Poll: Level of change regarding keybinds

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Default Keybinds, do you use them?

I'm curious how many people who browse these forums use the default keybinds. Personally, I don't. As soon as I installed the game I removed the Turn Keys (A and D) and replaced them with Strafe instead since I've never used keybinds to turn anyway. Shortly after that I remapped weapon-swap to Q and, while I also use double-tap for dodge, added a keybind for Dodge on E. After a while I remapped most of the others as well to be, from left to right: 1,2,3,4,5,g,z,x,c,shft+g. I also remapped my social binds Guild=Y, Friends=Shft+Y. There's also Auto-run bound to R and About Face on ~.

To add in case someone finds value in it - I main a Pistol/Shield Engineer and alt a Scepter/Focus-GS Mesmer. I also primarily play w3 and run the occasional dungeon.
    Last edited by Liquephyre; 2013-01-03 at 07:26 PM.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.

I never change the turn keys to strafe simply because I'm always pressing the camera button (mouse number 2) XD so it becomes a strafe.

Other than that I "remap" anything from heal to elite skills to my Razer Hex mouse (6 buttons on the side). Also I dislike using F1 to F4 for the usual "class mechanic" so mouse button number 3, 4 and the mouse wheel are mapped for that.

I use:
    All weapon skills plus 3 utility are binded on my Razer Naga
    Class skills are on 1-4 keyboard
    Heal on Q
    Elite on E
    Dodge on Control
    Weapon swap on default ~

Works for me.
    Last edited by Moralio; 2013-01-03 at 07:34 AM.

Of course not.

First thing to do in any game is thoroughly scan the options screen. Second is to adjust binds optimally.

No. GW2 uses basically the same key setup as every other game I've played dating back to D2, so I'm used to it. I still use a standard 2-button mouse w/scroll wheel (gasp) and 'standard' (it's split, but no frills) keyboard so I have nothing to remap. Maybe if I had a fancy schmancy gaming keyboard and mouse I would, but not with my current setup.

I made quite a few changes. only use the first 4 default weapon skills and I wish I could move those icons around.

Heal: Q
    Weapon skill 5: E
    Pet/class skill:R, Alt+E, alt_F, alt R
    Dodge - Mouse button 5
    Utility skills: V, Mouse button 4, B, C, G
    Right and left: changed to Strafe

Deleted
    No, apart from 1-5 and W I rebinded everything.
    Last edited by mmoc3157d46ea6; 2013-01-03 at 10:16 AM.

Had to rebind the f1/f2/etc keys, as I use a laptop. Otherwise, standard.

Remapped more than 8, but it wasn't EVERYTHING.

I don't have any idea how you can play this game effectively with the standard keybinds, LET ALONE the keyboard turners... omg even worse, clickers..... they must be the people you see defeated every 20 seconds saying 'rez plz'

Hah it's easier to go through what I didn't change:
    W/S/1-5/Spacebar/C/Tab, and most of the random menu buttons...
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-03 at 04:53 PM.

Deleted
    well didnt look properly and voted wrong but i use controller mostly when i do play once in a while

my 6-0 skills are shift modified 1-5 so im really only using 1-5. Thats all the changes i have made.

I've changed only 6 - 0 skills to my mouse buttons (I have Logitech G700).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Remapped more than 8, but it wasn't EVERYTHING.
    Haha, fair enough. When I posted the poll I guess I could've thought a little more about how many keys there actually are to bind. If I counted correctly there's 72 different actions that can be bound -- That's quite the spectrum between 8 and 72.

Also going to edit my original post to reflect some additional binds I originally neglected.
    Grammar- It's the difference between knowing your shit & knowing you're shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I don't have any idea how you can play this game effectively with the standard keybinds, LET ALONE the keyboard turners... omg even worse, clickers..... they must be the people you see defeated every 20 seconds saying 'rez plz'
    When I first started playing WoW I was both a keyboard turner and a clicker, yet I PvPed quite effectively. It's subjective. If that's how someone's used to playing they'll be a lot more adept at it than you'd think.

It's the same thing with typing. I learned my own method by writing a lot. People kept assuring me I was gimping myself by not typing "properly", but I consistently type over 90wpm with almost perfect accuracy and without having to look at the keyboard. It's all in what you're used to doing.

All I did was move dodge and got rid of my turning keybinds because I absolutely cannot stand keyboard turning. I don't really care how other people turn, but it bugs the hell out of me.

Didn't see a reason to change ability keybinds because of my naga. 6 is always an important button when I play games so the heal could stay there, 7-9 stayed because 7-9 is a row on the naga, and 0 (or 10) is usually another important button I use frequently so I kept that one too.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-01-03 at 11:50 PM.

Rebound my 6-0 to the numpad, weapon-swap to Z, and assigned the draw/sheath weapon command to X. Other than those, my setup is pretty much the same as the defaults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed EVERYTHING.

I move with ASD. AD to strafe, S to move forward. I'm also used to having my main abilities on QWE and 2 so that's what I did. My heal is shift-W because im used to that bind and my kit switches (im engineer) are on my naga 1,2,3 because that's what I use on WoW for my shapeshifts. T is lock on target, G is switch to locked on target because those were free. C is roll, same bind for my WW monk (C is primareily my gap closer, combined with R sometimes). And R and F are also my main abilities now. My toolbelt abilities are on 2,3,4,5 and my stun breaker on 1 because my PvP trinket is also on 1 in WoW. X is backpedal so I can dodge backwards and Z isn't bound. V is interact btw.
    Oh and weapon swap is shift-Q because it's an easy to use bind for me.

My problem with GW2 keybinds is thought that the camera works shitty because it drags your camera a bit (already turned that option to the lowest it gets, but still it's sluggy) and my keybinds are mainly revolved around moving with my mouse because I run with S instead of W, which makes it harder for me to use my ring finger and my index finger to reach stuff while holding S.

I almost always rebind keys in every game. After all, people use their fingers differently. More importantly, by checking the keybind menu, one learns about the basic functions a game has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    All I did was move dodge and got rid of my turning keybinds because I absolutely cannot stand keyboard turning. I don't really care how other people turn, but it bugs the hell out of me.
    Keyboard turning has its place. When you're just going somewhere and you want to have your right hand free for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Keyboard turning has its place. When you're just going somewhere and you want to have your right hand free for a while.
    I thought the same thing for a while. I quit playing MMOs for a bit and I think every game I played (specifically Smite) during my MMO break didn't even have an option to keybind a turn key. I got so use to it that keyboard turning just felt foreign and I couldn't stand it.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-01-04 at 02:27 AM.