Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    In the UK living off £22.63 a day does sound feasible but if we're including all of our bills I can imagine for those with a mortgage and car insurance as well as children this may not be enough but for people with less responsibility then I think this is enough.

£22.63 x 7 = £158.41

Rent = £75
    Council Tax = £14
    Gas = £10
    Electric = £10
    Water = £12
    Total before Food = £121
    Leaving a total of £37 Per week for Food, Random bills (telephone, Broadband, TV License, Insurance, Travel Expenses, Car etc)

Imo No, £22.63 per day is not some thing the avarage person could live off. once you factor in all other bills and expenses you will end up in debit to someone some where. Whilst I agree it should used to help people find work and be able to support themselves it should not put you into debit. if it was £32 (an extra £1.4 per day) it would make a huge amount of difference, but not enough to for people to live off the state.

ok, I'll round it down to AU$18 US$19 EU14.50.

Kinda should've assumed people would be young and single without familys on mmo, my bad. That's what a single full time student gets with full rental assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    AU$35 US$36.75 EU27.90

FULL STORY (sorry it isn't the official report but it stats the facts well enough)

Recently in Australia there was an all around reduction change to welfare benefits in which parents were set up to lose up to AU$110 in child payments when the child hits 8, this plan is to get back the employment. The base payment to "newstart" has been reduced so that a person out of work would be left with $35 a day to live which includes everything the person needs to live.

The government has admitted living on this would be difficult but again stated it's designed to get people into the work force which can be very difficult here. The story is about a government official saying she could live on $35 a day. She current earns ~$6300 a week, 25 times the amount she thinks she could live on.

I was wondering how this would be possible with the other currencies and could you live for several years on these payments.

P.S Story is a few days old but search found nothing so sorry if it's been posted before.
    In Serbia, the average monthly payroll is 265 euros. So yes, i could.

EDIT: Lowest is 250 euros, but counting how the country is shitty and there's a lot of corruption, the lowest is 210 euros per month ( have 2 of my friends who survive with that )
    Last edited by Baloneyz; 2013-01-03 at 03:05 PM.

Could you? Yes. I am right now, as I'm a student without a job. There are a lot of things that a regular life on a regular income includes that you do not need and can live without just fine.

Set aside 4 euro/day for food, put the rest towards rent/bills/transportation/insurance.

You will find that you can live just fine. You won't be eating any steaks or drinking soda, but you don't need to. You also probably won't be saving up much, other than what you use on present for birthdays/christmas. Get a job, and suddenly you can start eating a lot more interesting, get a new computer every other year, etc. I should add to this that I live in Copenhagen, not exactly one of the cheaper places in the world to live. So people in other places could definitely do it too.
    Last edited by Sevyvia; 2013-01-03 at 03:06 PM.

Why do people make threads like this? No one is being expected to live on $35 a day. They're reducing the payments for mothers with school age children who have no excuse not to be rejoining the work force at least on a part time basis where even on minimum wages working 4 hours a day would more than treble your income. If they were physically disabled, they'd be getting disability support pensions. These are people who are just being lazy. It's also setting a terrible example for their kids if they refuse to go back to work while physically able to the detriment of their living standards.

This is also in one of the few countries where there are enough jobs to employee pretty much everyone who is physically and mentally capable of working. Oh, what a hard life.

AU$35 US$36.75 EU27.90

FULL STORY (sorry it isn't the official report but it stats the facts well enough)

Recently in Australia there was an all around reduction change to welfare benefits in which parents were set up to lose up to AU$110 in child payments when the child hits 8, this plan is to get back the employment. The base payment to "newstart" has been reduced so that a person out of work would be left with $35 a day to live which includes everything the person needs to live.

The government has admitted living on this would be difficult but again stated it's designed to get people into the work force which can be very difficult here. The story is about a government official saying she could live on $35 a day. She current earns ~$6300 a week, 25 times the amount she thinks she could live on.

I was wondering how this would be possible with the other currencies and could you live for several years on these payments.

P.S Story is a few days old but search found nothing so sorry if it's been posted before.
    Let's see $35.00 a day... roughly $1050.00 a month? Yeah that would be doable since you wouldn't need to drive to work everyday... it's enough to cover the basics... but the more important question is why would you need to live on it for several years? Get your lazy ass up and find a job. You want more money... then work for a living.

Deleted
    ok, I'll round it down to AU$18 US$19 EU14.50.

Kinda should've assumed people would be young and single without familys on mmo, my bad. That's what a single full time student gets with full rental assistance.
    It's rather close to what I'm receiving, which is 399,60€/mo, or 13.30€ a day.

Life's good.

