Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i know people that make do with much less than that, even for families. So yes it is possible just have to know how to stretch your money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    $35 a day would barely cover food. Wouldn't even begin to pay bills. But you know what? I fully support getting people back to work. Welfare should be to help you in a bad situation, people should never get paid to do nothing but lay on their backs and have kids.
    I live on 65 dollars a week for food, actually. It's not hard if you're single and you shop strategically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Would be roughly 440€/month for me. My current apartment rent is 420€... so, no.
    What would be 420€? $35/day is about 807€/month.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Uh...for those of you who say $35 a day cannot even cover food, I don't want to know what you're eating. Because even a Chipotle burrito is $6, and that's easily about 2 meals.

A lot of people in my country live for that or less. So... Yes.
    And we dont have it much cheaper here (some stuff is, but not as much as youd expect), we can simply afford less.

Deleted
    Needs:
    Mortgage is £500
    Food is £200
    Gas & Electric is about £70, due to increase soon though.
    Water is about £25.

Wants:
    Internet is £10
    TV Licence is about £10
    Car tax is about £20
    Car insurance is about £55
    Fuel is between £60-100
    Phone is £20
    Gym is £40
    Contact Len's are £20

£=$AU is £1 to $1.54AU.

Need cost: $1224
    Need + wants cost: $1585.

$35*28 = $980.

No.
    Last edited by mmoc59eefffc0e; 2013-01-03 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Uh...for those of you who say $35 a day cannot even cover food, I don't want to know what you're eating. Because even a Chipotle burrito is $6, and that's easily about 2 meals.
    Chipotle is rice, beans, some form of meet cut up so its like half a serving, sauces, spices, and a wrap, right? I could probably get all of the ingredients for 15-20 bucks and be able to make 8 burritos off of that. In fact, it seems like a very cost effective meal considering how cheap the vast majority of the ingredients are.

Though, I've never tried a chipotle burrito myself... can't really eat out much

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I live on 65 dollars a week for food, actually. It's not hard if you're single and you shop strategically.
    Indeed, i live off 100 a month, so 25 a week.
    And I cook like a boss, mediterranean and asian, love cooking.
    Never lacked anything food wise.

Just cook in bulk, cook for 2 days in a row or so and save quite a lot of money.
    Or you can cook for every meal as i sometimes do, but it jumps the cost to around 150 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Indeed, i live off 100 a month, so 25 a week.
    And I cook like a boss, mediterranean and asian, love cooking.
    Never lacked anything food wise.

Just cook in bulk, cook for 2 days in a row or so and save quite a lot of money.
    Or you can cook for every meal as i sometimes do, but it jumps the cost to around 150 a month.
    Well I guess they feed at McDonalds and such for every meal, every day... that would explain a bit.

Though, I've never tried a chipotle burrito myself... can't really eat out much
    Chipotle is eating like a god. If you ever come back to the USA, I highly recommend it.

/cast Peer Pressure

people just waste a lot of money in useless stuff
    mx17 alienware
    Slightly ironic but I won't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    What would be 420€? $35/day is about 807€/month.
    That figure is for families?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Chipotle is eating like a god. If you ever come back to the USA, I highly recommend it.

/cast Peer Pressure
    I'm in the US for at least three more years, haha. I'm sure I'll come across it some time. I suppose I could shift out my weekly "Chinese" food takeout for chipotle.. I did make a new years resolution to start challenging my patterns after all.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think people needs to learn to prioritize, if you're out of a job and on welfare, car insurance and gas prices aren't the top of the list. Nor do you need some 2 bedroom, massive balcony appartment and claim it's "rent". No, that's luxury you can't afford, 1 bedroom first floor for you sir!

Welfare is suppose to just keep you alive, it's not suppose to support hobbies, social events, or anything out of the ordinary. You're not suppose to live a normal life on it, cause why the fuck would you get a job then?

It also depends on where you live of course, the $35 you're talking about give you 5 times as much leisure in some of the eastern european countries compared to norways, where I'm from. Shit's expensive here D:

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually live on less than that.
    Let's see..
    Average 32 hours a week, roughly 4 weeks per month
    32 * 4 = 128
    I make 8.65/hr, so
    128 * 8.65 = $1107.20 Gross
    I'd say, on average, about 15% is taken out for taxes
    1107.2 * 0.85 = $941.12 Net
    Figure 30 days per month average,
    941.12 / 30 = ~31.37/day

Granted, I'm luck and live in a 3BR apartment with all utilties covered with several friends, so my rent is only $175/month, we each put in $50/month ($25 per paycheck) for groceries, $15/m for internet. I pay $40/month for my cell. $15/m for wow, $10/m web hosting. I don't currently have a car (I live in town and can walk to work or catch rides)
    In total, that's $305/month living expenses. Or only $10/day to live.

I live very comfortably, actually. I usually always have weed to smoke, food to eat, and alcohol to get drunk. Sure, I'd love to make more money, and I have a REALLY good potential job coming up in the next few months.

You can easily cover all basic needs as a single person making $35/day, at least in my area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I could... but damn life would be boring, I wouldn't be able to buy much.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mother lives on €70 a week. And my father and I live on €100 a week (Not counting all of the bills, just for food etc). It's really not hard, at all xD

I'm in the US for at least three more years, haha. I'm sure I'll come across it some time. I suppose I could shift out my weekly "Chinese" food takeout for chipotle.. I did make a new years resolution to start challenging my patterns after all.
    Chinese food is also good. Panda Express or Leann Chinn, go!

Don't settle for Chipotle knockoffs though, they aren't the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can live on ZERO pounds/dollars/etc if you put your mind to it.

Off the grid, somewhere far from the gibbering fools than inhabit most of the Western world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh come now, Ruk, you can't even get a good lobster at a restaurant these days for less than $20.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!