Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question New mobile phone ...

I'm looking for a new-gen phone (so newer than a Galaxy S2) with a good price/performance

I'm personally looking for a phone with ...

Android 4.x
    a nice, valuely feeling case
    16GB+ memory or 8GB + SD-Slot
    1GB RAM
    1GHz+ Dual-Core
    a good "in-use"-lifetime
    3.5"+ display

which phone would you choose and why?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally use a Droid Razr Maxx. There is also an HD Razr Maxx.
    Has 16GB memory + 32GB max SD slot. HD 32GB + 32GB max SD slot
    1GB ram
    1.5GHz S4 Dual core Snapdragon (HD), or a 1.4GHz Dual Core.
    3300 mAh battery. It lasts me a long ass time.
    4.3" / 4.7 screen non / HD respectively.

It's currently Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3), I managed to get a Jelly Bean update before they pulled it off. Supposedly was an accidental 'update'.
    It's got an adorable Jelly Bean for the USB 'debugging' mode.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2013-01-03 at 03:52 AM.

I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

It is absolutely amazing. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I just picked up the Samsung Galaxy Note II.

It is absolutely amazing. That is all.
    Could that please not be all? I'm getting a new phone in 2 weeks, and I'm seriously considering one of those. What is so amazing and why?

I wish people would say storage instead of memory. Memory usually refers to RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Could that please not be all? I'm getting a new phone in 2 weeks, and I'm seriously considering one of those. What is so amazing and why?
    Its hardware is amazing, it fits well in my hands (compared to certain other, smaller devices), the keyboard (on screen) is large enough that I don't have issues getting the right word when swiping, the forward facing camera makes video calls easy as hell, I have a nice leather case that makes it look like a small journal, and it comes with a stylus so that I can literally write when I feel like it.

Also the upgrade to 4G is great for me, but if you currently have a 4G you may not see a difference. I went from a Galaxy S 1 to this and I absolutely love it. Also, streaming netflix in HD now on 4G and the bigger screen for Kindle (since I don't use a separate device for ebooks) is great as well.

I played around with the Galaxy S 3 and the Note 2, and they both fit in my pocket and hand fine, but the Note 2 just felt right. My hands might be a big larger than normal, though. I would suggest you go into your carrier's store and see how they fit in your hands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I wish people would say storage instead of memory. Memory usually refers to RAM.
    Yeah, awesome. I wish people would say "midline stabilization" instead of "abs" but you know... No-one cares!

Anyway, on topic have you checked out the Google Nexus 4?
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2013-01-03 at 04:39 AM.

Samsung galaxy S3/Note 2 (all carriers), HTC one X + (AT&T), HTC droid DNA (only phone with a 1080p screen)(Verizon), Motorola Droid Razr HD/Max HD (Verizon), and LG Nexus 4 (unlocked from Google, works with T-Mobile/AT&T, however it doesn't offer LTE like the rest) all came out within 2012 and are excellent phones. Also, CES is next week and many companies will be showing off new phones so if you aren't in dire need of one this minute I'd wait to see what CES has to offer.

If you have any further questions I'd be glad to help
    Last edited by Aethias; 2013-01-03 at 04:36 AM.

Deleted
    The HTC One X?

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    The HTC One X?
    Don't get the One X...go for the One X +. It is now more expensive, but works much better (better processor and what not)

I'd suggest the samsung s3 or the note2. The note 2 can be a bit large for some people so make sure you try one out first. I have a S2 and it's a great phone and the S3 is just a much better version of it and the note 2 is pretty much the same but a large one.

My mum has a HTC desire X and the few times I played with it I couldn't find anything to complain about and when I play with phones I try to find something wrong.

Only ones I've had any experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by sh1nth4r View Post
    I'm looking for a new-gen phone (so newer than a Galaxy S2) with a good price/performance

I'm personally looking for a phone with ...

Android 4.x
    a nice, valuely feeling case
    16GB+ memory or 8GB + SD-Slot
    1GB RAM
    1GHz+ Dual-Core
    a good "in-use"-lifetime
    3.5"+ display

which phone would you choose and why?
    Carrier/Country would be nice. Depending on US provider there are so many different, but similar, devices in this category.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aethias View Post
    Samsung galaxy S3/Note 2 (all carriers), HTC one X + (AT&T), HTC droid DNA (only phone with a 1080p screen)(Verizon), Motorola Droid Razr HD/Max HD (Verizon), and LG Nexus 4 (unlocked from Google, works with T-Mobile/AT&T, however it doesn't offer LTE like the rest) all came out within 2012 and are excellent phones. Also, CES is next week and many companies will be showing off new phones so if you aren't in dire need of one this minute I'd wait to see what CES has to offer.

If you have any further questions I'd be glad to help
    I agree with everything here, and will extend the same help if needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethias View Post
    Don't get the One X...go for the One X +. It is now more expensive, but works much better (better processor and what not)
    On the contrary, you will not notice the 0,2 Ghz extra at all. And it's way more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a Note II as well -- I'm really liking it. I actually use the stylus (which I thought was a bit of a gimmick) a lot more than I expected to (S Note, annotating screenshots, etc...). The handwriting recognition is actually really good. It doesn't hurt that it's incredibly fast too. If you have big hands it's a no brainer. It just feels right, as opposed to my last phone, which was an HTC Droid Incredible 2, and that felt like a toy.

If the Nexus 4 was available, I might have gone for that instead.. but I really dig the size of the Note so far (and to its detriment the Nexus 4 doesn't have 4G right now).

I would totally consider the Droid DNA too, if only because of the bling factor of having a 1080p screen.

EDIT: This is after a little over a month of having it. We'll see how I feel after 6 months. :P

On the contrary, you will not notice the 0,2 Ghz extra at all. And it's way more expensive.
    While I can't speak from personal experience with the two, every video I've scene seems to show the + being better and still only $200 which is the price of most phones (in the USA at least). But regardless, neither One X would be my first choice. Also in the USA the original One X is only duel core while the + is quad core here too. Just noticed you're from the Netherlands so you don't really see that problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    The HTC One X?
    non-replaceable battery, no microSD slot. Pass.

I quite liked my Incredible S and it's now serving my mother well, but I am entirely unimpressed with HTC iPhoneizing the One line.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    non-replaceable battery, no microSD slot. Pass.

I quite liked my Incredible S and it's now serving my mother well, but I am entirely unimpressed with HTC iPhoneizing the One line.
    non-replaceable battery.

SOMETHING HE DIDN'T ASK FOR YOU KNOW.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-01-03 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    non-replaceable battery.

SOMETHING HE DIDN'T ASK FOR YOU KNOW.
    He didn't ask for the 3.5"+ screen to be in colour either.

I file both user-replaceable batteries and a microSD slot under the category of "basic expected features to avoid planned obsolesce".

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Yeah, awesome. I wish people would say "midline stabilization" instead of "abs" but you know... No-one cares!

Anyway, on topic have you checked out the Google Nexus 4?
    Well, given people actually use the three terms I was talking about in the same sentence, I think it gets a lot more confusing/annoying. People do care when others come to them with problems using the terms interchangeably, creating confusion.

I'd say the Nexus 4. Mostly because of the superior OS support (since it's sort of the "official" google/android phone).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance