Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    Don't know if I'd recommend it, basically as soon as you hit 80 you'll get tired of the game in a matter of days.
    Yeah don't assume your personal experience is going to apply to everyone...

Been 80 since the first week of September, going on 6 level 80 alts on top of extensive WvW and PvE play. Despite a plethora of issues which you'll have no problem finding me being vocal about, I've still been enjoying myself playing the game daily as my sole MMO.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-04 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Don't know if I'd recommend it, basically as soon as you hit 80 you'll get tired of the game in a matter of days.
    I think I wracked up 200 hours after I hit 80 without getting bored, and I didn't stop playing because of boredom either so I mean, it might be true for you, but definitely not for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    yeah they never said this. They talked about persistent changes - means something changes until someone comes around (enemy, player) and changes it forward/back. It's cyclical in nature.

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-joha...vent-questions
    "Its your world you effect things in a very permanent way"
    You're rescuing a village that will stay rescued and they will remember you"
    Guild wars manifesto. They did.

It doesnt really matter though, I was, lets say, unconvinced by this game but I always say if you can pick it up for £30 do so, even better if they do another trial wait for that. Although lets hope they dont use a content release day for another trial so everyone lags out on their one chance to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    "Its your world you effect things in a very permanent way"
    You're rescuing a village that will stay rescued and they will remember you"
    Guild wars manifesto. They did.

It doesnt really matter though, I was, lets say, unconvinced by this game but I always say if you can pick it up for £30 do so, even better if they do another trial wait for that. Although lets hope they dont use a content release day for another trial so everyone lags out on their one chance to play it.
    they clarified what was meant with this in quite a few interviews after that (for example the one I posted). The permanent part happens in your personal story and in your home instance (which I'm disappointed with). Furthermore: the heart npcs (e.g. from a village) will remember you, if you filled his heart. You can see it clearly in the dialogue-text, + he sells you things as reward for helping him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    HMMM?? why dnt you play gw2 pvp than? There are many players with different skills in pvp, and yes all online games are repetitive. That said I understand that it sux to play in dead areas, which sadly some low level zones lack people now in gw2.
    All pvp is OH this build can 2 shot people? yes please!

10+ Year Old Account
    they clarified what was meant with this in quite a few interviews after that (for example the one I posted). The permanent part happens in your personal story and in your home instance (which I'm disappointed with). Furthermore: the heart npcs (e.g. from a village) will remember you, if you filled his heart. You can see it clearly in the dialogue-text, + he sells you things as reward for helping him.
    Well the use of the term "never said this" was what I read, granted they may well have back tracked. Basically, all mmos follow the same system of completing a story and it being permanent that isnt new, and people remembering you and selling you stuff is not limited to GW2. Its not a very well implemented feature of the game seeing as it was in the main manifesto video, in fact I never felt like I had a less permanent impact on this game than in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    All pvp is OH this build can 2 shot people? yes please!
    This is the same in all "competitive" games. In a shooter if gun x is better than gun y 99% will run around with gun x.
    In rpgs if build x is better than build y the same thing will happen.

If an smg in a shooter can 2shot ppl and an assault rifle can aswell (note only 1 of each) but you prefer smg over assault rifle why would you not play with the 2shot kill smg?

Deleted
    The game is fine and perfectly enjoyable - the one off price is most likely worth paying if you enjoy MMOs. However I wouldn't recommend going into the game thinking that dynamic events and hearts will be drastically different from questing in a game like WoW. While they have a slightly different feel at first it doesn't take much to see through the illusion. The personal story is spread rather thin and between stops you'll often find yourself wandering into totally different zones and completing them without ever getting a feel for what the major plight or necessity in that area is; though I have only managed to reach roughly level 55 since release due to casual play times and taking things easy, I couldn't tell you the first thing about what is different in each of the human orientated zones. Things can ultimately feel rather similar.

The dungeoning experience is also incredibly frustrating at first and particularly unenjoyable (especially trying to do lower level instances) and the world events I participated in (Halloween and Lost Shores) were dull, boring and attrition based zerg fests. Hopefully these will get better over time. However, the game can be relaxing and enjoyable in small bouts - especially when I limit myself to not going crazy over how beautiful the world map was before it began to fill with zone details. Rectangles everywhere.

That and the voice acting is painful - especially the squeaks and squeals of the Sylvari female and the asshat human male lead knight character thing.

I once heard Guild Wars 2 described as a very beautiful yet shallow puddle which is fun to splash and jump around in for a short while before moving on to other things. I think it describes the game (in so far that I have played) rather well.

Edit: I noticed that someone said the game was a grind. I wouldn't describe it as such. Instead, many activities feel like a drag. Moving across the world map through instant travel is too costly (a cheaper "flight point" option involving a waiting time at reduced expenditure would be preferable) and you'll often find yourself annoyed that to even get back to a place will cost you two to three hearts worth of quests. The crafting system can also be rather intolerable and the pitifully small bank space that you are given when starting out is an incredibly transparent attempt to get you to spend money on microtransactions. Little elements like this (coupled with the previously mentioned voice acting and characterisation) can really make the game swing wildly from great fun (Pistol Whip smack smack, pretty scenery - yay!) to I-don't-want-to-play-this-let's-log-off very quickly.
    Last edited by mmoc695f354894; 2013-01-07 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    1.) The personal story is spread rather thin and between stops you'll often find yourself wandering into totally different zones and completing them without ever getting a feel for what the major plight or necessity in that area is;

2.) The dungeoning experience is also incredibly frustrating at first and particularly unenjoyable (especially trying to do lower level instances)

3.) and the world events I participated in (Halloween and Lost Shores) were dull, boring and attrition based zerg fests. Hopefully these will get better over time.

4.) Moving across the world map through instant travel is too costly (a cheaper "flight point" option involving a waiting time at reduced expenditure would be preferable) and you'll often find yourself annoyed that to even get back to a place will cost you two to three hearts worth of quests.

5.) The crafting system can also be rather intolerable and the pitifully small bank space that you are given when starting out is an incredibly transparent attempt to get you to spend money on microtransactions.
    Funny how people experience certain points quite different. My thoughts on your comment:

1.) As I see it the personal story is meant to be played alongside leveling, it has a natural flow since you visit places where leveling leads you. Exploring and leveling makes you familiar with a location, when you enter the personal story mission on the recommended level (it's indicated in the top right corner) most of the time you have leveled in that area. Now when you enter the PS-mission you experience this place with a new flavour. If you are higher in level you will get scaled down to the mission-level and everything is fine.

It would make no sense to play the PS without the leveling, since you need an appropriate level to enter the mission anyway. There might be a design problem with the game since it doesn't consider a race leveling in another race's areas. This, I agree, would feel a bit odd, if you don't know the area where your PS takes place.

2.) I guess the problem is that some people aren't quite familiar with the gamedesign. There are no tanks here who keep mobs away from you and no healer who correct your mistakes. You rely on yourself and everyone who enters a dungeon without defensive stats on his gear (vitality, toughness) should really reconsider. Good players manage glass cannon playstyle, but that is definitely not for everyone. Getting oneshot is, in most cases, the fault of the player.

3.) I agree mostly, loved the Wintersday activities and the scavenger-hunt puzzle-missions in the Halloween event, but the Karka-zerg was just bad. It was a onetime event and they corrected this with Tixx: Wintersday events could be done whenever you wanted, after Tixx went to Lions Arch.

4.) Well at the moment I'm lv.80 with 2 characters and I've accumulated enough money that travelfees are no problem at all. I see that it can be a problem in the beginning, but I also don't see why someone would travel the whole time at a low level. Leveling through hearts and events is possible without travel since hearts are not too far away from each other and events happen between those. Yes, if you want to play with friends, you need traveling... but thats once. No idea why people think they have to port around all the time. Doesn't it feel more natural to you to run and explore the world a bit? Well Anet encourages this view since you have to pay for traveling. Much better though than sitting on a autopilot flying mount and spending 20min to reach a certain location.

