Poll: Level of change regarding keybinds

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mouse button4-R-T-G-Middle mouse
    (Heal-7-8-9-Elite)

I moved class skills to Z-V, didnt touch the primary skill bar but access them through my razer naga. Moved weapon swap to R because it felt natural to me to have it there to get a new set of CD's (R for reload in most FPS games). I also added/rebound dodge to my razer nagga (think default was on one of the keys I put class skills on)

So total for me is either 6 or 16 depending on how you count the whole naga thing for the skill keybinds.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquephyre View Post
    Haha, fair enough. When I posted the poll I guess I could've thought a little more about how many keys there actually are to bind. If I counted correctly there's 72 different actions that can be bound -- That's quite the spectrum between 8 and 72.
    The whole poll could be limited to just keys that cause your character to take some combat action. Those will be hands down the most commonly remapped keys anyway, and the only ones that really affect your gameplay.

As for the topic, I wonder why do these games still map the numbers 6-0 by default, I don't think there's a person on this planet who could comfortably use those with the standard WASD setup.

I instantly put dodge to Q, heal to E, AD for strafing, Shift 1-4 for F1-F4 and then scattered 7-0 across R,T,G,Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    When I first started playing WoW I was both a keyboard turner and a clicker, yet I PvPed quite effectively. It's subjective. If that's how someone's used to playing they'll be a lot more adept at it than you'd think.

It's the same thing with typing. I learned my own method by writing a lot. People kept assuring me I was gimping myself by not typing "properly", but I consistently type over 90wpm with almost perfect accuracy and without having to look at the keyboard. It's all in what you're used to doing.
    This is not WoW, and it's not subjective. Keybinding enables you to play better. Due to the level of movement/positioning and addition of dodging in this game you physically cannot play this game effectively if you are both keyboard turning and clicking.

I PvPed in WoW at first using a combination of keybinds and clicking and keyboard turned, and did just fine as well. The thing is, a full keybinder of equal skill will always be better than their clicking counterpart. Should go without saying, but keybinding also doesn't suddenly make you megaimbauberpwnmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    As for the topic, I wonder why do these games still map the numbers 6-0 by default, I don't think there's a person on this planet who could comfortably use those with the standard WASD setup.
    Yeah that is really frustrating/terrible design. It encourages one or more of the following disruptive playstyles: 1) looking at your keyboard during play, 2) taking your hand off the mouse or other important keys, and/or 3) clicking to perform actions.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-04 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    I use 99% of the standard keybinds personally, I am the same as grandpab - the two changes I made, were to remove keyboard turn (binding it to strafe instead), and (eventually) removing the dodge double tap and changing my dodge key.

Otherwise the standard keybinds worked very well for me and do in the majority of games.

Deleted
    5-10 is bound to my mouse and changed the interact key to R that's it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    This is not WoW, and it's not subjective. Keybinding enables you to play better. Due to the level of movement/positioning and addition of dodging in this game you physically cannot play this game effectively if you are both keyboard turning and clicking.

I PvPed in WoW at first using a combination of keybinds and clicking and keyboard turned, and did just fine as well. The thing is, a full keybinder of equal skill will always be better than their clicking counterpart. Should go without saying, but keybinding also doesn't suddenly make you megaimbauberpwnmaster.
    Likewise, keyboard turning and clicking doesn't automatically make someone a terribad player. I was responding to your, "they must be the people you see defeated every 20 seconds saying 'rez plz'" comment.

I'd agree with you on keyboard turning in GW2 since it does seem much slower than in other games, but not necessarily clicking. I still tend to click my 7-0 abilities and while it may not be optimal I don't feel the game is any more challenging or that I play any more poorly because of it. There's maybe a fraction of a second delay versus a keystroke.

I use the default ones! Because that's how awesome I am and stuff

I use a razer naga so I don't really have to change the binds, However I did re-bind f1-f4 to my mouse buttons because its a pain using those keys as an elementalist.

Gamepad and razer naga, always changing the keybinds.
    Last edited by Livic; 2013-01-04 at 09:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireballzz
    WoW is dying pls send help

6 can be comfortably pressed without taking fingers off QWE keys. 7-0 require some sort of hand movement or using the right hand, but they're skills that are not used that often.

Anyway I usually do everything the hard way, it's more rewarding as you don't feel at all gimped if you suddenly lose your shortcuts you usually rely on.

I remapped everything from 3 and beyond

4: Cntrl+1
    5: cntrl+2
    6: E
    7:Q
    8: R
    9: F
    0: Z

F2= MB1
    F3=MB2
    F4= MB3(middle)

I use basic hardware and equipment.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)