Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Bubble GUM healthy?

Is it? I've been hearing alot of opinions recently.

Some say that specific types are healthy for your teeth, but can anyone supply any source or some kind of proof of this?

There are loads of theories, too many to list. I would like to see them all, for this is the international day of Bubble Gum love!

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume that its relative based on things, like, how much sugar said bubble gum has in it. Also the current state of your teeth; if you have very thin teeth from poor teeth care, constantly biting might be bad in the long term.

Everypony loves Gum, No question about that. Also heard from a reliable souce that its pretty healthy. :>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gum View Post
    Everypony loves Gum, No question about that. Also heard from a reliable souce that its pretty healthy. :>
    Fits like a glove!

But you didn't tell us why it's healthy!

I heard rumours from a paranoid mum once about how chewing it all day would make your stomach stack up on acids with the intent of breaking down the food that you were chewing on, that then never came.

it's loaded with sugar and or sweeteners, raises acidity in the mouth, as well as generates a digestive reaction raising stomach acid...not so much of an issue unless you have acid reflux or ulcers something. The former though can damage the tooth enamel as well as cause an insulin spike, causing fat tissues to absorb glucose and inhibiting fat motility.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Everypony loves Gum
    Please, make it stop. :<

OT: I assume the ones specifically made to help teeth and gums can be healthy, for those parts. But I doubt they're healthy for the rest of your body.

So song as it's sugarfree, I don't see why it would be bad for your health...
    Last edited by ~Valen~; 2013-01-04 at 12:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sugar goes into your gums and can cause problems. The sugarfree ones shouldn't be as bad

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to nibble on gum myself.. but if you have dental work it can mess with that and the sugar has a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Please, make it stop. :<
    Im sorry, didnt realize it offended you. I can tell you i seriously didnt do it on porpuse. Sorwi

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrigleys sugarfree gum is fine and is beneficial to teeth and gums by neutralizing acidity and also can aid digestion (chewing gum on an empty stomach is bad tthough).

The flavoured, sugary bubblegum used to blow bubbles isnt healthy at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    So song as it's sugarfree, I don't see why it would be bad for your health...
    It's curiously artificial. Like chewing on rubber. There could be materials in the gum that could cause serious illnesses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filth the Warlock View Post
    It's curiously artificial. Like chewing on rubber. There could be materials in the gum that could cause serious illnesses.
    Well, its not like their ingredients are a secret - http://www.chewinggumfacts.com/makin...m-ingredients/

I doubt it's healthy, but it's probably not unhealthy either (at least, not any worse than other sugary foods).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Well, its not like their ingredients are a secret - http://www.chewinggumfacts.com/makin...m-ingredients/
    Ooooh.. Fancy. Thanks alot for the link. Very informative.

Are there any dentists out there who can help explain how on earth it can "strengthen" your teeth?

Ooooh.. Fancy. Thanks alot for the link. Very informative.

Are there any dentists out there who can help explain how on earth it can "strengthen" your teeth?
    I'm not sure about strengthening your teeth. Perhaps making your bite stronger as the chewing would be somewhat of an exercise for the jaw muscles.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

help explain how on earth it can "strengthen" your teeth?
    Thats really a good question. Cannot think of any reason as to how it would strengthen teeth. While fluoride might help combat holes in the teeth, or soon to be holes, is that enough to consider gum, Teeth strengthening?

bubble gum is really healthy.

Deleted
    I don't mind if you like the pony thing, I don't even care that you have your own thread...just please don't bring that stuff in normal topics. You got your thread to talk like...whatever that is supposed to be, keep it there.

Ontopic: It depends on wich gum and state of teeth. I doubt people here can help you bring out the truth unless they are dentests or have done tests related to gum. Some are bad and some are healthy...

The most important thing is not the ingredients or the act of chewing it with respect to your teeth.

When you chew gum it causes your mouth to salivate and will activate that part of the brain that says "Ohh, food time!"

Which will make you "hungry," even though you're not...hungry.

You will then snack.

So long run - not that great because you may end up eating more throughout the day than you want, or more importantly, need to.