5.) I currently have 5 bank-storage spaces and I haven't spent a cent for gems. Gold to Gems works as a charm, just use the trading post wisely and you will have no problem with money in GW2. People who ignore the trading post and accumulate tons of crafting-mats they don't even need... well, it's their own fault really.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    The game is fine and perfectly enjoyable - the one off price is most likely worth paying if you enjoy MMOs. However I wouldn't recommend going into the game thinking that dynamic events and hearts will be drastically different from questing in a game like WoW. While they have a slightly different feel at first it doesn't take much to see through the illusion. The personal story is spread rather thin and between stops you'll often find yourself wandering into totally different zones and completing them without ever getting a feel for what the major plight or necessity in that area is; though I have only managed to reach roughly level 55 since release due to casual play times and taking things easy, I couldn't tell you the first thing about what is different in each of the human orientated zones. Things can ultimately feel rather similar.

The dungeoning experience is also incredibly frustrating at first and particularly unenjoyable (especially trying to do lower level instances) and the world events I participated in (Halloween and Lost Shores) were dull, boring and attrition based zerg fests. Hopefully these will get better over time. However, the game can be relaxing and enjoyable in small bouts - especially when I limit myself to not going crazy over how beautiful the world map was before it began to fill with zone details. Rectangles everywhere.

That and the voice acting is painful - especially the squeaks and squeals of the Sylvari female and the asshat human male lead knight character thing.

I once heard Guild Wars 2 described as a very beautiful yet shallow puddle which is fun to splash and jump around in for a short while before moving on to other things. I think it describes the game (in so far that I have played) rather well.

Edit: I noticed that someone said the game was a grind. I wouldn't describe it as such. Instead, many activities feel like a drag. Moving across the world map through instant travel is too costly (a cheaper "flight point" option involving a waiting time at reduced expenditure would be preferable) and you'll often find yourself annoyed that to even get back to a place will cost you two to three hearts worth of quests. The crafting system can also be rather intolerable and the pitifully small bank space that you are given when starting out is an incredibly transparent attempt to get you to spend money on microtransactions. Little elements like this (coupled with the previously mentioned voice acting and characterisation) can really make the game swing wildly from great fun (Pistol Whip smack smack, pretty scenery - yay!) to I-don't-want-to-play-this-let's-log-off very quickly.
    While I appreciate your experience with the game, Ill agree with all the points told by Maarius.
    Besides the Zerg Karka fest (Which I will say, I hate zergs but that was kinda fun XD, everyone kept dying. The lag was horrible tho)

The rest seems rather a misconception of the design, such as world travel and and micro-transactions. Or even personal story flow.

As for the rest, of course it's your experience and I respect. For me regardless of how close DEs are from regular Quests, on my experience made the whole difference. I have 8 characters all over the place (between 20 and 80) and I never felt like questing at all (even doing the same areas), unlike WoW where I sit in Org waiting for Queues.

I noticed you said about Dungeons being frustrating but you didn't actually explain why. Maarius assumed what is was but I would like to know from you, what really got you to not enjoy it. (Altho Maarius may already pin pointed the problem perhaps.)

I think it's a personal thing whether you will get bored or not once you hit 80, it depends what you're goals for the game are and if you miss vertical progression games where it's all about the gear grind.

Personally I'm not bored yet and have been playing casually since launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glaukus View Post
    Does being a casual game limit the amount of fun you have in comparison to a game like WoW?
    I can tell you from my 6 years of experience in WoW, I will never go back since playing GW2. It doesn't mean WoW is a bad game, it just means my preferences have changed, and frankly, I find WoW to be far too time-consuming for my lifestyle now. I have a lot of fun in GW2, and I can do it at my pace.

---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 12:48 PM ----------

I wouldn't go by what this person says. This is not true for everyone. I personally have 3 level 80's, and a lot of goals for each of them. Not tired of the game at all. I am still discovering things I haven't done or seen yet, too. There is plenty to keep you busy at 80.

A lot of goals at max level are sorta defined by /you/ in GW2. I think that trips a lot of players up when they come to GW2. Especially in the divide between the "new" MMO players which view the genre casually and the more invested MMO players that still feel proper raiding begins at 100 man encounters, farming a boss over 10,000 times in a 4-5 year span.

I can assure you, the latter was definitely how MMO used to be. Those are real examples.

All the same, just approach games on their own design merits. There is no reason one can't play GW2 and other games. Or Skyrim and other games. Or Farcry and others games, blah blah blah.

