for a good few months, means you played only at launch. All launches are messes, so really...not much input there. Second (again with Maarius), yeah I've done quite a few times Queensdales, It changed just enough to make me feel okay to do it again, but comon it's still a game that is scripted and programmed with limitations.

I've been playing wow for a bit (with my wife that doesn't really like the action combat of gw2). Since level 15 I have never left Org, and right now I'm close to level 60. It's just too boring and plain, the only part I love to watch is the Warchief telling Sylvannas to shut up xD, that's priceless, and even if you still believe regular quests are the best way for a storytelling, well essentially it is, but I assure you very little people actually read the wall of text, even if you are interested in lore which I usually am. Now if you look up Dynamic Events meaning you will see that it has nothing to do with randomness. It has to do with the event happening with or without you, and that the outcome may vary and impact on the world as it is and stay that way until another action/trigger/event happens.

For me the game has flaws. One being that I still think the complexity of the events can be better explored (aka variety. They do offer a good bunch while leveling imo, but I wanted a bit more for the Orr region) Something like the mini-games we see in each patch should be introduced in the living world we see. And to some extent the difficulty which I agree could get some tweaks, failing an event seems rather rare.

Now, I think that while people say some are trying to make it look more than it is, we could say that alot of people try doing quite the opposite (not to mention that sometimes comes with the wrong reasons). The thing about zerging the events over and over are a player response to the system as well. Lower level places will "always" have those centaurs attacking that village because usually someone is passing there and will do that event, he can ignore if he wishes. On many playthrus I've found that its luck for me to get somewhere and be in the same event or not, but I certainly found others that weren't. On later levels, I feel like people chain-zerg-train events simply because they want to rush the content, aka will simply wait for the "trigger" and do it again and again, but that's because they wish to do so! They do the Plinx -> Arena -> Mother Drake -> Champion Abomination because they want to do so (for loot and karma) and they usually align in a good pace. But I'm sure as hell many people didn't take the time to kill the champion after the maze, nor the event on the ship, nor climbing the place near Grenth's (I think) temple.

So Again. Dynamic isn't random, it's just "meeting conditions", which they are.

But I will say that I expect a change overall in DE's at some point (meaning more events, and the withdrawn of some), and that It could use tweaking in difficulty and variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    But I will say that I expect a change overall in DE's at some point (meaning more events, and the withdrawn of some), and that It could use tweaking in difficulty and variety.
    more events would really be necessary imo. i stopped counting the times i spent more than 30mn wandering in a map doing my hearts without having a single event happening around.

also, would be nice if events could have more different outcomes and most of all more impact on the outside world, we barely see a bridge destroyed here and there and that's about all, which is quite a shame as they could push it much further than that if they wanted to.

still enjoying the game though and it was worth every cent spent on it, much more than every other game i got the last 5 years.

I recommended and sold it EXTREMELY much to a few friends, and they've all been at me for this. They were, at the time, tired of WoW so I assumed GW2 would give them MMO gameplay together and keep them busy. I was wrong...they all came back to WoW before too long.

So no, I wouldn't.

I would however and still do recommend it to people wanting an mmo, just like I recommend them to try rift and wow and tera to find the one they prefer.

I've done the starting zones I don't know how many times now and I still come across events I've never seen.

As far as "PvE" is concerned, I don't consider running the same half dozen dungeons and/or 1-2 raids to be superior to 'questing' or exploration. I never have understood people who skip 90% of a game's content just to run the last 10% ad nauseum and then claim anything prior to max level isn't content.

The only "daily" I know of in GW2 can be completed in less than half an hour, anywhere in the world you like, and it's not even really necessary unless you want the extra karma.

Questing content in theme park MMOs only function is to propel players to that 10% of content. So to speak.

It is a mistake on the player's part of such games to assume the length of questing content is the main function of the PVE experience.

Theme park MMOs are simply not designed with the intention that you are having a ball hanging out in the level 20-25 zone. That's all you, and irrespective of design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I played Queensdale I think 3 or 4 times. Had quite different experiences most of the time. So no, they are not just quests in my opinion.
    You fought x, you gathered x. They were quests.

Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing...questing is the staple of pretty much every MMO. It just is not different enough of an experience to be labelled as something extraordinary or revolutionary (not that anyone here has literally said so) and I would not sell anyone on playing GW2 for the DEs. I admittedly got caught up in the hype. I thought they would be totally random experiences, similar to say randomly generated dungeons, that would interact with the world permanently. I recall as well "permanent changes to the world" being one of the things being promoted by ANet (I could be very wrong, like I said I bought into the hype generated by the community). It just isn't the case.

Like I said in a post above, I would sell GW2 on exploration and leveling variety. If you wanted to you could never do a single DE and eventually hit level cap just by exploring, crafting, PvP (I think?) amongst other things. If that is the kind of PvE content you like, sure. But that is casual PvE and does not offer up any kind of a challenge. Which is why I would not recommend GW2 to someone who wants serious, challenging PvE.