Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    While I admire your choices, they are a little dated, those are what my dad carried when he was still serving in the army. For a concealable pistol I would go with a Glock 26, it is pretty popular in certain military units.
    I'm 41 years old, and have my favorites. the new guns just don't do it for me, they all look like toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I'm 41 years old, and have my favorites. the new guns just don't do it for me, they all look like toys.
    They aren't for the usual American?
    What has made you think about obtaining a weapon, OP?
    Do you have a safe spot for the weapon?
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-01-03 at 05:51 PM.

I don't have a clue why you would want a firearm at home. it just don't understand the need for it.
    I have a SIG 550 at home, because I have to. stupid mandatory army service. I can't wait for the day I can give that thing back again

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    They aren't for the usual American?
    Since the largest market for firearms in the World is the USA all firearm designs are for the Usual Americans.

Well i don't like glocks at all so i may be bias. What i do know is people have been loving the M&Ps (especially women due to their smaller grips). That being said get a Springfield XD haha. You really cannot go wrong with anything in the XD line. Also, what is your decision of a 9mm over a .40 or 45?

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    Well i don't like glocks at all so i may be bias. What i do know is people have been loving the M&Ps (especially women due to their smaller grips). That being said get a Springfield XD haha. You really cannot go wrong with anything in the XD line. Also, what is your decision of a 9mm over a .40 or 45?
    I'm not big on Glocks either, just don't find them comfortable. No issues with the Springfield XD/XDMs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Neither, if you want a quality 9mm pistol get the Browning Hi-Power.
    As for your intentions for concealed carry I find it suspect as to why you need this and want such large 9mm's.
    Best holdout pistol is the Walther ppk
    While I like the Browning, I enjoy the CZ more... as my name would imply.
    Not for sure what your were getting at on the second part.
    As for the last bit, I'm not a fan of the number generated by the .380. If we were to discuss worst case scenario, penetration loss due to layered clothing is a serious potential. If you're using hollow points, which I would be, this is more of an issue during a good portion of the year in the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    What has made you think about obtaining a weapon, OP?
    Do you have a safe spot for the weapon?
    I've always enjoyed arms be it martial arts based or jet fighters. Though the reason for a concealed weapon is actually because I have a very strong personal belief.

Your government and laws can only do so much to "keep you safe" but at the end of the day or when the moment comes I believe it is up to the individual to be a form of defense. I think modern society has sort of become weak on this idea. We used to kill or maim as punishment for theft. Now we give them a small fine and a tax payer vacation. Those who don't with to be inconvenienced by the trip have and will go to violent lengths to avoid the hassle.

It is possible to save someones life; though I would rather never have to be even remotely close to such a position or event of choice. http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4527526
    Last edited by cz75fan; 2013-01-04 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cz75fan View Post
    So I'm having a huge toss between a Glock 19 and a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c. The hardest part about the decision is that the M&P hasn't been on the market as long so the Glock has a mass volume of magazines on the market over the M&P. I figure when the squabbling dies down prices will return to normal a bit or I'll just have a friend pick up a few for me in another state.

Any opinions on which one you prefer? It will be primarily used for a concealed carry and nightstand weapon. I'm just wondering if anyone has lived with both and found one to be a better fit over the other.
    get a sig enough said lol.......but if you are suck between the 2 id go s&w just because i personally hate glocks.......overpriced pieces of crap imo

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    None, you are not responsible enough to be a firearms owner.
    I totally agree with this !

Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    get a sig enough said lol.......but if you are suck between the 2 id go s&w just because i personally hate glocks.......overpriced pieces of crap imo
    I love Sig Sauer as a company and their products by and large. However, Sigs lack a lot of great options in concealed weapons compared to some other companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    I totally agree with this !
    Why is that, beyond wild assumption on both accounts?

Deleted
    Why is that, beyond wild assumption on both accounts?
    Keeping a weapon on a nightstand is irresponsible, thats why. Keep it in a small safe instead.

Deleted
    --REMOVED--

Memes and nation bashing is forbidden
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-01-04 at 04:12 PM.

Keeping a weapon on a nightstand is irresponsible, thats why. Keep it in a small safe instead.
    Is it always this or is it potentially this?

15+ Year Old Account
    It is possible to save someones life; though I would rather never have to be even remotely close to such a position or event of choice. http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=4527526
    I wouldn't call this "save someones life", sorry.

Deleted
    Is it always this or is it potentially this?
    Always, unsecured weapons can be stolen and used by criminals. I own firearms myself, but they are always secure.

Always, unsecured weapons can be stolen and used by criminals. I own firearms myself, but they are always secure.
    I wish I too lived in a complete white an black world of assumptions.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    So when I'm sleeping in bed, a gun on my nightstand is irresponsible? When I'm sitting in my room watching TV, a gun on my nightstand is irresponsible?

[hint, no one said ANYTHING about leaving a gun unattended on a nightstand and leaving the house]

The only time a gun should be "locked up" is so that a child or other irresponsible party could get access to it.

Deleted
    just get yourself a few bear traps, works against robbers aswell as zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    just get yourself a few bear traps, works against robbers aswell as zombies.
    Ironically, this practice is illegal in most places.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    I wouldn't call this "save someones life", sorry.
    So a police officer is on his back with someone on top of him, beating the crap out of him, and the police yelling for help. Citizen comes by and plugs the guy on top and stops the battle. You don't call that saving someone's life (presuming that officer was in mortal danger)?

Or would you just prefer links to other stories detailing citizens using firearms to safe their own lives or lives of others? How about a Sexual Assault Victim (LINK) who is at knifepoint but grabs her gun and shoots her attacker?

Or the 15 year old boy who took his father's AR15 (LINK) and shot a burglar in order to protect himself and his 12 year old sister.

Or the 12 year old girl (LINK) who used the family firearm to defend herself against an intruder while she was home alone.

On a side note; teach your kids about firearms, don't hide them in a safe. A firearm needs to be accessible if the need arises.