Deleted

New Moderators - "Lore Police"

Based on the rules of this forum, PirateBoard (One Piece Fanpage). There you cant just spew some shit outa your mouth which got produced in a short brain blackout or whatsoever.

I hate when people join threads about lore or character discussions and are simply free to post some crap which isnt true. Why dont people get punished for spreading misinformation? Look at every thread where Sylvanas, Garrosh and and newly Jaina is mentioned... 9 out of 10 pages is bullshit. I understand that its an ambitious job if you're a Mod on MMO-C.... oh wait, actually it isnt. But I'm still sure you could find lore stoked fans who're interested in moderating WoW lore on this forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lore is generally written as ambiguous and multi-pronged; telling people there's a "right" answer to this moral quandary or a "right" interpretation of this character is a little silly. It would just be pushing our own personal interpretations of the story as gospel.

I mean, if one's stance is heavily flawed or rooted in misinformation, then people usually link sources to (attempt to, at least) correct it. That's just the essence of debate.

Any examples of what you mean, though?
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-01-03 at 11:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The lore is generally written as ambiguous and multi-pronged; telling people there's a "right" answer to this moral quandary or a "right" interpretation of this character is a little silly. It would just be pushing our own personal interpretations of the story as gospel.

I mean, if one's stance is heavily flawed or rooted in misinformation, then people usually link sources to (attempt to, at least) correct it. That's just the essence of debate.

Any examples of what you mean, though?
    Lore in One Piece is, while a different one, pretty much as complex and also wrote from different perspectives. If you require a reason behind peoples opinions and theories, it'd improve discussions already by a mile.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 12:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    You cant exactly ban someone for being wrong about WoW lore.
    Ban isnt necassery, just like the police doesnt put you into jail for whatever reason.

They should act as fact checker and moderate lore discussions.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone is posting inaccurate information -- on any topic -- the response one should take is to reply with the correct information and, if possible, a source.

It's not really appropriate for moderators to be "punishing" people for being wrong, particularly when we're talking about a fluid fictionalised story. Keep in mind that when people post claims that are inaccurate, they are rarely doing so maliciously and are usually simply misinformed, in which case the best response is education not punitive measures.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have moderators dealing with the content of the forums as well as the conduct of the posters, you get two things: 1, a seriously clogged down system with moderators getting reports for every tiny dispute with often no clear cut answer, and 2, insertion of subjectivity into moderator judgement in terms of which line of lore is acceptable and which is not, which is far more arbitrary than, say, did this guy call this other guy a stupid person.

It's a good thought, but on a forum this large and not focused on One Piece (or even WoW) lore exclusively it isn't a feasible solution. Correct what you can, report posts that violate forum rules of conduct, and if people are trolling with completely wrong lore, you can always ignore that poster.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-04 at 12:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    If someone is posting inaccurate information -- on any topic -- the response one should take is to reply with the correct information and, if possible, a source.

It's not really appropriate for moderators to be "punishing" people for being wrong, particularly when we're talking about a fluid fictionalised story. Keep in mind that when people post claims that are inaccurate, they are rarely doing so maliciously and are usually simply misinformed, in which case the best response is education not punitive measures.
    I'm not talking about this type of people. I'm talking of the people posting in the most recent thread on this topic: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Garrosh/page11

Used to raid with a lore nut, when he would start in I would scream into vent "!@#$#$!@ lore", he would leave raid, log out and we could move along at a decent pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    I'm not talking about this type of people. I'm talking of the people posting in the most recent thread on this topic: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Garrosh/page11
    Just as an FYI: linking to a page rather than a specific post (check the number above/right their post) doesn't work, as you can change the number of posts per page and your page 11 is probably not my page 11.

But ultimately, I don't think it really matters even if there are people maliciously posting false data rather than just being uninformed or having a unique interpretation. Playing fact police is not a mod's domain and I don't think it should be. It's far better for the other people participating in the discussion to correct inaccuracies and provide citations for their position then to propose that moderators censor and/or punish people for being wrong. This is really true regardless of topic or intent.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Based on the rules of this forum, PirateBoard (One Piece Fanpage). There you cant just spew some shit outa your mouth which got produced in a short brain blackout or whatsoever.

I hate when people join threads about lore or character discussions and are simply free to post some crap which isnt true. Why dont people get punished for spreading misinformation? Look at every thread where Sylvanas, Garrosh and and newly Jaina is mentioned... 9 out of 10 pages is bullshit. I understand that its an ambitious job if you're a Mod on MMO-C.... oh wait, actually it isnt. But I'm still sure you could find lore stoked fans who're interested in moderating WoW lore on this forum.
    9/10 got a life*

Please post without using insults.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2013-01-04 at 12:20 AM.

If you think someone is spreading misinformation maliciously definitely report them that will at least point it out to use to look at specifically. If it's something that is a fact... like saying Jaina not Garrosh had the mana bomb dropped on Theramore then it really would be best to point out the incorrectness and point them to the source to see for themselves. If after that point they keep insisting about it report them/PM a mod in the forum or a Blue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    If you think someone is spreading misinformation maliciously definitely report them that will at least point it out to use to look at specifically. If it's something that is a fact... like saying Jaina not Garrosh had the mana bomb dropped on Theramore then it really would be best to point out the incorrectness and point them to the source to see for themselves. If after that point they keep insisting about it report them/PM a mod in the forum or a Blue.
    Didnt know I could do so - thats what I wanted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    You do know he will go on a report rampage now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Even if I'd care enought, its their duty to take care of the forums.

The lore in WoW is absolutely abysmal; you may be taking this a little too seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If he does, I hope they have rules to punish him for wasting their time on non issues. Sounds like he would report for someone calling Sylvanas Windrunner a Blood Elf instead of a High Elf or some other silly mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    The lore in WoW is absolutely abysmal; you may be taking this a little too seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    If he does, I hope they have rules to punish him for wasting their time on non issues. Sounds like he would report for someone calling Sylvanas Windrunner a Blood Elf instead of a High Elf or some other silly mistake.
    Yeah... no, I actually wouldnt.

I simply hate useless discussions without a direction which destroy the point of forums. But I didnt pay attention to their rule on having to post constructively. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between someone making a mistake (even believing their mistake enough to argue about it) and someone deliberately trolling by misreporting facts that they know to be true. The first is normal discussion; the second we'll moderate.

Note that mods get emails for every post report you send, so if there are several in a single thread or by a particular person, it's probably best to just report one at any given time and make a note on the report that there are other posts as well.