Page 1 of 46
... LastLast
    Deleted

Falkland Islands - your view

I must start this by stating I am "slightly" bias in this discussion, due to being British. I would also appreciate this not turning into a nation bashing thread (against either the UK or Argentina).

I am genuinely curious as to how the world views the current situation regarding the Falkland Islands. For the uninformed please read the following.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, the Argentina president is stating the UK is going against a UN resolution requesting both nations negotiate regarding the sovereignty of the islands, However David Cameron has stated on more than one occasion that there are three parties involved (not two, as Argentina keep implying), and it is for the islanders themselves to make the desision as to who they are and who they want to be. The islanders will be holding a referendum in May of this year to vote on sovereignty, with which I hope this will finally be put to bed.

I find this hard to argue with, and I think the current stance by Argentina is basically an act of war. In my view, it has nothing to do with the Islands themselves and more to do with the discovery of large oil reserves in the deep ocean beds surrounding them, and now our lovely tabloid newspapers are running wild with the story... . What are your guys views?
    Last edited by mmoc6ea4fad3c3; 2013-01-04 at 08:58 AM.

Argentina has been saber rattling with this nonsense since the early 80's. I'm certain the discovery of oil has absolutely nothing to do with this at all...

If there are native people there, both those countries should GTFO.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by djtravitrav View Post
    Argentina has been saber rattling with this nonsense since the early 80's. I'm certain the discovery of oil has absolutely nothing to do with this at all...
    Oh, there is oil there?

The natives pose a grave threat to American Sovereignty and probably posses WMD's.

Obama wins another Noble Peace Prize for invading the Falklands.

In late Wrath i signed up for a Herald of the titans group on my realm forums. When the day came the group organizer didn't show up until 5 hours later. He explained he was Argentinian and playing on EU he overslept. When i told that to the guild my GM said i can't go do stuff with Argentinians... I still did the run, but it was weird. He was joking of course, but there was something more.

It still puzzles me why Brits have such a bad attitude towards people who want Islands close to their home. On the other hand the GM called me pikey all the time so... He probably is not the greatest example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post

Oh, there is oil there?

The natives pose a grave threat to American Sovereignty and probably posses WMD's.

hurr durrr i listen to fox

Infracted: Please post more respectively and constructively.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-04 at 05:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftmangle View Post

Oh, there is oil there?

You need to read the Wiki article. When the islands were discovered there were no indeginous people who lived there (they are tiny btw). Argentina have never had a presence on the island other than a garrison in the early 1800's. The UK actually discovered and settled the Islands before the nation of Argentina even existed...

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    You need to read the Wiki article. When the islands were discovered there were no indeginous people who lived there (they are tiny btw). Argentina have never had a presence on the island other than a garrison in the early 1800's. The UK actually discovered and settled the Islands before the nation of Argentina even existed...
    indeginous != native

10+ Year Old Account
    Personnaly i think this is just argentinas governemnt distracting from its own problems(its pretty much broke) by saber rattling .

There was no indigenous people there to begin with the spanish i do believe settled there but it never held and they left the british did and it held it wasnt colonisation it was ohh look islands and a nice Naval port for the region lets settle up .Argentina tried the whole invasion thing and they seem to muddy over that fact they sent conscripts too invade an island they had no claim on to begin with .Its closer to argentina but then hey by that logic england is right next door too me i know i,ll claim that and go to the UN and whinge till they give me it .

As it stands the british government are right let the people of the island decide they are there aint they there is no natives there the spanish had a garrison there but they left .The british settled and stayed and now because invading the island got their asses kicked and they are broke too boot they are just been a petulant child trying to justify taking the islands back .

What happens if she gets her way ok argentina here you go the island is yours by order of the UN ok kick the colonists off .......ye see the issue and the reason the british have a military presence there is due to the simple fact it was invaded 30 years ago who wouldnt.

And before anyone states my view is irrelevent i,m from southern ireland we was sort of occupied for a few hundred years by the british .and all i can see now is argentinas government using this as a distraction to hide its own failings at home .

Let the colony decide like it is see what happens there never was any argentinian colonoists there as it never even existed tbh the spanish have mroe claim too the island than argentina does or is it the portugese one of them anyhows,
    Faith Manages

Until the Falkland Islanders say otherwise they will remain British

Case Closed!

No i reckon we need to give those islands back to the natives

Lets all hear the new country of PENGUINIA!

Deleted
    The islanders have been asked repeatedly for their opinion, and they are having a referendum soon. They have continually wanted to remain a part of Britain, even over independance, let alone become part of Argentina.

All this will serve to do is make Argentina as a nation look petulent, because of their petulent leader.

Argentina's obsession over the Falkland islands is akin to some weirdo stalking a celebrity

They need to stop this its getting embarrassing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    I must start this by stating I am "slightly" bias in this discussion, due to being British. I would also appreciate this not turning into a nation bashing thread (against either the UK or Argentina).

I am genuinely curious as to how the world views the current situation regarding the Falkland Islands. For the uninformed please read the following.

Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, the Argentina president is stating the UK is going against a UN resolution requesting both nations negotiate regarding the sovereignty of the islands, However David Cameron has stated on more than one occasion that there are three parties involved (not two, as Argentina keep implying), and it is for the islanders themselves to make the desision as to who they are and who they want to be. The islanders will be holding a referendum in May of this year to vote on sovereignty, with which I hope this will finally be put to bed.

I find this hard to argue with, and I think the current stance by Argentina is basically an act of war. In my view, it has nothing to do with the Islands themselves and more to do with the discovery of large oil reserves in the deep ocean beds surrounding them, and now our lovely tabloid newspapers are running wild with the story... . What are your guys views?
    I know that Argentina is making any and all excuses and rants about it, and I find it pretty stupid. British people live on those isles, and they don't want Argentinian control. That'd be a horrrendous trade-down.

Deleted
    Whatever the islanders want to be, that's what should be. Even if they wanted independance, that should be the case. But for now they want to remain british, so let's honour their wishes. Personally I find it laughable that Argentina even have the slightest claim to the islands at all considering they were in british hands before Argentina was even a nation.

The Falkland Islands has been under British rule for 170 years. The population there are British. The islanders themselves want to be British. It's British territory.

There is no merit to challenging national borders as old as that, especially not against the wishes of the local inhabitants.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Argentina's obsession over the Falkland islands is akin to some weirdo stalking a celebrity
    Actually it's a just their government distracting public opinion away from domestic failures by focusing on foreign issues.

its rigthfully argentina's land..

Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    How exactly?

The land was inhabited before Argentina was even a country!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    It still puzzles me why Brits have such a bad attitude towards people who want Islands close to their home.
    It's natural to have a bad attitude towards enemies who wants to invade your territory and steal your land. "It's closer to us!!!" is not a convincing excuse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    If we're going into that, then America is rightfully the Native's land. Sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Not really big news here tbh, so I don't really have an informed opinion about it, but the british standpoint sounds reasonable imo and I'm sure our PM/government would back Cameron if it was to be brought into any international institution.

So... let the islanders decide themselves.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I hate to enact godwins law

But Hitler thought the same thing about Poland

hey its near our country so it must be ours that is the most stupidest argument you can possible justify in this