Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Yes, because you are just mean.
    I love it though, don't you enjoy teasing and being mean? It's all just a mindfuck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    I love it though, don't you enjoy teasing and being mean? It's all just a mindfuck.
    Nope, not really. I get mad at people who do, including friends and then proceed to ignore them until they apologize.

When they go too far I mean, not when they just joke around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Nope, not really. I get mad at people who do, including friends and then proceed to ignore them until they apologize.

When they go too far I mean, not when they just joke around.
    And you were just talking about other people being joykills <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    And you were just talking about joykills <3
    Unpleasant and mean people ARE joykills.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisif View Post
    I hate Birthdays and make a point of not celebrating it for any of my family (including kids)

I would rather buy them presents on other days of the year except for Birthdays....maybe they are missing out on something important but it's just how i feel. I hope they will forgive me if they are scarred for life because of this :/
    Well, the level of scarring depends on how you explain things to them. If you explain that you'd rather not celebrate birthdays for, <insert reason here>, and tell them you would rather give gifts or do fun things not out of an obligation, but as a true reward, they would probably be fairly understanding and learn to appreciate your views.

At the same time, if you don't allow them to go to birthday parties for their friends and they become a social pariah, you probably aren't doing them any favors.

Its more for kids i think, to give them something to be happy about and celebrate. As you get older birthdays matter less and eventually you dont really celebrate it. My birthday celebration consist of my dad giving me 100$ and a pat on the back. Which is better than nothing.

Deleted
    I think people focus too much on things to have points. I don't care about why we celebrate on birthdays. I'm having fun. Isn't that enough?

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its a great reason to catch up with people and have a drink.

Plus life's worth celebrating!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much a celebration of being closer to death as it is a celebration of the anniversary you were given life :>

Plus there's only two 'holidays' I willingly celebrate at all, Birthdays and New Years so don't take one away from me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    It's not so much a celebration of being closer to death as it is a celebration of the anniversary you were given life :>

Plus there's only two 'holidays' I willingly celebrate at all, Birthdays and New Years so don't take one away from me!
    Yeah, I was going to basically say this. Except I celebrate like every holiday! That's what they're for, to keep our lives entertaining. It seems like a weird thing to question having a reason to celebrate, especially when you're celebrating the day you entered this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    This couldn't be more simple than killing the Batman. People like to feel special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Because celebrating is wonderful!

"Dude! You survived another whole year!" Don't belittle survival.

OP might make more sense to me if we all had, say, only 65 years (guaranteed) of life. We'd know what the countdown was, we'd know how fast the sand was running through our personal hourglass. But we don't. None of us do. Some don't even make it to the labor room, some don't last a year, others last into the triple digits.

If you spend your time obsessing over your own death, likely so distant it's not even in "sight" (thus you're imagining all sorts of faces on it that suit your mood) you're not paying attention to Now, to the people around you, if people aren't your thing the alternative is that you're not paying attention to the amazing day to day realities of our existence. Your heart is still pumping. A single cell from the heart knows what it's supposed to do - that sucker will try to work solo. It's freaking amazing there are so many species of life with pumping hearts in them. We might not be around long by way of millenia, but that we've existed at all is to be noticed (at least by ourselves) and celebrated. I enjoy taking a chair and sitting outside in my backyard; my husband cannot fathom what sort of pleasure I get from listening to the wind in the trees, feeling the wind and the heat of the sun on my skin, listening to neighborhood sounds (landscaping, pets, children, chatting adults, maybe the splash of a canon ball into the pool, the jingle of my dogs' tags on their collars).

Yes, death is coming. There's nothing you can really do about it other than not do stupid things. It'll have you ... for however long you believe that lasts. In the mean time, cake, candy, sprinkles, laughter, alcohol, loud music, sex, something that's not a lack of existence.

My birthdays, I just want a dinner out with a person or three I value in my life. I don't want an expensive dinner, I'll pay for us all myself (and I have), I just want time spent out with people I care about. It's an "event" to look forward to, and it marks time and creates pleasant memories. If you're an adult, you get to choose how you want to spend your birthdays - you can mope, you can hint that you're into surprise parties, you can take a solo road trip, you can treat it like any other day, you can spend the night out on someone else's dime, you can try something new, you can stick to tradition. If your birthdays suck, choose to make them not suck even if your choice of celebration doesn't fall right on your birthday.

I wouldn't say adults make "a big deal" out of adult birthdays. Adults make a big deal out of kids' birthdays, and adults choose how to deal with their own birthdays in ways that suit their personalities. Party people want parties, but most people I know aren't party people. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    go join the jehovas witnesses they dont celebrate their birthdays
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Yeah, I was going to basically say this. Except I celebrate like every holiday! That's what they're for, to keep our lives entertaining. It seems like a weird thing to question having a reason to celebrate, especially when you're celebrating the day you entered this world.
    Indeed. They're holidays so take them as they come.

Hell, I'll celebrate both Hannukah and Christmas, I don't give a crap!
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    If you think about it all we do is celebrate being another year closer to being stuffed in a coffin. Why are people happy about being closer to being dead? I always thought birthdays should be an event that you mourn rather than celebrate. Anyone else think the same way?
    How do birthdays celebrate being closer to death? It is a scientific fact that the more birthdays you have, the longer you live.

It would be celebrating death if you somehow knew when you would die, and started doing a countdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    How do birthdays celebrate being closer to death? It is a scientific fact that the more birthdays you have, the longer you live.

It would be celebrating death if you somehow knew when you would die, and started doing a countdown.
    You know it wont be more than 115 and most likely around 80 years for most people, so now that Im 40 I know the rest is down hill and it wont be long before my time comes so Id rather not celebrate being older

Capitalism.
    That is your answer, birthdays create money, money feeds greed.

Deleted
    Meh, stopped "celebrating" my birthday since 14 years. It's just a waste of money, and energy. Also, I hate people in my house.
    Used to "celebrate" for the sake of presents ( or money in my case ), but then it just got annoying.

The same goes for other holidays, such a christmas, new year etc. They are nothing special. No reason to celebrate.

Also, here's a good song about birthday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ_ZQkV58Cc

also, OP is right. We're celebrating a year closer to death.
    Last edited by mmocf002b94213; 2013-01-04 at 02:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Capitalism.
    That is your answer, birthdays create money, money feeds greed.

No, Birthdays are more then that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi