Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do we celebrate make a big deal out of birthdays

If you think about it all we do is celebrate being another year closer to being stuffed in a coffin. Why are people happy about being closer to being dead? I always thought birthdays should be an event that you mourn rather than celebrate. Anyone else think the same way?

10+ Year Old Account
    No because your plan is a morbid one.

I'd rather take the day as a day to celebrate and get gifts and eat cake rather than mourn my inevitable demise.
    Putin khuliyo

Nope. With this attitude we would have much more suiciders I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an excuse to throw a party and have fun. Why wouldn't you celebrate?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I too do find birthdays pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If you think about it all we do is celebrate being another year closer to being stuffed in a coffin. Why are people happy about being closer to being dead? I always thought birthdays should be an event that you mourn rather than celebrate. Anyone else think the same way?
    So spending time celebrating Birthdays seems pointless...but you'd rather earmark a day every year to be miserable and mourning your mortality?

You must be fun at parties.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkele View Post
    I too do find birthdays pointless.
    I hate Birthdays and make a point of not celebrating it for any of my family (including kids)

I would rather buy them presents on other days of the year except for Birthdays....maybe they are missing out on something important but it's just how i feel. I hope they will forgive me if they are scarred for life because of this :/

Deleted
    I always make morbid jokes on my birthday but gladly accept any gift =D

ill never die. what now pizza man?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Because I'd rather eat cake and jump in a bounce house than mope about on the day of my birth.

Deleted
    I usually take the day off to myself just doing normal things. I am not a fan of large crowd gatherings or the celebration of "I've survived another year".

It is a kind of a social dogma to give and receive presents on birthdays, which I don't agree with. I've always refused presents from my parents due to economic reasons and if someone really wants to gift me something, he won't need an occasion to do so.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    cause why not

Because people aren't celebrating being a year closer to death, they're celebrating their birthday and another year they're alive. What a stupid way to look at something.

Maybe when you're 40 or 50 years old and you start worrying about your life you might not enjoy a birthday as much, but that doesn't mean people should instead go.. "Oh, man today is my birthday... I better go get a box of tissues and cry in a corner because I'm closer to death. Boo hoo".

Deleted
    It's an old tradition from back in the days when it was hard to survive. You celebrated that you managed to keep yourself alive for another year.
    It kinda still applies even though it's not as hard to stay alive now as it was 50-100+ years ago.

Deleted
    Because being depressed sucks. How do you even come up with those thoughts, we have enough of those threads already:

Why do we celebrate New Years
    Why do we celebrate Christmas

For all I care you can go sit in a corner depressed on your birthday, but I will eat cake and get presents.

I am going to make a thread soon: Why don't you just celebrate along and be happy for once.

PS: no offense to anyone before I get infracted again.

Isn't it more your family celebrate it for you? It's almost kind of like, they're happy they had you and you are alive and well? I bet many people wish people did make a fuss on their birthday.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    I hate Birthdays and make a point of not celebrating it for any of my family (including kids)

I would rather buy them presents on other days of the year except for Birthdays....maybe they are missing out on something important but it's just how i feel. I hope they will forgive me if they are scarred for life because of this :/
    -_-

No words...no words....

You really don't cele...never mind. I do not want to get myself infracted.

Deleted
    No idea, I've always disliked it, stopped celebrating it eventually. Too many people, too much to think about, too much that I can be without.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its celebrating you. Your life. Not your death. If all you can think about is the future and death you need to change the paradigm your mind is in.
    Call me House.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    I will point and laugh at you if you get infracted.
    Yes, because you are just mean.