Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Everyone calm down! We will assemble a group outside the village. Be sure to get your pitchforks and torches, this beast has nowhere to run...
    Pitchfork... but but buuuuuuut!
    *points at Scythe with pouty lips*

10+ Year Old Account
    Time Travel does exist... I drive from my house to a friends, it takes 30min and I travel about 30km.

Time(30min)Travel(30km) yay!
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Everyone calm down! We will assemble a group outside the village. Be sure to get your pitchforks and torches, this beast has nowhere to run...
    We can't let him find out he's actually right.

That'd be just awful for humanity as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    You crazy fire-people.... reality is clearly a sequence of frozen images that we hop between from one to another, all of which exist simultaneously with no concept of time or motion.
    In other words... time travel by hopping!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Ha! someone took the bait
    Eh, it's a very common thing for people to bring up - I seem to debate it in every time travel thread >_>

Speed or gravitational changes will decrease the rate of entropy, which explains why clocks will slow down at high speeds during the tests that were done.
    I keep re-reading this but I can't get it to make sense to me.

There are 2 theories on how it works, both have the same result really and same applications, but one see's time as a dimension and thus manipulable in terms of "time travel", the other doesnt and says that while it is very cute and dandy, we cant travel in it because there is "nothing" to travel by.
    What two theories? As far as I know there's only one, relativity. What's the other one? Whatever it is, it has to be at least as successful as relativity.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    1/10

Seriously, that's wrong on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin.
    Hahaha best possible answer.

OT: 1/10

10+ Year Old Account
    NOOOOOOOOOOO. I couldn't stop laughing once you said that falling asleep sends you to a different dimension.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Of course time exists. How else do you explain General Relativity? Time dilation?
    "The second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom."
    theres ur "time". Time = atoms moving
    its basically just a word

Quote Originally Posted by kallekaka View Post
    "The second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom."
    theres ur "time". Time = atoms moving
    Why the hell do people keep saying this every single thread despite the obvious stupidity? Come on. In what universe does "second" equals "time"? I mean, just look at the words:
    1) second
    2) time

It's not even the same length! The second is a unit of time. It does not equal time. This is as stupid as saying that the metre is "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second." Therefore, "length = light moving."

It's silly and it's ridiculous.

You don't go into another dimension when you sleep and your body continues to age while you're asleep. It's not time travel in any way, shape, or form. /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not time travel. You lose your perception when you sleep, but you still physically move through time at the same rate as the person who stays awake.
    Putin khuliyo

And there I thought time travel saved our body as well... magically it gets older by the hours we slept... damn!

False.

You can only achieve time travel by traveling between the different time zones.

not really
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

In other words... time travel by hopping!

Eh, it's a very common thing for people to bring up - I seem to debate it in every time travel thread >_>

I keep re-reading this but I can't get it to make sense to me.

What two theories? As far as I know there's only one, relativity. What's the other one? Whatever it is, it has to be at least as successful as relativity.
    Yeah i usually start those debates :P Its fun.

I explain badly when im tired, im sorry :'(

I dont mean 2 theories as in seperate theories, but two ideas derived from the same theory? good lord i should go to sleep, basically there is a group that denies the existence of time in the concept that it is a dimension and there is the one that accepts it, both follow the same general idea but have different ideas about that idea, erm... if that helps?

About that part you dont make sense of, its... complicated, i have enough knowledge to understand where the people come from, but not enough to explain it in a way that is understandable, basically i dont know enough.

The best way i can put it, is:
    The tests were done by putting an atomic clock into a rocket and have it orbit the planet for a time, and checking for discrepancies between that clock and the one on earth.
    Now, all clocks, atomic or not work by the same principle, by counting the cycles of a resonator, the cycles on an atomic clock come from the frequency of the microwave electromagnetic radiation emitted or absorbed by the energy change of an atom or molecule used as a resonator, which is affected by speed.

Now what is actually happening there is what is up to debate, if it is simply slowing down the speed at which the atoms can vibrate due to gravitational forces thus being akin to putting food in the freezer to preserve it longer because it takes longer for it to deteriorate, or if it is affecting something else such as say "time" as a dimension.

Then again, i dont know enough to put it in better words, and i am far too tired (going to sleep :P) to make an effort :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    basically there is a group that denies the existence of time in the concept that it is a dimension and there is the one that accepts it, both follow the same general idea but have different ideas about that idea, erm... if that helps?
    No... its not following the "same general idea" if you reject General Relativity's treamtment of spacetime...

Now what is actually happening there is what is up to debate, if it is simply slowing down the speed at which the atoms can vibrate due to gravitational forces thus being akin to putting food in the freezer to preserve it longer because it takes longer for it to deteriorate, or if it is affecting something else such as say "time" as a dimension.
    No, that's really just an argument from ignorance. Your alternative explanation amounts to "I don't know why this happens so I'm going to say it's because lack of gravity makes atoms vibrate less". Time dilation caused by the nature of spacetime itself is well explained by General Relativity, which has been vetted and validated by numerous experimental evidence.You can't selectively reject relativity - you need to at least produce a new theory that can reproduce ALL of relativity's previous successes.

Funny post, too bad about the uptight people coming in here with their logic. They must be fun at parties.

Deleted
    Haven't read any of the posts, but all I can say is that yes, time travel is real. They were experimenting on some microbes and it worked. It's just going to pass some time before it will be tested on bigger scale. It's the same with teleportation, they teleported beams of light and the same as with travel, it will take a lot of time before we see that develop a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    False.

You can only achieve time travel by traveling between the different time zones.

not really
    Yea, China operates under a single time zone so some places the sun rises at 5 and others at 10 - you cant explain that!

No... its not following the "same general idea" if you reject General Relativity's treamtment of spacetime...

No, that's really just an argument from ignorance. Your alternative explanation amounts to "I don't know why this happens so I'm going to say it's because lack of gravity makes atoms vibrate less". Time dilation caused by the nature of spacetime itself is well explained by General Relativity, which has been vetted and validated by numerous experimental evidence.You can't selectively reject relativity - you need to at least produce a new theory that can reproduce ALL of relativity's previous successes.
    Mhm you are right.

Again im not able to explain myself properly, besides it is not my theory so i cant really defend it :P
    They are not rejecting the General Relativity, they are arguing on the specifics of what exactly is happening.
    The data is there, just the interpretation is different, none of it invalidates the theory or the data simply what different groups make of it, sadly i cant put it in better terms, been too long since i had interest in it and spent time reading, at the time the arguments were quite convincing and made sense so it is a relic of 6 years ago to which I still hold a degree of preference but no longer able to maintain "why".

And i do need to sleep :P

if I ever invent time travel, i will come back to this day, this hour and this minute, and will post something about future exactly 20 seconds later from this post. this i vow.

Quote Originally Posted by madokbro View Post
    if I ever invent time travel, i will come back to this day, this hour and this minute, and will post something about future exactly 20 seconds later from this post. this i vow.
    Times up, failed