Lol wut,

Okay I know your speaking from a pov of parents but if I can feed myself and provide transport to college + Training three times a week for 20-25 quid GBP (roughly 40 USD) 7 days a week (college 5 days a week, training on thursday friday saturday), thats two meals a day, I'm pretty sure a family could live on it, maybe not a luxury live style but not many do,

But if bills are included in that 28 dollars, then thats ridiculous, then again I'd need to know more about the welfare system, dole / other benefits if the family is allowed to work etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ryve View Post
    This is also in one of the few countries where there are enough jobs to employee pretty much everyone who is physically and mentally capable of working. Oh, what a hard life.
    Pretty much correct, though I'll have to look into the details of the changes to newstart. I doubt they're going to push it down to $18 a day; $180-200/week should be more than enough. At least where I live, it really is not difficult to get to at least first interview with an employer, and enough saturation will get you a job. Even if you're not physically or mentally capable, your prospective employers will still get benefits from hiring you.

£22.63 a day is about £630 a month
    Current UK benefit would give me about £580 a month
    I currently earn £640 a month (cant find full time 25-35hrs atm)
    After tax thats about £480, or £17.14 a day
    Roughly AU26.50 a day.

Benefits higher than working? I dont even qualify for housing so my benefit would only be £45 a week.

But then im probably a lot better off than some people.
    Never argue with and idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Some people should be forced to re-level their toons, and pay more attention to the process...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Where I live, rent+utilities+vehicle+food+gas(just to get back and forth to work and grocery store) comes to 59.46 a day.
    Where I live in Canada, using rent+utilities+food+gas = $66.66 per day.
    I also smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, while is an additional $14 which isn't in the calculations above.

$19 for just me? Maybe if I had a house or place that I didn't need to pay a mortgage/rent, didn't need to go anywhere (as in gas or bus fare), didn't have to pay bills including luxuries like cable and internet or a cell phone.

Probably not lol. I mean if I had to, I wouldn't die, but I wouldn't live anything close to "well."

Deleted
    Single yeah no problem. With dependants? not a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    35 Aussie Dollars is £22.39. This is £156.73 per week according to Experia.

My accomodation at university right now (pays for all bills and most importantly, food) is £180 a week, so no.

However next year (starting September) the house I'm renting with friends ends up as I think it's £93 a week for both house and bills. Student food budget in Nottingham is probably no more than £30 a week so we'll do the high estimate and go for that. That leaves another £35 on going out, transport and buying booze. Going out twice a week would be about £10 on tickets, cab would be no more than £2 each way due to cab sharing so another £8 there, leaving another £17 for alcohol which is pretty tight and I spend more than that now but it'll go down once I finish my first year.

However none of that includes phone bill which I think my current package is £20, can probably get that down to £10, meaning that the booze budget shrinks to £7. But then I'd need some left over for various other bits, so that £7 would go on it or the booze would be included in food. Then imagine having a kid in that... yeah... no buying of anything like clothes for yourself and living off bare minimum. Would really struggle to do that next year.

Then on top of all of this I've not paid any taxes... So yeah it's suddenly really tight. Can forget going out obviously as the first one to cut but it'd still be tight.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-01-03 at 03:16 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    35 Aussie Dollars is £22.39. This is £156.73 per week.

My accomodation at university right now (pays for all bills and most importantly, food) is £180 a week, so no.

However next year (starting September) the house I'm renting with friends ends up as I think it's £93 a week for both house and bills. Student food budget in Nottingham is probably no more than £30 a week so we'll do the high estimate and go for that. That leaves another £35 on going out, transport and buying booze. Going out twice a week would be about £10 on tickets, cab would be no more than £2 each way due to cab sharing so another £8 there, leaving another £17 for alcohol which is pretty tight and I spend more than that now but it'll go down once I finish my first year.

However none of that includes phone bill which I think my current package is £20, can probably get that down to £10, meaning that the booze budget shrinks to £7. But then I'd need some left over for various other bits, so that £7 would go on it or the booze would be included in food. Then imagine having a kid in that... yeah... no buying of anything like clothes for yourself and living off bare minimum. Would really struggle to do that next year.
    There's your problem. Alcohol is, at least in Australia, a very expensive luxury item, especially if you're drinking at a bar. Turn going out twice a week into going out once a month and you'll have fixed that right up.

10+ Year Old Account
    in canada wen i was going to school on welfare because of family reason i recive 495 per month or 15.97$ a day

I do, so yes... it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Pretty much correct, though I'll have to look into the details of the changes to newstart. I doubt they're going to push it down to $18 a day; $180-200/week should be more than enough. At least where I live, it really is not difficult to get to at least first interview with an employer, and enough saturation will get you a job. Even if you're not physically or mentally capable, your prospective employers will still get benefits from hiring you.
    This is what I agree with, being unemployed and sitting around living on that, you deserve it. It's a lot harder for a student to get a job because the employer has to fit to your timetable a lot of employers just don't do that. At least that was in the 40 or jobs I tried to get.

I could easily do it, my wife on the other hand.... No way in hell.

This is what I agree with, being unemployed and sitting around living on that, you deserve it. It's a lot harder for a student to get a job because the employer has to fit to your timetable a lot of employers just don't do that. At least that was in the 40 or jobs I tried to get.
    Yeah, full-time students really get the rough end of the stick, and without parental assistance/homegrown trust fund(work fulltime for 5 years before going to uni lol) you're gonna have a terrible time. Even then, the list of full-time courses that will be anything other than a hole in your pocket is awfully slim.