Video gaming is not a marriage.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you should give it a try.

To give a unique perspective, I am someone who played and enjoyed GW2, but I haven't logged on in months. I didn't even make it to max level because I was trying out alts, exploring, and it just takes a long time if you are being casual about it.

Now I know that statement might sound pretty negative, but here's the best part: you can stop playing whenever you want, you can come back to it whenever you want, and you don't have to pay a single penny more than the initial price. Beyond all the cool things you can do in the game, that is what should sell it. You get a new experience that will be around when you want it for a one time purchase.

I will play GW2 again, I'm just not ready for it right now.

I would also suggest it to anyone who enjoys a MMO style game. Personally i played the game for the first 2 weeks, and stopped around level 50 on my thief. The game wasn't enjoyable for me anymore, and I was confused about the mechanics. I started playing again 2 weeks ago, and have a level 80 ranger now. The ranger really helped me understand the mechanics.

If i had to compare this to any other MMO it would actually be Vanilla WoW. In Vanilla WoW one of my favorite aspects was working towards a personal goal that was difficult, and didn't necessarily require a large amount time investment. What comes to mind is the Cap of the Scarlet Savant progression line. It took different aspects of the game to create, and was very enjoyable for me. Taking nearly 4 months, I eventually was able to craft this helm.

GW2 has that same kind of gameplay, you can work towards your own personal goals. These goals don't necessarily take investment like raiding, and have a margin of luck. Getting a full set of exotics takes some time or some crafting (A la vanilla WoW epic gear). Yes it is somewhat easier to recieve full exotics than recieving full epics in vanilla was, but it is the closest I have found out of the current crop of MMO's.

Farming in the game also requires clearing mobs, and is somewhat time intensive. Rather than flying from node to node and basically having no PvE interaction this game plays much more like Vanilla WoW. If you are farming on Orr and try to ignore every enemy, there is a good chance you will die.

Deleted
    about the grind thing... its just as grindy as you make it grindy.

i have seen a youtube video about a warrior that farmed his legendary sword. he said things like "the badges of honor should be renamed in badges of jumping" and you know why? (you get badges of honor from WvW kills, the WvW Jumping Puzzle (4 Puzzles, you can do them 1 time each day), and the bigger PvE Bosses on the WvW map)

all he did to get this badges was getting into his home WvW zone with a lvl 2 warrior alt. using the portals his guildmate mesmers have placed for him, getting the round about 12 badges you get from this JP and then deleting his charakter to do this again with another lvl 2 warrior alt.

THIS is a grind. but only because he decided to do it this way. i played much wvw with my support Guardian and my Mesmer while leveling and i got this 500 badges you need for the legendary in no time, without grind and with fun. i have done the jumping puzzles when i felt like doing them (you know, fun and so on ^^) and the most came from the battles on the map.

you can expand this on every other aspect of the game. if you grind to get something, even if there are more ways to get something its your decision.

should you take it "objectively", gw2 is not as much (not at all actually) a grindy game as previous MMOs unless you're looking to get yourself 3 legendary items per character.
    but then it's like complaining cars are expensive because you litteraly had to sell your family members to buy yourself a ferrari...

just sayin...

Oh, I don't know about that. Leveling in GW2 is a bit slow. Probably more "grindy" in that aspect than a lot of newer MMOs. With the only other recent MMO comparable being SWTOR- which also had sluggish leveling at times.

Not that GW2 leveling is too overbearing or anything. But certainly is slower than say Tera or Rift, for example.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-08 at 05:28 AM.

ever heard of events scattered around the map? You don't see events as PvE?
    From my experience there is a 'lot' of PVE but it is extremely repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. Leveling in GW2 is a bit slow. Probably more "grindy" in that aspect than a lot of newer MMOs. With the only other recent MMO comparable being SWTOR- which also had sluggish leveling at times.

Not that GW2 leveling is too overbearing or anything. But certainly is slower than say Tera or Rift, for example.
    I usually agree with what you say, or at least understand where you are coming from. But this comment has me baffled. GW2 is about the quickest I've seen for leveling. Certainly quicker than those two games you used as an example.